Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Now this question is really for the guys that have already established thier outfit for a backcountry hunting trip for lets say 3-5 miles from the nearest trail system or rd. Food, cooking sys., tent/shelter, water storage, weapon& binocs ect., meat packing stuff please include wieghts and total pack wt.
Ive been doing this for about 6 yrs now and have conceeded that from 1 year to the next something may get tossed and something else may take its place. I would also like to draw on the experience of the many hunters that have been doing this type of hunting for years and could probably do it in their sleep.
I will detail out my gear list later and maybe add pics of what gear I feel I will never change and things I think others should also use. I hope this discussion will be a benefit and encouragement to the inexperienced hunters struggling with packing FREIGHT instead of having fun and enjoying the sport

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What season (early or late) and what temperature range? Is a lot of snow likely?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This gear is what I use, not necessarily the best, just what I use. I don't carry all this gear all the time. Depends on how many are coming and anticipated weather.

Rifle: T/C Icon Weathershield 30-06, Leupold VX-III 3.5x 10x 40 Scope, Federal Premium HE 180 gr Nosler Partns

Binoculars: Leupold 10 x 42
Field Dressing Gear: 8" Buck Knife, Gerber Clam Saw, Buck Folding Knife, T.A.G. game bags.
Range Finder: Nikon �Monark� 800
GPS: Garmin etrex Summit
Compass: Silva
Maps: USGS, BLM & USFS maps

Backpack: Osprey �Exposure 66� (no longer in production � take a look at Osprey �Atmos 65�)

Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering �Antelope� 5� goose down
Sleeping Pad: REI �Lite Core 1.5�

Pots: Brand "X" aluminum Bowl, MSR Sierra Cup (large) & Titanium Mug (1 quart Nalgene bottle fits inside)
Canteen: Nalgene 1 liter
Water Bag: Platapus, 2 liter, roll-up
Water Filter: Katadyn "Hiker Pro" (also look at Katadyn "Base Camp" gravity filter)
Pocket Knife: Victorinox Swiss Army Knife - "Climber"

Flashlight: Mini Maglite (converted to LED)
Headlamp: Black Diamond LED

COLD WEATHER - SNOW
Tent: Moss "Stardome" (2-man, 4 season)
Stove: MSR �Dragonfly� white gas

WARM WEATHER
Tent: REI "Quarter Dome T2" (2-man, 3 season)
Tarp: GoLite 8' x 10' Siltarp
Stove: MSR �Pocket Rocket� Isobutane
Game Saver citric acid spray
T.T.C. (Taxidermy Trophy Compound).

Camera: Olympus "Stylus 720 SW"

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Smokepole Guess I forgot not everyone lives in western washington so lets say expect temps between 30-65 degrees, frosty mornings, sun, rain and fogged in conditions you see I have to be prepared for anything except for heavy snow at least for now where I hunt.

KC On a typical no snow trip what is your pack wieght with 2liters of water ready to go down trail?

Last edited by highhunter; 02/15/10.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by highhunter
KC On a typical no snow trip what is your pack wieght with 2liters of water ready to go down trail?

highhunter:

I'll add things up for both of us.

On a typical summer backpack trip with enough food for three days/two nights, 1 liter of water, worst case scenario extra clothing, Isobutane stove/fuel, 3-season tent, and no hunting gear, my pack weighs 22#. I've weighed that several times and it's pretty consistent.

Another liter of water will add 2#.

Let's say that field dressing gear, binoculars and ammo weigh 4#.

So for a no-snow backpack hunt with 2 liters of water, my pack will weigh about 28#.

If I switch to the 4-season tent and white gas stove/fuel, that will add about 3 1/2#.

My rifle weighs 10#. But I don't carry that in my pack.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
We probably are not too far apart then with my Encore pistol, 2liter of water and light duty modified Coleman cobra tent Im at 35-40#. KC I would consider you gun part of your outfit weight. Only thing I dont count is the clothes on my back and the boots on my feet.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

We probably are not too far apart then with my Encore pistol, 2liter of water and light duty modified Coleman cobra tent Im at 35-40#. KC I would consider you gun part of your outfit weight. Only thing I dont count is the clothes on my back and the boots on my feet.

highhunter:

You've raised an interesting point. The firearm is definitely part of the "outfit weight" because wether we carry it in our pack or on our shoulder (like I do) we still have to carry it. So my hunting "outfit weight" is about 36# (with 1 liter of water) and pretty close to yours.

My summer pack (non-hunting) weighs a consistent 22# and there are guys on this forum that claim that their packs weigh less. But I don't know what I would throw out or what I could switch for something lighter. I guess that they maybe are tougher than I am and can do with less. But a previous poster made the very good point that we need to be well rested to be a good hunter. I could do with less, but I would be miserable and tired and therefore not as effective as a hunter.

