Print Thread
Hop To
R
RS308MX Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anybody have any hunting tales to tell using a .308 Marlin Express? I bought one this spring. I shoots very well but I haven't taken anything with it yet. I bought it for use on deer and coyotes. So, what have you taken with it?? Whitetail, Muel Deer? Elk? Something else?

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunted with mine for the first time last season. Mountains of western Virginia.

Shot a average sized 5 pointer...folded him up like a card table.

Shot wasn't very long, 110 yds if I recall.

But I love that rifle, easy to tote and fairly accurate.

You gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
Hey guys, first time at the campfire......
I had been hunting with my .308 MXLR for 2 years, and finally gave up on it. I have tried nearly ever powder, and a few different bullets, but I just can't get it to shoot. Changed scopes, bases, and rings, but to no avail. I did get a few Mule Bucks, a couple white-tails, and an Elk with it, but I shot at a lot that I didn't get too! I have put atleast 1000 rounds down the tube. Maybe I'll still get er figured yet, but am unwilling to hunt with it anymore!!!

Ufish
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ufishifish2
I had been hunting with my .308 MXLR for 2 years, and finally gave up on it. I have tried nearly ever powder, and a few different bullets, but I just can't get it to shoot. Changed scopes, bases, and rings, but to no avail. I did get a few Mule Bucks, a couple white-tails, and an Elk with it, but I shot at a lot that I didn't get too! I have put atleast 1000 rounds down the tube. Maybe I'll still get er figured yet, but am unwilling to hunt with it anymore!!!
This is a joke,right?Just what is it this rifle is not doing for you?Were the animals you took with it not dead enough to suit you, or what?

R
RS308MX Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ufishifish2

Most people I have talked to can't reload anything that can compare to Hornady's factory ammo for accuracy and knock down power. Most give up trying and revert to the factory ammo.

IC B2

Yeah, I could never dream of matching the Hornady factory ammo for knock down power. Doesn't really seem to matter though because even the factory ammo is all over the page. One day I'll get vertical strings, the next day it'll group quite nicely, and the next day I won't be able to hit paper, all with the exact same load.
As far as what "Shameless" typed....... the answer is "Yes", the animals weren't dead enough for me! Most of them needed to be chased all over hells half acre in order to get another shot or two at them after the initial wounding shot. It was downright disgraceful and cruel. That is why it is not used any more. Beautiful rifle though, and I really want to get it to shoot!

Ufish
R
RS308MX Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Make sure the screw on the end of the magazine tube is tight. Check all of the screws for that matter. A starting point anyway.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My first 308MX was a 1 MOA shooter then it it started going south. I found the tenon screw loose.......the screw on the end of the magazine tube..........tightened it up and all is well!

Thanks guys, checked all screws, they were tight. I tried yet another scope today. 5 inch 4 shot groups at best. I officially give up. I am calling Marlin tomorrow to get them to either look at it, or hopefully replace it. Don't know how they'll be with warranty after 2 years. I love the look of the rifle, just to bad it's currently better off hanging on a wall, than at the range.

Ufish
Sorry RS308MX for hijacking your thread. That was never my intention.

Ufish
IC B3

R
RS308MX Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
No problem with the hijack, I don't mind. I just hope you can get that rifle to shoot. I don't think you will have a problem with Marlin. They want people happy with their firearms. Let me know how you make out. I'm interested to know what the problem is and how responsive Marlin is to you.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is the first one I have heard of that did not shoot well.Mine shot very well after four rounds.The first four were not bad.Now it puts three rounds the size of a quarter at 100 yards.It does not like a clean barrel.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
R
RS308MX Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good to hear jdm953! What kind of scope are you using?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just put a new Redfield 2-7X33.Took off a Leupold VXI 2-7x33 after a little accident.

Last edited by jdm953; 03/03/10. Reason: Add to it.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,909
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.