Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, this is some of the foundation stock. The breeder I would recommend is out of Hershey, PA.

GB1

S
S
I had an english setter until about 4 years ago. (she died at 18 years of age) She was my "once in a lifetime dog". She was about 5 years old when I got her from my uncle. She peed in the house a grand total of 3 times while I was house breaking her. Her greatest desire was to please me. They are great dogs, but each has their own personality.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW! laugh

What great looking hunting buddies HUNTS and Huntaria! I really appreciate your sharing the photos with us. These are beautiful dogs. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks! I need more photos in the field like yours!

Great looking pups as well. I think it will be setters now for the rest of my life. Can't see liking any other dog as much.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
We have a beautiful 4 year old female setter from Suncanyon Setters in Arizona. She is as calm and quiet in the house as a cat would be, except if someone knocks on the door[great watchdog, stops barking as soon as I go to the door] She is the keenest hunter I have had of my three setters over the years. Hates cats and squirrels though. She would be considered close-working for a pointing dog, in fact the previous owner that got her as a pup from SC, said he didn't want her because she turned out too close-working. His loss, my gain!

"Mama tried..."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My English; Lady Bird, is as sweet as you could want, but probably a tad high strung for your liking. Her mother Tess was very calm and one of the best trained pointers I've had the opportunity to hunt over. Lady Bird never developed into a good quail dog due to lack of trainer commitment, but she's a sweet heart with my 3 year old son.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huntaria- being from Kentucky, do you know anything about Mountain View Setters (Mike Bloodgood)?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I know about the Bondhu dogs. I've hunted them a fair amount. I believe this is essentially what this fellow has. PM me and I'd be willing to tell you about my experience with them and my thoughts. Just so its no mystery to anyone that's reading, I've had no bad experiences with them, but I prefer bigger running dogs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All five of mine are real goers... I like that in chuckar dogs, as they need to cover a lot of square miles to locate birds.

I am able to get two of them to work close to me on command without threat of torture, so it works out well, once we break up coveys into scattered singles. laugh

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I suppose that's the only thing that gives me some pause. I've seen these dogs with some range, but I've seen boot polishers too. Just like with English Setters, the exact bloodline matters. What are your dogs out of?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ms. Scarlet is out of Hank's grandson, but I don't have her papers handy so the Dam is unknown presently. Her son and daughter were out of a dog in Filer ID, but the owner never sent me the papers or DNA kit, so the grandson and granddaughter are out of Scarlet's daughter and a local guy's Llewellin he got out of Oregon.

I don't breed the dogs for sale, so papers have not been kept. I saw all of them at various times, but never pursued it.

The new dogs are the last ones I'll even need, so no breeding is in their future.

All are western dogs from NV, ID and OR lineage. The males get very big, by the way. My two males have superior noses, but the adult, Rocky, has no desire to retrieve. He does point staunch however, and he finds the dead/down birds well.

LOL...he did retrieve a cell phone someone lost on the mountain when he was a pup, however. He was so dmned proud of that!! grin

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nose is the thing I've always bred for, then range. My foundation stock, Mollie, could smell a quail fart from 200 yards away.

It really comes down to how YOU like to hunt. I'm pretty sure most guys would be frustrated by my dogs, cause I let'em go, then look for them. I learned this from my grandfather who had pointers that would be gone for hours. It was your job to find them.

At the end of February in 1960, he had 93 wild quail in the freezer and this was after eating a bunch of them. I sure wish bird populations were like that again.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 04/10/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It really comes down to how YOU like to hunt. I'm pretty sure most guys would be frustrated by my dogs, cause I let'em go, then look for them. I learned this from my grandfather who had pointers that would be gone for hours.

Motion beeper collars sure help with that. My FIL lost a big running, hot blooded Setter to a 'yote pack and almost had the same thing happen to a county crossing GSP.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Absolutely. I've been using these since 1990. Although, now that my hearing is not once what it was, I'm looking into the GPS tracking units.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
Absolutely. I've been using these since 1990. Although, now that my hearing is not once what it was, I'm looking into the GPS tracking units.

If you try one out, please give a report on it. I think they may be good for this country.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
H.S. I have always stayed away from setters because I was afraid that they hunted to close for me. I am like you and let my english pointers out of the box and listen to there beepers. With quail populations they way they are a dog must cover ground to find them.

How far will your dogs range? I know my dogs depending on cover but alot of times they are 200 to 400 yards which is what I like. If they can see me they will really turn it on and range.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one that works out to about 150 yards, then back, and the others go out at least twice as far, then back, then on out again. These dogs GO! shocked I like the fact that they are mostly white in our brown/gray terrain. It makes them easier to spot at 400-600 yards... wink

For this vast area chuckar hunting, we need dogs that aren't afraid to get out to find the birds. My biggest problem is getting them to hunt close for quail or a rare pheasant hunt. Old Scarlet and her son Rocky will work close, so I have that covered. grin

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by DINK
H.S. I have always stayed away from setters because I was afraid that they hunted to close for me. I am like you and let my english pointers out of the box and listen to there beepers. With quail populations they way they are a dog must cover ground to find them.

How far will your dogs range? I know my dogs depending on cover but alot of times they are 200 to 400 yards which is what I like. If they can see me they will really turn it on and range.

Dink

My setters will cover about as much ground as many pointers. It depends on the bloodline of the pointer or setter though. In general, a quarter mile is not unusual for my setters run beanfield edges and I have had them go a bit farther than that if they can see me. They are pretty smart and tend to adjust their range to the cover. When I'm hunting grouse in the gray dogwoods of MI, they'll work quite a bit closer (but then again, I sort of hack at them to keep them a bit closer).

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Dink

You've exhausted your quota of birds shot over those dogs. Send 'em to me for a season or two... wink

My setters will cover about as much ground as many pointers. It depends on the bloodline of the pointer or setter though. In general, a quarter mile is not unusual for my setters run beanfield edges and I have had them go a bit farther than that if they can see me. They are pretty smart and tend to adjust their range to the cover. When I'm hunting grouse in the gray dogwoods of MI, they'll work quite a bit closer (but then again, I sort of hack at them to keep them a bit closer).

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Dink

You've exhausted your quota of birds shot over those dogs. Send 'em to me for a season... or two. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 1,988 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.