Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a chance at trading into a browning rifle, but was made by sako. caliber is 22-250
I'm waiting on pics tonight from the guy.
the wood is supposed to be exquisite, pics would speak wonders, and I'll post them when I get em.
does anyone know anything about these rifles?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a Browning Hi-Power rifle.They made them in three grades-Safari,Medallion,Olympian.

Probably the best mass production sporting rifle ever made,period.I have a bunch of them.They are SCARY accurate,out of the box.

Just watch out for salt cured wood,and the occasional crack in the tang,and your golden.For salt wood,just pull the barreled action out of the stock and look for rust.If there is rust,run!!!!!!!

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Many Browning Safari's were made at Fabrique (FN) in Belgium. Later the smaller calibers were made in Sweden. They were marked Sako because that is who made them (Browning really never made anything themselves.) They are great rifles, they don't have the mauser extractors, but who cares, especially in the smaller calibers. If it is less than 1000 bucks, you will make money. They are great rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Many Browning Safari's were made at Fabrique (FN) in Belgium. Later the smaller calibers were made in Sweden. They were marked Sako because that is who made them (Browning really never made anything themselves.) They are great rifles, they don't have the mauser extractors, but who cares, especially in the smaller calibers. If it is less than 1000 bucks, you will make money. They are great rifles.

They were made in Finland,not Sweden.Early Sako action guns were actually made in Belgium-Sako shipped actions there,then FN barreled them and stocked them.Later,it became cheaper to send barreled actions,and they were marked made in Finland.

And lots of the Mauser actioned guns have long extractors (Mauser extractors,CRF,whatever).All 270s and 30/06s do,and every Mauser action caliber made before mid-1967.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
what would the value be if it isn't rusty under the stock, has really nice wood and is in overall 95% or better condition?
where do you suppose this one is made?
is there a way to look up the SN?

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
sorry wcb...Finland not Sweden...guess I was thinking of Tiger....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The small calibers had Sako actions. Whic would be the one you are looking at. The larger ones had FN actions.

It's got salt wood if it has rust under the barrel. This was a problem from 70-74 I believe. Not all had it, but alot of them did.

It should knock 15% or so off the value, but alot of folks pass these to unknowing buyers for full price.

JM

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Probably the best mass production sporting rifle ever made,period.I have a bunch of them.They are SCARY accurate,out of the box.

I wouldn't argue against that.

Those are real Brownings not cheap jap knock off clones that we have today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
what would the value be if it isn't rusty under the stock, has really nice wood and is in overall 95% or better condition?
where do you suppose this one is made?
is there a way to look up the SN?

If it's a Safari Grade,a realisitc price for today's marked would be around $1150.They've been more in the past,but right now,they just don't move like they used to.If it's a light barreled model (22 inches),which is rarer,bump it up to around $1350-ish.Of course,most people want $1500 for their's,but hey never sell either,FWIW.

If it's a Medallion Grade,$4000.

If it's an Olympian,$10,000.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

It's got salt wood if it has rust under the barrel. This was a problem from 70-74 60's I believe.

It should knock off 15% or so off the value, but alot of folks pass these to unknowing buyers for full price.

JM

Salt wood was 1968 until 1975,with the real problem years being 1969 through 1971.

And knock off more like 50% off the price.Ask me how I know......

Brian.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
sorry wcb...Finland not Sweden...guess I was thinking of Tiger....

She does have nice bolt knobs....

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold one that had it and got a grand (30-06 Safari grade).

The gun was in excellent shape besides that.

JM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Must have been awhile ago?

Hard pressed to get $800 for an '06 Safari these days,unless it's NIB,or goregous.

Talking online sales,of course.Local,or gunshow,is different.

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was in 98. The guy was a shooting buddy of mine. Hell, he shot it with me for 2 or 3 years before he offered to buy it. It had very little rust, but it was there.

He approached me about the sale and I called Thad Scott's in Indianola, Ms. and asked what I should get for it, salt wood and all.

I went ahead and sold it to him because I had my dad's in the same caliber and it was a 66' Date of Mfg.

Go look on Cabelas fine guns...They are a pretty whacked out. Asking anywhere from 1299 to 1990 for HighPowers. They have a few old beaters for around 800-900. GunsAmerica isn't much better.

Best,

JM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I have a chance at trading into a browning rifle, but was made by sako. caliber is 22-250
I'm waiting on pics tonight from the guy.
the wood is supposed to be exquisite, pics would speak wonders, and I'll post them when I get em.
does anyone know anything about these rifles?
I have one made in the early 1960s. I bought it NIB in the middle 1990s from a guy who had just inherited it from his father. The bolt hadn't been in the receiver since it left the factory, and metal parts were still covered with the original factory preservative, which had become pretty sticky by then. I paid $900.00 for it. Cleaned it up, bought some factory Remington .243 100 grainers, and headed for the range. It regularly grouped right around .6 MOA. Haven't shot it much (actually, just that one time). Sort of a safe queen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those early 60's .243 cal. have been known to blow off folks heads shooting them.

I can fix it. Send it to me asap.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Those early 60's .243 cal. have been known to blow off folks heads shooting them.

I can fix it. Send it to me asap.
laugh Sure thing.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
It's a Browning Hi-Power rifle.They made them in three grades-Safari,Medallion,Olympian.

Just watch out for salt cured wood,and the occasional crack in the tang,and your golden.For salt wood,just pull the barreled action out of the stock and look for rust.If there is rust,run!!!!!!!

Brian.
You can also test for salt wood by unscrewing one of the butt plate screws and checking for rust on the screw. I don't believe, though, that any of the Sako action Brownings had the salt wood problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hawk,

I think they used that wood on everything, shotguns and rifles. I may be wrong though.

I'll pm you my address for that rifle. I'm glad you weren't killed. You should thank me.

JM

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
so if you were looking at one, what are some questions you would ask the guy who had it?
year it was made?, type of wood?
is there a way to check by serial number?
my plan is to sell it because I have no need for a 22-250, and I could use the money

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,411
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.