-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive been using nothing but Shimano 500 series reels, perfect for our little creeks here, but I gotta say the pike are tough on them! grin
I stepped up to the 750 size Shimano reels and the 5'6" rods just because its easier to handle and cast over bigger water, but still light enough to have a ball with my little brookies! grin

ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I am using the Shimano Sahara 1000FD reel on my 7 ft ultralight with 4 lbs test, and man can that thing cast.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The 750s we have been using are Saharas too..pike arent so tough on them...A 7" Ultralight? I'll bet that thing casts.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Oh it slings em.....about 30 feet further than my 4' UL.

I love it so far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tom264
Tom, I love fishing with ultralights...most of my fishing is with them.

You get to "fight" a bit more with the fish, and I love that part too.

I've got beaucoup bass tackle and dearly love fishing a jig & pig for kicker size fish, however some of the most fun I've had is w/ an UL setup consisting of a tiny "slider" type whippy rod about 4 1/2' long with an UL spinning reel spooled with 4# line. On that type rig, even a small fish is an adventure.

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
What do you guys think of them?

An employee at my local BassPro told me they are made from the same blanks, same machines as the G Loomis rods....just a different day and labeled as such.

I have no reason not to believe him as I think I remember that Shimano bought G Loomis.

I just bought one the other day, a 7' UL with a Med, Fast action and it feels awesome!.......

Another thing the guy told me is if I break the rod BP will exchange it with a new one no questions asked!

I dont even think a Loomis warranty could compete with that warranty.

Oh yeah...it will be my Crappie/Bluegill rod. cool

That employee has no idea what he's talking about. Shimano, who has owned Loomis since 97, imports their rods from overseas. While they may intergrate rod building tech from Loomis it isn't the same. Loomis is exclusively built in the US in their own plant.
Shimano builds great stuff and has a killer warranty but it's not Loomis. Many bass guys prefer the Shimano stuff over Loomis FWIW.
For salmon steelhead guys it's not even close. The Loomis rules.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Onstep
What do you guys think of them?

An employee at my local BassPro told me they are made from the same blanks, same machines as the G Loomis rods....just a different day and labeled as such.

I have no reason not to believe him as I think I remember that Shimano bought G Loomis.

I just bought one the other day, a 7' UL with a Med, Fast action and it feels awesome!.......

Another thing the guy told me is if I break the rod BP will exchange it with a new one no questions asked!

I dont even think a Loomis warranty could compete with that warranty.

Oh yeah...it will be my Crappie/Bluegill rod. cool

That employee has no idea what he's talking about. Shimano, who has owned Loomis since 97, imports their rods from overseas. While they may intergrate rod building tech from Loomis it isn't the same. Loomis is exclusively built in the US in their own plant.
Shimano builds great stuff and has a killer warranty but it's not Loomis. Many bass guys prefer the Shimano stuff over Loomis FWIW.
For salmon steelhead guys it's not even close. The Loomis rules.
I wonder why Loomis doesn't put "Made in USA" on their rods anymore then? Usually when a maker actually builds the rod here they are anxious to put the label on it. I'm naturally skeptical of anything supposedly made here that doesn't boldly state so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe Loomis rods aren't made in the USA anymore, but I do not know of anyone the has an older Loomis rod that traded up to any other brand.

I fish CastAway, All Star, Shimano, Falcon, and Fenwick. They are all excellent rods. Besides my UL, I have a Loomis in a 7' saltwater 30-40# that is an absolute fish killer. They are almost magic.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've got G Loomis rods that say "Made in Canada" on them, some with no country, and if I was to go out to the boat I suspect that some will claim origin in those there United States.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My best worm thrower is an inexpensive medium fiberglass Pfleuger. The tip is a perfect speed match for soft plastics. I'm sure there are plenty of nicer rods out there that offer similar performance, but as long as you find one that matches your style of fishing life is good. I have a few pretty nice high modulus carbon bait casting rods that match hardbaits well, but I guess I just have soft plastic and fiberglass in my veins.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
[/quote]I wonder why Loomis doesn't put "Made in USA" on their rods anymore then? Usually when a maker actually builds the rod here they are anxious to put the label on it. I'm naturally skeptical of anything supposedly made here that doesn't boldly state so. [/quote]
Same reason St. Croix, Lamiglas, Sage, and Winston can't most of the parts are built overseas. Fuji guides, expoxy, paint, portuegese cork, chinesse thread. Over 50% of the product is sourced outside and built in US. With Loomis the graphite is US made and I believe St. Croix is also.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
IIRC Shimano now owns Loomis;but I could be mistaken on this.

There have been some Shimano rods built on Loomis blanks.

In general I am a fan of Shimano,St. Croix, and Loomis rods...all 3 are present in the boat at some time.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 61 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,124
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.