Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Is 22" too short for this caliber?
..............Nope! But as with all magnum rifle cartridges, you`ll always get slightly better performance from a longer barrel.

If you`re going to hunt in thicker brush country or in thicker timber country, a shorter, handier, more nimble and faster rifle is always a plus.

You won`t lose or compromise that much velocity or long range capability at all with 4" of shorter barrel length. With my 16.5" 300 WSM Ruger Frontier carbine, (7.5" shorter than a 24"), I`m running 4.5% to 5% behind in overall velocity to the 24" barreled 300 WSMs. There should be less an overall percentage of loss going from a 26" 7 mag down to a 22" 7 mag.

Sure! Shorter barrels are noisier and that may be a small downside. But, "WE ALL" should be wearing good ear protection anyway,,,,regardless of barrel length.

Anyone who is hard of hearing due to rifle noise and complains about the shorter barrel noise, has only himself to blame.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To me the only belted mag worthy of a short barrel is a 338 Win.Good case to bore ratio there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
guys i am a self proclaimed idiot in terms of reloading. i have been following all kinds of threads on the subject and various calibers being reloaded in. my comment, but really a question because i do not know is this. in terms of the 7mm rem mag and it's skinny bore to case size, i am under the impression from past readings here and other places that you really don't get the full benifit of that cartridge/powder capacity until you go to the longer 26" barrels and the heavy for caliber bullets to take advantage of the slower powders required for that much case capcity and bore size. not that you can't make it shoot well in other barrel lengths and bullet sizes, but to achieve the best that caliber and case size matched together has to offer. am i way off on this? have i over generalized in terms of the 7mm rem mag and it's abilities? again i don't know so i'm asking.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
guys i am a self proclaimed idiot in terms of reloading. i have been following all kinds of threads on the subject and various calibers being reloaded in. my comment, but really a question because i do not know is this. in terms of the 7mm rem mag and it's skinny bore to case size, i am under the impression from past readings here and other places that you really don't get the full benifit of that cartridge/powder capacity until you go to the longer 26" barrels and the heavy for caliber bullets to take advantage of the slower powders required for that much case capcity and bore size. not that you can't make it shoot well in other barrel lengths and bullet sizes, but to achieve the best that caliber and case size matched together has to offer. am i way off on this? have i over generalized in terms of the 7mm rem mag and it's abilities? again i don't know so i'm asking.
...................The only thing lost with a shorter barrel,,,,is velocity. Not accuracy or anything else.

Regardless of barrel length, whether it be the shorties like my two, a 16.5" tubed 300 WSM or a 20" tubed 375 Ruger, one re-loads the "EXACT" same way as though one were shooting a 24" or even a 26" barrel in the same given cartridge.

Regardless of the powder burn rate, the powder itself is completely burned up before the bullet leaves the barrel. HOWEVER, with the shorter barrels, you will get more left-over gases coming out from the muzzle as opposed to a longer barrel; hence more muzzle flash.

It is also perceived that faster burning powders are more efficient from shorter tubes. Just as in longer barrels, many faster burning powders do offer better velocity to the grains of powder used, but "NOT" more velocity.

The term "full benefit" from a longer barreled 270 WSM, 270, 7mm Mag, a 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM or whatever the cartridge happens to be, can only mean "additional velocity" or better ballistic performance, because that`s all there can be as far as "full benefit" is concerned.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think I am going to do what one of the members here suggested and have it cut to 25".

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.