KC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KC

On a typical summer backpack trip with enough food for three days/two nights, 1 liter of water, worst case scenario extra clothing, Isobutane stove/fuel, 3-season tent, and no hunting gear, my pack weighs 22#. I've weighed that several times and it's pretty consistent.

KC,

What's you typical food weight for 3 days? Food is always my biggest ticket item no matter the season, but I like to eat pretty good.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browtine:

Here's a list of what I carry for one day (24 hours = 3 meals).
1 each Mountain House Pro Pack freeze-dried Entre
4 packs Instant Cocoa
3 packs Quaker Instant Oatmeal (fruit & cream)
2 each Granola Bars
2 packs Sandwich Crackers (cheese & peanut butter)
1 each Salted Nut Roll

I put all this in a Zip Lok storage bag, one bag per day.
I just weighed one filled Zip Lok bag = 1# 4oz.

It takes 2 Zip Lok bags for 3 days & 2 nights plus a few extra candy/granola bars for the third lunch. I usually throw in a Cup-O-Noodles as a reserve. So food weighs about 3#.

I figure I will eat breakfast at home on the first day and arrive at the trailhead before noon. I expect to return to the trailhead after noon on the 3rd day and grab a burger on the way home.

I drain or drink any remaining water in my canteen when I have only about an hour to go. So when I get back to the trailhead, my pack weighs 17#.

KC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks KC.

I need to start pre-planning each days food in individual bags as well. I always seem to have food left over (mainly snack and lunch items) at the end of each trip.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry extra ramen Instead of extra snacks. If you need more calories, ild much rather wolf down a double serving of warm noodles and broth than carrying candy bars or power bars that are rock hard. WeIght to calorie ratio is fantastic.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If i'm serious about going light and being able to move around easily, I use some of Okanagan's tricks and gear.
I don't take a tent. Usually I use a bivy sack instead. Sometimes I don't even take a sleeping bag, but, if I do it's a very light 1 lb., 9 oz. Western Mountaineering bag.
How do I stay warm at night ? I use a set of four tear open chemical hand warmers. Dress in your extra cloting, and place them about the body.
I also use a very thin 5/16th's inch ensolite pad to sleep on. Yes, you need to prepare a very smooth place to sleep on as this thing offer no protection from even the smallest pebbles, etc.
I don't use the freeze dried meals anymore. That's because they provide little in the form of complex carbs. Or much in the way of calories. Oatmeal, couscous, and even instant rice do very well. Mix with a little meat and you are good to go.
I don't use candy bars, or candy anymore for trail snacks either. I much prefer a combination of Power Bars and Cliff Bars. Or even Cliff Bars alone. They have a surprisingly high number of calories including the all important complex carbs. E

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Last falls week long packlist with a partner. He carried the 4 man Kifaru tipi and I carried the Medium stove.

-Siwash/2 long pockets/GPS pouch/Possibles/Med & Small PODs/Handwarmer pouch.

-0 MOB/sleeves.

-Downmat Dlx 9, Zrest shorty, Thermarest sitpad(discontinued)..

-Microtex pants and Microtex Lite shirt. Smartwool top and bottom, Rocky Merino socks.

-Stainless cookset, Nalgene.

-H20 straw/MSR 6 Liter Drombag/Powerbar drink mixes.

-Spare contact lenses/solution/chapstick/toiletries etc etc etc.

-Wiggy's booties/spare socks.

-Garimn Rhino/maps/compass.

-2 Meat baggies/1 Quaterbag/1 contractors trash bag.

-Gerber slider/20" Wetterlings axe/ Mora knife.

-Zebra headlamp/Fenix P1D Q5.

-Fleece Beanie/Ragg wool gloves/bandana.

-Firestarter/lighters/spare batteries/flint/4 carabiners/various legnths of parachord/Kifaru chordage/25' of 1/8" rope/25' of thin reflective tarp guyout line.

-4 rounds of ammo for the gun, 10 in pack for spare.

-7 days of dehydrated meals from hawkvittles.com, Cliff bars.

-Field cleaning kit for the gun. (weedeater line, patches, papertowels.)

I'm not sure what the pack weighed going in but I'd guess around 50 lbs.

For a solo trip I'd need to add the tipi and maybe a water filter to my loadout. Depending on the duration and predicted weather, I could swap the 4 man/Med stove combo for my Supertarp/Annex/Small stove. I like a little more room than the ST provides for longer trips, and would take the 4 man. IF lot's of rain is predicted, the larger tipi is also nice for lounging/drying out gear.

