Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#38536 07/22/01
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is the best way to deliver a double tap that will be controlled? I tap the trigger once and as soon as I see the front sight I hit the trigger again? I manage to get some close to each other (group) but than I also open them up missing the target some times?

GB1

#38537 07/23/01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A double tap, if shooting in a tactical since, should not be a tight group. You are shooting to put two round on the target, to put the “bad guy” down. If you are shooting tight groups you are shooting too slow. Of course if they are two far apart you are shooting too fast [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] .

#38538 07/23/01
R
R
We were taught at the academy to do a double tap at the center of mass, and move on to the next target. Is this still the norm? You didn't worry about bullseyes, you worried about center of mass. JMTCW

Differences of opinion are what let ugly people get married and cheap whiskey sell, from "poor" Rich in Nebraska
#38539 07/23/01
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Frankly, I don't like the "double tap" idea. In real shootings, there is a tendency to keep shooting beyond the double tap. This has been known to empty one's gun w/o the desired result. What works is putting one in the center of mass, then another in the head. Not easy to do. But it does work much better than trying to rapidly put two in the chest. That type of practice tends to improve accuracy, and slow down the shooter. Another bad idea, is going for speed. Trust me. If the whistle blows, you'll be amazed how fast you are. E

#38540 07/23/01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with you about shooting too fast, as it is easy to do, but the last few tactical pistol courses I went to all stress hammers (double taps) and failure drills (two the body and one to the head). They also stressed "slow is smooth and smooth is fast." I have been lucky in that my old job paid me to go to many different pistol courses, and each instructor had different ideas on the theories of shooting for speed vs. pin point accuracy (in varying circumstances there is a distinct need for each).

IC B2

#38541 07/24/01
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't have a clue if this comment is worth much but here goes...<P>I used to shoot a lot of IPSC shoots and most courses of fire were two shots per target and move on. (yes I am aware that competition shooting, at least todays, is not very practical in "real life" situations) The point being, I got pretty good at putting two on target and moving on while I myself am in motion from point A to point B. The reason I say this is because I believe I would react to a hostile threat (were I to have no alternative but to fight for my life...) with two shots on target and asses the next threat or the existing one. I say this only because of my constant drilling with IPSC; two shot then next target. I don't think I would "keep shooting". <P>My round about point is, I think what ever you drill/practice with the most is what you will do. For me I believe I would do a double tap just out of habit/instinct/training, albiet competition 'training'. (FYI: I used a standard stock no modified off the shelf pistol, and it was amazing how fast and accurate two shots could be fired when familiar with the weapon. It was a Baretta 92FS 9mm.)One shot to body? One shot to body one to head? Two to body? What is right or better? I certainly don't claim to know.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
#38542 07/24/01
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got no problem with two to the body, and one to the head. Or two to the body, then switch targets. And competition is fine. As long as your thinking, and aiming each shot, you should be fine. I was trained under the old PPC course. You know, shoot six from the hip, reload, and do it again. Very common for the whistle to blow, our hero shoots his six-and misses with all six. Now, of course, everybody uses the front sight. Or they should. You haven't lived until you've dumped all six at a BG-some 10-15 feet away- and suddenly realized your empty. You survived because he did the same thing. You then learned to use sights, and carry a backup. Not a 2 inch, but a real, full sized gun. You shoot the first one dry, drop it, and stay in bussiness with your backup. Sound like fun ? E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 222ND, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,628
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.