Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Bricktop
No, you never sent a rifle, did you? I'm "telling" you, you're wrong. You are apparently basing your beliefs on assumptions and inferences vice any actual experience. Try actually sending a rifle to Ruger.

Well, whatever anyone may think, I did send Ruger a rifle last fall.

I had a 1-B in .338 win mag. The fore-end was used and abused beyond repair. I enclosed a Money Order for a new fore-end. The previous owner had had sights installed. I asked for a 1-S forend. In my cover letter, I also complained that the barrel was not properly rifled frow when it was new, and accuracy was dismal.

In due time, (about 60 days, IIRC) the rifle was returned to my dealer with a NEW barrel, Totally reblued, and NEW wood installed. (both fore-end and buttstock) An explanation was rendered to my dealer to the effect that it could ONLY be refurbished to original configuration.

While I really have no complaints about the service performed and the price paid, I really would have rather had the 1-S style fore-end. But as the man said: "You can't always get what you want!"

So there you have it: This is my experience. Yours to accept or reject as you so choose...

Edw

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
Bricktop,

In other words, you never did it? But pontificated on it?

1B
What is this? Another variation on a tree falling in a forest with no one around? If no one posts here -- by your "logic" -- then it didn't happen?

Jesus Christ. What I want to know is when you're going to grow some balls and call Ruger. Or maybe you have but didn't get the answer you wanted.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
No, you never sent a rifle, did you? I'm "telling" you, you're wrong. You are apparently basing your beliefs on assumptions and inferences vice any actual experience. Try actually sending a rifle to Ruger.
Well, whatever anyone may think, I did send Ruger a rifle last fall.

I had a 1-B in .338 win mag. The fore-end was used and abused beyond repair. I enclosed a Money Order for a new fore-end. The previous owner had had sights installed. I asked for a 1-S forend. In my cover letter, I also complained that the barrel was not properly rifled frow when it was new, and accuracy was dismal.

In due time, (about 60 days, IIRC) the rifle was returned to my dealer with a NEW barrel, Totally reblued, and NEW wood installed. (both fore-end and buttstock) An explanation was rendered to my dealer to the effect that it could ONLY be refurbished to original configuration.

While I really have no complaints about the service performed and the price paid, I really would have rather had the 1-S style fore-end. But as the man said: "You can't always get what you want!"

So there you have it: This is my experience. Yours to accept or reject as you so choose...

Edw
Why didn't you send the rifle yourself. It's been my experience -- with most anything -- that the more intermediaries involved means more errors in instructions.

And did you see the letter?

As I've previously posted, Ruger does not GUARANTEE that they can accommodate your request. It depends on availability.

Ruger's representatives very clearly stated to me in our telephone conversation that they could fit a different style forearm and that that would be dependent on other factors. See my comments at the link.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Why didn't you send the rifle yourself. It's been my experience -- with most anything -- that the more intermediaries involved means more errors in instructions.

I did not send the rifle myself because I don't do that for personal reasons. And more importantly, by my dealer sending it, and with cover letter written on his business stationery, and enclosing a copy of his FFL - I got the new fore-end for dealer cost. The difference wasn't really all that much, but I takes my discounts where I can get them. smile (And no, I am not disclosing the amount I paid because it is unethical to give out that information.)

And no I did NOT see the letter, I saw no reason to question my friends word about the issue. Mostly because I really didn't expect to get it anyway, but I'm not above asking... smile

Edw

Addendum: Perhaps if the fore-end availability had been different, then mayhap I might have received a 1-S fore-end. But the fact is; I did not!

Last edited by Grasshopper; 03/10/10.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grasshopper

I did not send the rifle myself because I don't do that for personal reasons. And more importantly, by my dealer sending it, and with cover letter written on his business stationery, and enclosing a copy of his FFL - I got the new fore-end for dealer cost. The difference wasn't really all that much, but I takes my discounts where I can get them. smile (And no, I am not disclosing the amount I paid because it is unethical to give out that information.)

And no I did NOT see the letter, I saw no reason to question my friends word about the issue. Mostly because I really didn't expect to get it anyway, but I'm not above asking... smile

Edw
Uh-huh. Anyway, see my comments at the link provided. Ruger doesn't guarantee they can accommodate your request, but it's possible and their answer isn't a blanket "NO" if you ask. Unless you have 1B's winning personality.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just got off the phone with a nice lady from Ruger customer service in New Hampshire..

I posed the Question to her this way-

If I send you a No1 B rifle that needs a new forearm IS IT POSSIBLE to have a No1 S forearm put on it?

Now, as a practial matter , the no1S and no1B barrel contours are the SAME.. so in reality it COULD be done..

But it won't be done by Ruger's service dept.

She told me EMPHATICALLY NO.

Ruger's customer service policy is that ALL Ruger No1 stocks are a FACTORY FITTED PART and are ONLY installed on an EXCHANGE basis. NO mixing of parts between models.

Not for freinds ,buddies or folks who "ask nicely". She told me it had NOTHING to do with "parts availability", either. You will only get the part that on that model as it came from the factory, no "crosbreeding" of parts.

She had been working there for 2O years now and she told me the policy has ALWAYS been that way as long as she had worked there..

Last edited by jim62; 03/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62
Not for freinds ,buddies or folks who "ask nicely".
And you're posting this because it's not in you to ask "nicely?"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Jim,

That is EXACTLY the understanding that I had.

