-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I bought a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt Saturday, with a 5 1/2" barrel and adjustable sights. As you may know, they make the regular Bisley with a 7 1/2" barrel. The only stainless or shorter barrel Bisley grip they make is in the Vaquero model with fixed sights.<P>Anyway, I just called Ruger sales department and learned that this is a special non-catalogued run for a wholesaler.<P>They are being made for AccuSport, I think the lady said they are in Ohio. The phone number is 937-593-7010. They are only being made in stainless, 5 1/2" barrel, .45 Colt.<P>If you've wanted a shorter barreled Bisley with adjustable sights you'd better call now. The store where I bought mine, Sportsman's Warehouse, only had two and they both sold in three days.<P>Update:<BR>Apparently this is not a "special run" but this particular configuration is exclusive to AccuSport. One person just called them and they are currently out but will be getting some more in a couple of weeks.<P>Catalog number is KRBN 455W if you're interested.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nice that Ruger finally listened to someone, but it is too bad it is an exclusive as it will probably be higher in price than it should be. I sent them a "wish list" about 3 years ago and this was one of the guns on it. "We have no plans to bring out a SS Bisley any time in the forseeable future" was the response. One of the others I asked for was the SS Redhawk to be returned in .41 Magnum. That got about the same response...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess the problem is that you asked Ruger for "a" stainless Bisley. Now, if you had asked for 2,000 stainless Bisleys... [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Anywho, the one I bought may or may not be representative of the quality of this run. Mine sure is made right. It has standard serial numbering, mine is 48-0081XX. Chamber throats are tight, right around .4515. B/C gap is .004" and uniform all around the cylinder. Many Blackhawks I've examined will pinch a feeler gauge as you turn the cylinder, indicating a face not totally square to the barrel. The barrel diameter at the frame constriction is .4505, while the bore itself seems to run .451 from what I can tell, nice and tight.<P>When I called the Ruger sales deptartment I told them that this is a highly sought after combination and there are "a whole bunch of guys out here that are looking for exactly this combination of barrel length and sights". Whether it made any impression on them remains to be seen, the lady I talked to seemed pretty blase and bored.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim:<P>I had my dealer call Acusport yesterday, the guy we talked to said they were backordered and they thought it might be a year before they had any more. Did your buddy get any further information. Guess I will have to buy one off the net somewhere. Thanks CAT

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
IIFID, sorry, I really don't know that much about this model. I just chanced upon one in a gunstore and then called Ruger to congratulate them on finally having the good sense to start producing it. That's when I learned about the exclusive deal with AcuSport.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim:<P>Found one on the net and bought it. Wound up with $494 in it, including shipping. Might be a little high, but a man has to pay for his desires. I picked it up this morning and it looks good, long creepy trigger but it is so creepy it is almost like a two stage trigger and I think I might be able to shoot it, at least for trial runs. The grips are really slicker than I usually prefer, but if you shot heavy loads that might be an advantage. As I have said elsewhere I tend to be medium load kind of guy in the .45. Seems to work for me.<P>We had a very much needed rain here last night and I may have to wait a day until my range dries out a little, but I'll take that rain, we were seriously dry. I'll let you know how it shoots. BTW, I ain't measuring anything on it until I shoot it. LOL

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
IIFID,<P>I hear you. I have been known to pay top dollar for something just because I had to have it. A certain pair of left handed stainless Winchesters come to mind.<P>Anywho, mine is shooting good without doing anything to it. I unhooked the trigger return spring from the two posts on the grip frame and now have a 2 to 3 ounce trigger (it won't even register on my RCBS pull gauge?!) that I use for load testing. Will rehook one leg when I go to carrying it. 23.0 grains of 296 shoots about 1 to 1 1/2" for 5 shots with Oregon Trail 255 cast SWC and puts Hornady 250 XTP's literally into about a 3/4 inch ragged hole at 25 yards. 19 gains of 2400 will do almost as good with both bullets. It will easily take 25 and 21 grains of those powders respectively but I don't care to load to the max. The velocity for these loads is running around 1250 fps or so - I am very happy.<P>Still working on a middlin' load, 8.0 and 8.5 grains of 231 with the Oregon Trail 255 SWC's at right around 950 to 1000 fps show a lot of promise but at around 2" are not quite as super accurate as the 296/Hornady 250 STP load. <P>Sure am glad I didn't screw with this gun before trying it out<P>Have a 4 5/8" .45 Blackhawk that would beat up my hand something awful with the more powerful loads. I can shoot this Bisley one handed with those loads and it don't hurt hardly at all.<P>I REALLY, REALLY like this Ruger Bisley!<P>Now, if I could just remember this lesson when it comes to rifles. Have an out of the box Model 700 .270 that would go just over 1/2" for three shots with 130 grain Hornadys and Reloder 22. Of course, a couple of weeks ago I had to mess with the forend pressure point and now it strings 'em out. Oh well, a little acraglas in the right place and it should be back to where it started. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim:<P>Thanks for the load information. I'll keep them in mind. I think I've got a bunch of those oregon cast bullets around somewhere, might be time to hunt them up.<P>You are an inveterate tinkerer. Even if I had the time, which I don't, if I had a hunting type rifle stacking them into a half inch, I would just silently thank the rifle gods and LEAVE IT ALONE. LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338rcm, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 13 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,494
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.