M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
4" 629
4" Redhawk

Hard to go wrong either way!!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hot loads or light weight guns do no good if you don't hit the intended target, whats the #1 factor you fight when shooting a big handgun.....recoil. A couple of good hits with even a 357 magnum & good bullets is much better than a 335 gr slug in the mud! And you'll only get one shot with the monster loads.
Someone said you need to hit the CNC & thats correct, if its a charging bear you only have the head to shoot at & that bear most likely won't be in the wide open spaces, he'll be plowing down brush like a bull dozer & you just might be a little bit excited.
A 44 or 45 with hard bullets at a velocity you can HANDLE is way more important than gun weight or horsepower!

Dick

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Hot loads or light weight guns do no good if you don't hit the intended target, whats the #1 factor you fight when shooting a big handgun.....recoil. A couple of good hits with even a 357 magnum & good bullets is much better than a 335 gr slug in the mud! And you'll only get one shot with the monster loads.
Someone said you need to hit the CNC & thats correct, if its a charging bear you only have the head to shoot at & that bear most likely won't be in the wide open spaces, he'll be plowing down brush like a bull dozer & you just might be a little bit excited.
A 44 or 45 with hard bullets at a velocity you can HANDLE is way more important than gun weight or horsepower!

Dick

Heavy loaded big bore handguns aren't that difficult to shoot. It's just a matter of practice and conditioning yourself to them.

FNG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
629 felt good in my hands, Red Hawk grip was too big in the grip for comfort even with Hogue grips. Local dealer swears the Alaskan will be somewhere in between (he has one). Gonna check it out tomorrow. Might go 454, so I can shoot 45lc most of the time and carry cannon fodder in the bush. I must reiterate, I haven't even held the gun yet so all ideas are subject to change. I knew I'd like the 629 'cause the old man has one. I've run a bunch of rounds through it and it was easy to shoot. I've got lots of time to think before I have the cash to drop, so a fella can dream...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Bristoe, you're probably right, I need to get in more practice before I say something like that....just inexperience!

Dick

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 629 is a danged good choice. So is its caliber. Be advised that the 454 won't be extremely easy to find. Either of your former choices will be easier to obtain.

FNG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
not worried about factory ammo

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you must have a double action 44 mag is the choice

If single will do flip a coin. I hate to have to live on the difference.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
454 all the way. last year i sent over 1k down the tube of my m83. you get used to the recoil. very few thing will get the attention of a bear like a 300 gr xtp mag at 1750 fps. i shot a nice whitetail this year with this set up. with the shooting gods smiling it will keep 5 in 2" at 100 yds. this is scoped off of a bench. when i pull the scope for hunting it opens up to 4". i have many big bore revolvers and byfar the 454 is the most versitle.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Bristoe, you're probably right, I need to get in more practice before I say something like that....just inexperience!

Dick

I have no idea what your experience is,...but I don't think too many people would recommend a .357 for defense against a Griz.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by FNG
629 felt good in my hands, Red Hawk grip was too big in the grip for comfort even with Hogue grips. Local dealer swears the Alaskan will be somewhere in between (he has one). Gonna check it out tomorrow. Might go 454, so I can shoot 45lc most of the time and carry cannon fodder in the bush. I must reiterate, I haven't even held the gun yet so all ideas are subject to change. I knew I'd like the 629 'cause the old man has one. I've run a bunch of rounds through it and it was easy to shoot. I've got lots of time to think before I have the cash to drop, so a fella can dream...
The Alaskan is a 3" cut down Super Redhawk, if memory serves. You won't gain much with a 454 in a 3" gun over a heavy loaded 45 Colt except they are harder to shoot and hit with. A 5.5" Redhawk in 45 Colt or 44 mag would be a better choice in my opinion. I'd do Ruger (not a new style Vacaro) or Colt Anaconda over Smith if you will be loading hot. And then I would do 45 Colt over 44 Mag, for the larger bore size.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
FNG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Nice buck 14cm! I judst got back from the shop, and I think I'm in love. The Ruger Alaskan felt good and I love the versatility of being able to plink with long colt. Now to figure out what I can sell off to buy it....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kool, word to the wise. when you start loading for the 454 watch your brass. Also never never never light load h110 or 296 and last but not least. use small rifle mag primers in the 454.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I didn't say I recommended a 357 for bears, I said hitting with a 357 makes a lot more sense than missing with a big bore. The big guns give a false sense of security if you can't handle them, if you can, then you're ahead of the game.
Phil Shoemaker, one of the most respected bear guides in Alaska used a 357 magnum for several years using Norma full metal jacketed slugs & yes they will penetrate the skull of large bears, he has since turned that gun over to his daughter Tia & he's went with a 44 magnum & hard cast slugs.
If there's anything more important than hitting your intended target I guess I've been doing it wrong for many years.
14cm, that is one beautiful whitetail, congratulations! The 454 is an outstanding revolver, accurate, flat shooting & plenty of power, whats not to like!!

