Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't this seem like an outstanding platform for the backpack hunter?

Link to site with pictures and information: https://www.kifaru.net/duplex_platformhaulers.html

Thread from Kifaru Forums with more pictures and discussion: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=18012

From a backpack hunting standpoint, my mind goes wild thinking of all the options and combinations that can be created! You can customize your pack to your load and possible load (taking an animal). No need to own a 6500cc pack for extended trips, 3500cc for weekend scouting, and 1000cc pack for day hikes. Purchase the frame, and customize with the 'dock and lock' pods and packs.

Tent and sleeping system in one pod. Eating and cooking in another. Survival stuff, misc. items in a pouch. Your go-to hunting equipemnt with a spot of its own. Organized, ready to move with the snap of a few buckles.

Anyone have a G2 frame with pods or doing something similar with a different pack?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, The Kifaru Long hunter and hauler is a "Do it all" system. I use my frame with long pocket and top lid for day hunts and different bags, pouches and pods for up to week long trips.

Last edited by Big_W; 02/22/10.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I was browsing around the Kifaru site and noticed that they some G1 Siwash packs on clearance for $310. Still too steep for me, but sounds like a good deal if you are looking for one.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Plenty of views, not much input. I'll take that as most people use a real pack, and organize inside the pack, as opposed to seperate pods attached to a frame.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It looks handy in the photos and in a military setting it might be perfect but I don't think the overall capacity would be up to the level of the dedicated pack on the hauler. It's easier to cram stuff in my MMR than to load a bunch of pods. I still Dock and Lock a pod or pouch on to the pals webbing on the MMR bag.

just my 2 cents.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a G2 MMR with numerous pods and pouches. About 90% of the time, I just use the MMR bag. The pods seem like a neat concept, but in practice, they are a pain to work out of. The bag is much quicker to put stuff into and remove stuff from.

Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is also a significant weight penalty to all of those pockets and pods compared to a simple packbag.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
There is also a significant weight penalty to all of those pockets and pods compared to a simple packbag

This was something I was concerned with as well. I put pen to paper, and compared the weight/cost of the following packs:

Mystery Ranch Longbow:
Weight: 6lbs 8oz
Capacity: 2400cu-in
Cost: $464 (cost includes NICE frame)

Kifaru 'Dock n Lock' Pods System:
Pods used: E&E abd Medium Pod
Weight: 6lbs 4oz
Capacity: 2340cu-in
Cost: $403 (MMR Frame($269), E&E($100), Med Pod($34)

Cost per cubic inch:
Mystery Ranch Longbow: $4.46
Kifaru Pod System(in this config): $4.03

There are multiple ways you can configure the Kifaru pod and frame dock system. I chose to use the E&E and Medium Pod for 2 reasons. First - it was a very close match to the Longbow in terms of cubic inches. Longbow: 2400, Kifaru: 2350. Worked nicely for this comparison. Second, there is an exact picture of this Kifaru combo on both links from my original post. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

On paper, the Kifaru frame/dock/pod system edges out the Longbow in terms of cubic-inches per pound and per dollar. Four ounces lighter, few dollars cheaper. In the real world, depending on your backpacking style and preference - its a push. I can't imagine going wrong with either choice. I can see how the pods wouldn't be lightning fast should you need to open them and produce an item quickly. But if you are carrying camp materials in these pods - bag, pad, tent - those don't usually need to be in hand on the fly. To compensate for needing quick access - I used the Kifaru E&E in this combo. 1000cu-in with fast zipper access right on your back.

What if we wanted to go bigger? Longer trip. More space needed.

Myster Ranch NICE 6500:
Weight: 9lbs 8oz
Capacity: 6500cu-in
Cost: $650 (includes NICE frame)

Pods Used: 2 large pods, 1 medium pod
Capacity: 6534 cubic inches
Cost: $383 (MMR Frame $269, Large Pod(2) $80, Med Pod ($34)

Even though the weight is significantly less, I feel like this is where the single packbag shines. In order to meet the carrying capacity of the NICE 6500, I had to pair 2 large pods and 1 medium pod - no easy zipper access pods used like the E&E that I chose when comparing with the Longbow. Weight is less, cost is less - but being forced to pack everything inside pods - not ideal. Could it be done? WIthout a doubt. Pack in, dop the large pods at camp, make camp, keep the medium on the frame for hunting during the day.

Cliff notes for the inpatient ones:
Kifaru Dock-n-Lock and Pod System shines when capacity needed equals that of 3-4 day hunts. Beyond that - expedition level packing seems better left to organization inside a single pack. Just my opinion, feed back is welcome.

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 02/24/10.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Interesting way to look at things, thanks for the write-up. Would the MR Crew Cab possibly offer a closer design comparison to the Kifaru system?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
OutdoorAg:

Unless you want the shoulder straps, you might consider the Kifaru Back Pouch instead of the E&E. The E&E came after the Back Pouch - it's basically a Back Pouch with shoulder straps, a sleeve for storing them, and more PALS webbing. It's considerably lighter and less expensive.