In Ken Waters' premise on the .280 Rem "Pet Loads" he tells of taking his 1-B back to the factory and having them fit iron sights, barrel band, and a Alexander Henry fore-end. He states they even gave him the original fore-end back. I guess if one is a well-known gun writer, then perhaps one just might get special treatment.

I don't resent the fact that Mr. Waters' rec'd special treatment, but I do resent the fact that he wrote it up and it's obvious that he got something I can't. blush Had I never known about it, it wouldn't have bothered me a bit.

I'd wager that there's likely more than one member of the Ruger Collector's Assn, that has garnered a special favor or two. Perhaps El Numero Uno might have something to say about that...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geemanycreepers. How long can this discussion go on?

Rolly
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Rolly
Geemanycreepers. How long can this discussion go on?

Obviously, A lot longer than it should have... frown

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Oh ,yes, I certainly asked her nicely... We had a nice chat about their parts replacment policy. She found it amazing the false rumors some folks spread on the 'net. wink

That lady told me the same thing that the head of Ruger customer service, Dick Bellieu, told me in 1992. Unless BILL RUGER HIMSELF approves it, NO mixing of parts is EVER done. Period.

He told me Bill Ruger always wanted his service dept used for LEGITMATE parts replacment- NOT so folks could create their own Limited editions or collectables by mixing parts.

In 1992 I was told the same thing when I had sent them a 1984 built m77V in .220 swift with a barrel that developed pitting in the muzzle. I sent it back to be rebarreled under warrantee .By 1992 they were out of Blued .220 Swift heavy barrels. They had fully transitioned into the m77 Mark ll rifles and were not making them anymore.

To fullfill their warrantee obligation and replace that barrel they HAD to come up with something. They only had 22-250 and 243 barrels on hand. Dick Bellieu had to CALL MR RUGER'S OFFICE in Prescott, AZ and get special permison to make that caliber change. Mr Bellieu told me that in 10 years of running the Customer service dept there, it was the ONLY time he had seen that happen.

Last edited by jim62; 03/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh ,yes, I certainly asked her nicely...
That's your side.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go buy a plank and knock one out. With a handsaw, some chisels, rasps, and gouges it should be short work. Also, keep an eye on Ebay. I've seen some fabricated but unfinished wood listed there.

1Minute
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop,

You do offer some good info and insights. This stubborn insistence on a clearly false assertion undermines that status.
You owe yourself more than that.

Oldman42...there's a new challenger on the horizon.

1B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
Bricktop,

You do offer some good info and insights. This stubborn insistence on a clearly false assertion undermines that status.
You owe yourself more than that.

Oldman42...there's a new challenger on the horizon.

1B
Did you ever grow a pair of balls to call Ruger's service department or not?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I can say that I have only gotten but one favor, but that is the only one I ever asked for. When the 7mm STW came out, way back when, I asked for one and got it from the Factory. I paid for it. This was from Bill Ruger's Granddaughter. I had talked with her on occasion and was good friends with her late father. The Factory has my FFL on file due to receiving one of the Low Serial # Rugers for a friend.
I can comment on the Waters rifle, as I now own it. It was about 10 years after I first contacted Mr. Waters that he decided to sell it. He had just written it up in great detail in a Rifle magazine. I have both forearms. This was nearly 10 years ago.
Robert Chatfield-Taylor also had a similar treatment done to a 1B .280; it is serial# 21; it came back out of Newport as a 1S in 7x65R. The Writers and Friends could get some interesting work done!
Today, I really don't know what any regular Customer could get done! But, you guys have just about worn it out.

Last edited by El_Numero_Uno; 03/10/10.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've learned one valuable lesson from this painfully drawn out thread. That is, Bricktop is a complete a$$hole, and now joins a select few on my ignore list. My God man, give it a rest! Your description of your occupation is pretty telling of your attitude in general, and your opinion of others. "Babysitter of adults"....my my, aren't you impressed with yourself! Must be the smartest man on earth, and correct 100% of the time.

Oh yeah, Bricktop, I've also actually shipped a No.1 to Ruger, as it didn't shoot worth a hoot. I was told in no uncertain terms that it would be returned to me as issued. They did just that. It was returned with a new barrel, a new forearm, and a complete re-blue, along with the old forearm. It now shoots great. Also, it doesn't really require "balls" to send in a rifle, and I really am puzzled by your reference to said part of the male anatomy, in relation to the subject of simply shipping a rifle in for repair. What is up with that?

Your silence will indeed, be golden! grin

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by akjeff
That is, Bricktop is a complete a$$hole
We can't all be as sweet as you, can we?

Originally Posted by akjeff
Oh yeah, Bricktop, I've also actually shipped a No.1 to Ruger, as it didn't shoot worth a hoot. I was told in no uncertain terms that it would be returned to me as issued.
Given your sunny disposition and "wit," I find it hard to believe that anyone would refuse the will of the likes of you. Might I recommend the Dale Carnegie course or something from Norman Vincent Peale? Perhaps some lithium would be in order as well.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop,

I have not and will not take your fairy tale to Ruger.

When I want a Ruger in a particular profile I find a good smith and have him redo a donor for me. I don't chase phantoms from the inet loosed by unreliable wingnut "sources".

1B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
Bricktop,

I have not and will not take your fairy tale to Ruger.

When I want a Ruger in a particular profile I find a good smith and have him redo a donor for me. I don't chase phantoms from the inet loosed by unreliable wingnut "sources".

1B
In other words, you're too much of a wuss to pick up the telephone and ask.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 338rcm, 2500HD, 160user, 39 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,517
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.