I went overboard on the chordage and could leave the 20" axe behind in favor of my Gransfors mini to save some more weight.

I've got a Ti cookset that would trim off some more oz's. This trip wasn't a real long pack-in so I brought the bigger SS kit.

I had about 20-22 oz. of food per day and did fine.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
KC I think you have a pretty fair food list and I believe any new backpack hunters should take note. I feel food and cooking systems can slaughter any attempt at light wt. backPacking, hunting or otherwise. A good (70's yr old)friend of mine only takes cold food ie, nuts, instant tea mix, jerky and vitamins as he knows the true meaning of WORK after the shot and hasn't room for cooking stuff However I like eating a warm meal atleast once a day so my list like KC may look like this.
p
1 freeze dried meal, Ramen or cambells dried soup
6oz mixed nuts&fruit
2 trail bars
4-6oz. homemade jerkey or landjeager
1 pkg cider mix and or celestial seas tea bags will rehydrate well in cold water
freezer ziplock bag w/Kashi or fav. cereal + 2-3 tbsp Creamora non dairy crmr REALLY GOOD (just add water), swish and eat out of bag NO COOKING in AM
My cook sys. is a titanium 4cp pot, bendable spoon,alum pot stand, 1c plastic cup, bic lighter, foil wind screen & pepsi can stove w/ sm bottle of denat. alcohol (4 days worth) 2tbl sp per 3cp boil wieghs 11 0z. 3oz of that is fuel and can be used for fire starter in emergency.
If I dont take a stove I just add more jerkey or chicken of the sea- (chicken or tuna salad w/cracker pkgs) or sm. summer sausage & crackers with laughing cow cheese wedges. all in all 1.5# per day is plenty and if you get your critter early just eat a bunch of food/carbs before you start packing meat to get rid of bulk in your pack.
WATER storage/canteen is a 1.5 liter platapus bag. if going on extended trip or few water sources I take an extra 1.5 liter platapus bag When empty these bags wiegh nothing and take no room in your pack versus camelbac type systems VERY HEAVY.

[Linked Image]
cooking set up 11oz with fuel I could probably stand a smaller pot. 1pr of poly pro socks go's in cup to stop rattles.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by highhunter; 02/18/10. Reason: add pics
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Conrad101st:

Ramen Noodles = Cup-O-Noodles. The only difference is that Cup-O-Noodles comes in a styrafoam cup. Some times at the end of a long day, I can get really dehydrated and the hot broth in the Ramen Noodles or Cup-O-Noodles really hits the spot. Some times I don't even eat the noodles, just the drink the broth.

KC

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

highhunter:

That dehydrated apple cider goes right through me. I think maybe so fast that I end up even more dehydrated after draining my bladder. Once I warned a friend about the dehydrated apple cider and he ignored me. Twenty minutes later in the car, he was really desperate. I was driving and I tortured him until I thought it was getting serious, before I stopped the car for him to drain. I had a good laugh at his expense, but there was no damage done.

I'm not a very good cook, so I have to stick to prefab things that you only have to add water to. I might starve if I took just the ingredients like you do. You must be a better cook than I am.

I also like the idea of no-cook food. I have hiked the Grand Canyon several times and once I did without a stove, fuel and pots, taking only no-cook open-the-package-and-eat stuff. I think my pack started out a little heavier but on the second day it was about the same and by the third day, on the way up and out, it was lighter.

KC

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
KC is that why apple has 2 P's in it? Your lucky you didn't have to put a towel on the seat for him. I'll bet he was eyeing the floor boards of your rig for relief. Thats too funny.
I would like to hear what sleeping bags every body is useing I'm cheap so I haven't bought a down bag yet My present bag is a wiggy 0 degree and I love it when hiking/rafting the high lakes because it will still keep me warm if its SOAKING WET but at 3#6ozs a Down bag would be a big improvement at about 1 lb 10 oz to 2 lbs
with hip problems I use 2 pads a thermarest deluxe & a roll up foam egg shell type

Last edited by highhunter; 02/18/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would like to hear what sleeping bags every body is useing

I'm either running a WM Antelope (a 5deg bag, but mine has a 2oz overfill so probably closer to a 0) or a Marmot Arroyo 30deg in warmer weather.

The Antelope comes in at 52ozs and the Arroyo at 29. Both weights include a lightweight compression sack. I like them both, a lot!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mountain hardwear universe SL 0*. It's pretty good with conduit water resistant outer layer.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
J
J
I use a marmot helium long. It comes in at 2 lbs and has plenty of room for a 6'4" 215lb guy. The bag has held it's own down in the low teens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,383
Posts18,488,595
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.