Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have developed an itch that has got to be scratched eventually. I have several bolt and leverguns (M94, M88, M1895), and one semi-auto (M-1 Garand), but have never owned a pump action rifle. I love my pump action shotguns and have finally gotten around to considering a pump action rifle. I have found a very early M760 in .270 WIN (99% and all original) for $500.00 and a ten year old (+/-) scoped .30-06 SPRG in similar condition for $400.00. I am considering one or the other. Tell me about them.....Thanks!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 760's are older. I think the 7600 came about in the 80's? The 7600's are supposed to be better because the barrels are not attached to the magazine tubes if I remember correctly.

It's funny, I seem to be going backward to conventional wisdom too. I just bought a 1965 M94 in .30-30 and am planning on using it for the woods hunting that I do.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have one in 308[carbine]have a rubber band around fore end to keep the Rattle down,love the gun.Go with the 30-06 instead of the 270 less pressure.

Lakeland,Fl.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Odessa, you might find this thread Tell me about the Remington 7600 to be a good read. Uh, it might take a few moments to get through it though whistle.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
$500 seems a bit high. Get with High Brass and shoot his. I bought it the same year he was born and both have been great since 1977! smile

The 760 and 7600 rifles both have free floated barrels. The older 760's have a piece on the front end of the action tube that touches the barrel but is not attached to the barrel. The older 760's have considerable drop in the stock and aren't as scope friendly as later 760's like High Brass has. The 760's are built a bit better than the the later 7600's. The real difference between the 760 and the 7600 is the 760 has 13 or so locking lugs like a Weatherby and the 7600 has 4 larger ones. Scope bases don't interchange between the 760 and 7600.

The 760/7600 rifles are typically accurate out of the box. They do usually have a mushy trigger but you get used to it of you can have a trigger job done. All I have done is put a lighter trigger spring in my 7600. They are great hunting rifles and it seems nothing mounts and swings like a Remington pump. Mount a scope with a thick reticle or a peep sight for the thick stuff down your way and you will love it. The '06 would make a great hog killer.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Remington 760 is the rifle of choice by the Benoit's (of Vermont trophy white tail hunting fame).
Benoit's book "How to bag the biggest Buck..." scroll down to "equipment"

The only thing I don't like about them (and I do like them), is that you can't clean the barrel from the breach end (with a straight rod). Make sure you use a muzzle guard when cleaning from the muzzle end, to minimize wear(retain crown and accuracy).

This probably applies more for its semi auto cousin, the 742 Woodsmaster, but for cleaning, it may be a good idea to use a flexible cable-type cleaner and a bronze brush big enough to fit the chamber (from the breach end). The 742's tend to jam easily, due to a dirty chamber. Ths makes them a "semi auto single shot." The cure is to use a chamber brush (or ~ 28-20 gauge bore brush), attached to a short, plastic coated, flexible cable style style "cleaning rod", and attach to a variable speed drill. Dip the chamber brush in bore solvent, and give the chamber a good cleaning with the drill powered cable cleaning system. The 760 pump action has more extraction power/control than the 742, but none the less, it's a good way to keep the whole barrel clean and trouble free.

To me, the Remington 760 belongs in a select class of rifles. It's one of a handful of rifles (along with a Savage 99) that bestows upon the owner, a level of "hunter respect" in my book.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/GA_remmodel760_200903/index.html
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Remington_760.htm

Here's a "F grade" (factory engraving and gold) for you:
http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---hamburg---fine-rifle---1436932-rgmf-ham.shtml

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 7600 308 carbine Grice special. I had been wanting a 760/7600 for a long time and when I saw the one I bought I just had to have it. So far I have'nt been able to find a handload that shoots as well as remington 180 core lokt round noses or 180 gr. federal fusions. Just pokes bugholes all day long. As far as any cleaning issues I just use a 30 cal. bore snake. I like how it comes up and also how it carries.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don't have one but my hunting bud does. It's a 30+ year old 760 in 270 Win. With plain 130 gr. Federal Power-Shok 3 shot quarter size groups.

