-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Here are some pics of an Savage Muzzleloader that exploded. I don't have any details beyond the pictures. I have graphic pictures of the shooters damaged hand but I am hesitant to post them here. [Linked Image]

Attached Images
1C208346.jpg (91.89 KB, 1233 downloads)
1C072977.jpg (97.26 KB, 905 downloads)
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks to me like someone loaded the gun wrong. I have a Savage Muzzleloader and have had no issues with it at all.

Savage is very specific on the load data to use and how to load the gun. If you don't seat the bullet correctly, use a different powder than specified, or throw charges into the barrel that are over spec.

Someone probably decided they knew more than Savage and now has an injury he shouldn't have. I see guys on other forums all the time that think manuals are just a guide, and they load as they feel like.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

actually , from what i understand , the fella was experienced with the savage and had actually done allot of shooting with it . not a new , un experienced person

[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Since posting this I was able to find more info on Toby Bridges website

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Alert2.html

He also listed the load he was using

42.5 grains of IMR 4759 powder, and a 250 grain Barnes bullet

in the Savage Manual it list 43gr of 4759 for a Hornady Sabot. I don't have any experience loading smokeless in a muzzleloader but the manual states that 43gr is okay for both 250gr and 300gr bullets. I would have to imagine that these things are fairly forgiving and 42.5gr doesn't seem excessive.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Is it possible he already had a charge and bullet in it and double loaded?

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, but who is to say this man use this powder, or something else a faster powder, most just think its ok just put some old pistol or maybe 30 something

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Looked at the pics of this guys hand.......I YI YI... sick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I had to guess, I'd say the bullet wasn't seated tightly against the powder charge. that would lead to a detonation effect. That same condition blows up pistols every year because the powder charge is too light and the pressure spikes in a crazy fashion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check this link out and maybe it would shed some light on this whole blow up debate.

http://randywakeman.com/HowToBlowUpASavage10ML.htm

I trust mr Wakeman more than a disgruntled ex-employee who likes to experiment with powder charges.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 02/17/10.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I read from Bridges own writings about how he would overload, double load, and even triple load the Savage to show people how strong it was. If he did half as much of that idiocy as he claimed, that could have weakened the gun (ya think?? crazy) and caused or contributed to the kaboom.

I'm not deterred from using my own Savage but do try to play it safe. So far, I have had no issues but outstanding performance.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
IMO when TB blew his gun , he was doing just what he probably thought he should have been doing . IE defining a base line . Evaluating the firearm
However then not taking into consideration the miss use of the rifle and calling foul when it finally gave up . Regardless of company support . that�s where he went wrong .
It looked to much like he had a bone to pick , instead of staying un bias . Then claiming that in his Opinion the rifle was unsafe .

However this is not TB rifle . We do not know what the circumstances surrounding this failure, was .
Can guns fail that have not been mistreated ?
You bet they can .
Does it happen a lot , Nope .

I also believe that because the shooting world , in general does not know the circumstances� surrounding these failure�s , . we should tread lightly .
The case could be just as easily that this shooter was doing nothing wrong or misused the rifle

Sadly TB has jump on this incident as a way IMO to show nothing but a ; I TOLD YOU SO .
Possibly reducing the credibility of the shooter this happened to .

In time , the truth will come out . But we have to wait for those who can properly investigate and evaluate the situation .
Myself I wouldn�t take savages word on it , anymore then I would take TB�s word on it

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I take it you won't be trying any duplex powder loads anytime soon? wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
With that kind of damage, I would not at all be surprised to find that the rifle was double loaded, and he forgot to take the ramrod out of the barrel.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I think it's pretty simple, stick with book loads or other proven loads and you will be fine. Follow strict loading procedures and have fun. I have shot several thousands rounds out of mine and still have all my fingers!!!! and I've taken a lot of game with it.

Last edited by killitgrillit; 02/17/10.

You can call me what ever you want to, just don't call me late for dinner.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by killitgrillit
I think it's pretty simple, stick with book loads or other proven loads and you will be fine. Follow strict loading procedures and have fun. I have shot several thousands rounds out of mine and still have all my fingers!!!! and I've taken a lot of game with it.

thats what they said about the Low # O3A3 to .
in the long run still dint stop the barrel falures . personaly i never had one . and i killed alot of deer with that rifle

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old TB has a bone to pick and will pick it anytime he can,,,,, anything he says or promotes,,,I ignore as just that, him picking a bone.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.