Scott

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the write up. It was very informative. Kifaru makes some really neat stuff. The only thing is comparing the pods to a full pack is its like apples and oranges. There is no way you can get the same usable ci's into the pods as with a full bag. There will always be a little space not used up in the pods unless your gear fits absolutely perfect into the pods you choose. Large or goofy shaped stuff is going to leave dead space. In a traditional top loading pack gravity and cramming stuff into the voids helps get rid of the dead space. With the pods there is also no room for spill out. Like when it comes time to pack out the meat and gear. For example the Nice 6500 has a good foot of fabric that can extend out of the top of the bag adding a lot more ci's that are not part of the bags total. Additionally the ci's in your post on the 6500 are only the bag. For the weight listed you get a additional 900ci from the daypack lid.

I know Kifaru and Mystery Ranch get compared a lot but this is a really unique pack by Kifaru. Its way more specialized then most stuff out there. I'm sure for some its the perfect thing for the way they hunt. A neat design for sure.

On a side note have you had a chance to check this thing out? My first concern with it was the all the extra buckles. It seems from the pictures that if you had a buckle or two fail you would have to find a alternative for attachment of the pods? How do the tab loops work? And is there any other compression then that's on the pods?

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The nice thing with the Kifaru G2's is that my Long Hunter Rendezvous can be used with the bag - all 8500 ci worth, as a hauler with the cargo chair and a Sea-to-Summit dry bag for boned meat or as a hauler with pods.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats sure is the nice thing about MR and Kifaru is the versatility. You can do the same thing with the nice frame minus the pods. I kinda wonder if the kifaru pods would work with the buckles on the nice frame??

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
There is also a significant weight penalty to all of those pockets and pods compared to a simple packbag

This was something I was concerned with as well. I put pen to paper, and compared the weight/cost of the following packs:

Mystery Ranch Longbow:
Weight: 6lbs 8oz
Capacity: 2400cu-in
Cost: $464 (cost includes NICE frame)

Pods used: E&E abd Medium Pod
Capacity: 2340cu-in
Cost: $403 (MMR Frame($269), E&E($100), Med Pod($34)

Cost per cubic inch:
Mystery Ranch Longbow: $4.46
Kifaru Pod System(in this config): $4.03

There are multiple ways you can configure the Kifaru pod and frame dock system. I chose to use the E&E and Medium Pod for 2 reasons. First - it was a very close match to the Longbow in terms of cubic inches. Longbow: 2400, Kifaru: 2350. Worked nicely for this comparison. Second, there is an exact picture of this Kifaru combo on both links from my original post. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

On paper, the Kifaru frame/dock/pod system edges out the Longbow in terms of cubic-inches per pound and per dollar. Four ounces lighter, few dollars cheaper. In the real world, depending on your backpacking style and preference - its a push. I can't imagine going wrong with either choice. I can see how the pods wouldn't be lightning fast should you need to open them and produce an item quickly. But if you are carrying camp materials in these pods - bag, pad, tent - those don't usually need to be in hand on the fly. To compensate for needing quick access - I used the Kifaru E&E in this combo. 1000cu-in with fast zipper access right on your back.

What if we wanted to go bigger? Longer trip. More space needed.

Myster Ranch NICE 6500:
Weight: 9lbs 8oz
Capacity: 6500cu-in
Cost: $650 (includes NICE frame)

Pods Used: 2 large pods, 1 medium pod
Capacity: 6534 cubic inches
Cost: $383 (MMR Frame $269, Large Pod(2) $80, Med Pod ($34)

Even though the weight is significantly less, I feel like this is where the single packbag shines. In order to meet the carrying capacity of the NICE 6500, I had to pair 2 large pods and 1 medium pod - no easy zipper access pods used like the E&E that I chose when comparing with the Longbow. Weight is less, cost is less - but being forced to pack everything inside pods - not ideal. Could it be done? WIthout a doubt. Pack in, dop the large pods at camp, make camp, keep the medium on the frame for hunting during the day.

Cliff notes for the inpatient ones:
Kifaru Dock-n-Lock and Pod System shines when capacity needed equals that of 3-4 day hunts. Beyond that - expedition level packing seems better left to organization inside a single pack. Just my opinion, feed back is welcome.

Thats not a fair comparison at all. Mystery Ranch uses a more conservative method of determining and listing their pack's capacities/volume. One cannot go by the listed specs, with MR one will be pleasantly surprised, Kifaru on the other hand...........

MtnHtr

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I went with the numbers posted on each companys website. I've not owned a pack from either company. Just posting information for others to see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The reason people have a problem with the cubic inches of the long hunter is how it closes at the top. You cannot stuff it completely full cause you still have to pull the draw string at the top. Thus you lose some ci's.

Thats not a fair comparison at all. Mystery Ranch uses a more conservative method of determining and listing their pack's capacities/volume. One cannot go by the listed specs, with MR one will be pleasantly surprised, Kifaru on the other hand...........

Not a fair comparison at all? Now i don't think you can say that. Kifaru may be a little tight on ci's (that i doubt) but that dosent mean it's not a fair comparison. You act like it's a huge gap.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 49 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,065
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.