Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've only shot one elk with a single shot before. Usually I just keep pumping rounds into them until it's real obvious they are about to topple. I have this fear of one getting away after tagging it.

The other thing I've noticed is that a good hit on a settled animal seems to lock them up for the most part in their tracks. I had one with a solid hit trot about 50 yards before I rolled him. Both shots were effective lung shots.

What's the group vibe. Trust a good shot and wait or treat em like combatants and keep shooting till they roll?

Last edited by conrad101st; 03/02/10.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot one Elk with a single shot. Seven hours later and several miles away I got the second, and killing, shot.
Never again!
I shoot until it falls or until my magazine is empty (hasn't gone that far yet)

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Shoot until you see hooves in the air.

But shoot carefully, placement is king

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
conrad---I agree a good 1st shot seems to "lock-up". It's like they are soaking up the shock of the bullet. I'll put another into them----that will usually put'em down. CB

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where I've done most of my hunting is really thick stuff. Because of that when I shoot an elk, it's moving and I'm trying to get it to stop.
The only time I don't pump more lead into them is when it's not in a brushy tangle, there's no one else around, I can see the last shot went where I wanted it to---for sure---and I'm looking through my scope at the animal standing still.
Sometimes around here, an elk going another 100 yards means someone else finishes it off and gets the elk. I've seen elk trot off down a trail with blood spurting two feet out both sides...they can be tough to put down.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I keep shooting at anything I hunt until either is dead or I am out of ammo. I try to make the first shot count keep pumping in lead until the head goes down. I also keep an eye on it for a while with a gun at ready in case it decides it is not dead.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I shoot until they are down or out of site. Seen to many people proclaim an animal dead as it was running off. I don't need it to happen to me to learn my lesson.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I shoot until they stop kicking. I have lost one deer that dropped like a rock at the shot and then 10 or 15 seconds later I seen his head come up and crawled into the brush. Blood was every where for about 50 yards and then nothing. Bullets are cheap..
Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Shoot until you see hooves in the air.

But shoot carefully, placement is king

+1

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's been about half and half for me for rifle. Obviously, with a smokepole, things are different. Still, even the one's that drop in their tracks I try to have another round ready.

Steve

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
If It's still standing ,I keep shooting. When they drop at the shot, I'm still not convinced.
Seen 'em get back up about the time you are congratulating yourself.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I watched my son shoot his first elk this year with 4 Barnes TSX's out of his 300 Win Mag. Three were textbook in the kill zones in about a 3" circle; with the flier just a little ahead in the neck. 200+ yds! (I had to admit to him it was some awesone shooting and that really hurt! LOL!) Harris bi-pods are nice to have as well! I was spotting for him with my binos. Everytime he got up or attempted to get up I would say "shoot him again"!

He shot him out of a herd of about 65 animals (5 really nice bulls in this herd!) on my aunts ranch at Grand Lake Colo. They had all come off the mtn into the meadow and I think the bulls were maybe a bit pumped with adrenalin.... :-)

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I will frequently put a good shot on a deer, and watch it run out of sight, knowing full well I"ll find it shortly.Elk are different..as long as they are on their feet, they are recieving fire from my AO...I had one of those instances mentioned earlier...8 hours and five miles between first and second shot...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hey Ingwe!

Hope all is well in your camp!

This year it will be my turn with the big Mauser on the elk... Looks like the wife and I will heading up there this summer to do a little fishing!

Another try for nilgai in April!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even if I know the first shot is lethal and the elk is still standing I keep shooting......I look at it as free practice!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO...Make the first shot count, and be ready for follow up shots until the hooves are sticking up in the air!!!!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess I'm the odd one here.If I know the shot was good,I give them time to die.I did shoot cow tice last year.Shot her while she was in her bed.She stood up and I could not belive it,so I shot her again ,and she fell back in the bed she got up from. I don't hunt where there are a lot of hunters so I have no fear of someone else tagging it.If I feel I have made a bad shot,I might shoot again,but in heavy timber,the chance for a follow up shot is slim, so I always make sure the 1st one goes where it should.Sometimes when I get up to them I will give them another round behind the ear if they are still alive from maybe a high shot that hit the spine.

Looking back I bet at least 75% of the elk I have shot have dropped either where they stood or went less than 50 yds. Both bulls and cows

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Hey Ingwe!

Hope all is well in your camp!

This year it will be my turn with the big Mauser on the elk... Looks like the wife and I will heading up there this summer to do a little fishing!

Another try for nilgai in April!

Bob

If you are headed for MT to fish, youd better get in touch for some fishing lie swapping, and Bambi on the Barbie+ cold ones! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always shoot until the animal drops.
I do it for everyhting, not just elk. Deer, bear, sheep and hopefully one day moose...

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Get the lead out! Bullets are cheap compared to the hunt. Alot can and will go wrong, beter safe than sorry IMHO!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 22magnut, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,604
Posts18,532,680
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.