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 02/18/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
thank you sir, 300 yds from my back door. just the way we like em. I do have to agree with idaho1945, i see way too many people who shoot handguns poorly in the best conditions because of two reasons.
1 they are over gunned and are scared of the recoil
2 they put 20-30 down the tube a year and call it good. these hand cannons need to be shot and shot alot.

most people have no clue how accurate a revolver can be. my super blackhawk hunter in 45lc will keep 5 in 3" at 100.

I have no idea how to prepare for a bear backup scenario. maybe have your wife throw bowling balls at you as you try to hit them. this could kill 2 birds with one stone. lol

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I didn't say I recommended a 357 for bears, I said hitting with a 357 makes a lot more sense than missing with a big bore. The big guns give a false sense of security if you can't handle them, if you can, then you're ahead of the game.
Phil Shoemaker, one of the most respected bear guides in Alaska used a 357 magnum for several years using Norma full metal jacketed slugs & yes they will penetrate the skull of large bears, he has since turned that gun over to his daughter Tia & he's went with a 44 magnum & hard cast slugs.
If there's anything more important than hitting your intended target I guess I've been doing it wrong for many years.
14cm, that is one beautiful whitetail, congratulations! The 454 is an outstanding revolver, accurate, flat shooting & plenty of power, whats not to like!!

Dick

Yeah, well,...the guy is asking about big bore handguns for Griz defense.

I see no reason to be patronizing about it by suggesting that he can't handle one that's loaded heavy.

As I said before,..they're not all that difficult to shoot. It's just a matter of practice.

John Linebaugh isn't a particularly large man and he seems to handle recoil okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DZdfdAuxCA&feature=player_embedded

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Certainly not suggesting that he can't handle one, I said if you can you are ahead of the game, that goes for anyone. Sounds like you can, thats great! Being accurate with a bigger gun can save your life in a bear encounter & like I said, missing with one doesn't help the odds.
Bears are extremely fast & in a charge situation, something like 40 yds or less you have maybe 3 seconds to get in the fight, a big bore, with one shot that hits would have to be a wonderful feeling, but you most likely will only get one, make the most of it by using a gun & load that you can hit with.
Pretty much what I've said 3 times now.

Dick

FNG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
From Shooting Times article:

"To render this in more familiar terms, let�s take the average energy figures for the .454 Casull ammunition through the 2 1/2-inch gun and compare them to the .44 Magnum, which is the most commonly used other cartridge for dangerous-game protection or backup in the field. The most powerful SAAMI-spec commercial 240-grain .44 Magnum load fired in a 7 1/2-inch industry reference barrel generates 971 ft-lbs of energy (all heavier bullet .44 Magnum loads produce less energy than that). That gives the short .454 Casull Alaskan a 40-percent energy advantage over a long-barreled .44 Magnum."

Hmmmmm...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I would not put much stock in "energy figures" if I were you

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.