J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I picked up a 760 in .300 Savage and had the barrel cut to 18" and put a 1X4 Leupold Heavy Crosshair on it. Have not shot it yet but I have lots of ammo( 150 gr. corelock handloads ) ready to go from the Model 99's that I have. I have shot several deer with the .300 in the 99's and I find it just about right for whitetails. It has good power, medium to light recoil and is flat enough for the woods hunting that I do. I really like the .300 Savage.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The most desirable models to me are the later 760's. They dont have the forearm hanger, but still have the old school Remington quality. I have shot quite a few of these rifles, and have yet to find one that wont do 1 1/2" off a bench. The critical thing with them is to keep th chambers dry, and make sure the magazines fits snug.

As far as a scope is concerned, it would be tough to beat a Leupold 3X or Burris 4X Timberline.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom,

Why must the chamber be kept "dry" on a 760?

A few years ago I found a farm that looked great for deer and pests alike. I was new to it and in the summer I picked a spot for myself on opening day. Problem was that other guys were there too opening day. Sure enough a guy was in 'my spot' before me.

I watched the area anyway and after only a short time he got up and walked off towards me. I asked him what was up? He said that his rifle was jammed! It was a 760/7600!

Years ago, back in the 60's, a buddy had an old 760 and it was accurate.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I think they look good.
[Linked Image]
Shoot good.
[Linked Image]
And kill stuff.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Other than that, they're great to carry in the woods and balance well. Hope that helps a bit.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Savage99

The purpose of the dry chamber is to keep the forearm from coming back, and ejecting the case w/o help from you.

An oily chamber creates excessive rearward thrust on a bolt gun. An oily chamber on a pump makes the forearm come back without any help from you. If the chamber is dry, O-ring in place, etc. you fire the rifle, lugs disengage, forearm moves rearward about 1/2" or so, then you manually pull the forearm back the rest of the way to eject the spent case.

I had one once that was so oily from a "good" cleaning, that when fired off sandbags without holding forearm, would snap back and fling brass into the next zipcode unassisted!

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Found an old (Sept 1952 build) 760 at a local pawn shop. Chambered for the 300 Savage with a 2x7 Redfield Tracker on it. has a small chip on the forearm but other than that was perfect. Paid a whopping 200 bucks for it. I have killed a couple of deer with it. It groups good (1-2 inches) carries nicely and fits very well. Its little wonder people like these guns so well. Only thing Im gonna change is the trigger spring. These guns.. especially this one definitely have a lot of character.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one, a 1952 vintage rifle chambered in 300 Savage. It's fairly accurate but one of my least favorite rifles. I can't get used to the slide action no matter how much I try. It's such an unnatural action to learn. If it wasn't hiding in the back of the safe, it would be gone already.

[Linked Image]

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
I have one, a 1952 vintage rifle chambered in 300 Savage. It's fairly accurate but one of my least favorite rifles. I can't get used to the slide action no matter how much I try. It's such an unnatural action to learn. If it wasn't hiding in the back of the safe, it would be gone already.

[Linked Image]
I'll bet you keep it hid back there too,before you ever got rid of it.That's a nice one.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have two. A 7600 in .243 with a little VX-II leupy 1-4 on it. The other is a 760 in 30-06 with a Zeiss 1.5-6x42. Both shoot into an inch. The '06 is one of the least picky rifles I own. It shoots 130 grain Barnes TTSXs into an inch at anywhere between 50.5 and 53.5 grains of Varget. Set up like that it's about as close to a perfect Minnesota deer rifle as I have ever seen. Very quick in the brush. Fast, flat and accurate in the open easily good for 400 yards. Outstanding low light performance. The .243 is a very close second, but lighter and quicker, I drag it around on the back of the ATV as a pest whacker. It is a fine deer rifle though.

Everyone should own one.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you love your pump shotguns, the odds are you will love a Remington 760/7600 rifle.

I drew the same conclusion in the late 70's, and never looked back.

The 760's comb is just right for a scope mounted in low rings(as a scope should be for a 'brush' gun), at least mine is, which is a 1979 carbine model in 30-06. And my 760 is just as accurate as most of the bolt guns I own.

Living in New Jersey, which is a shotgun only state for deer, and also hunting New York, which is a shotgun or centerfire rifle state I drew the conclusion that if I set up an 870 and a 760 right, it would be like using the same gun, no matter where I was hunting. It's still working for me, LOL. I've always titled this picture 'Eastern Deer Guns'
[Linked Image]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great rifles. When I first started reloading, my mod 760 in 270 win was my only rifle. My little home rolled boolits filled the freezer. Accurate, point good, carry good.

I agree with Miles. Everyone should own at least one.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice piece of wood showing on the 760.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,500 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.