Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My favorite lamb preparation is a leg done on the rotisserie over the grille. I trim off the excess fat and brush on olive oil, then apply a rub of salt, garlic, rosemary and sage the day before roasting.

When it hits 135 internal temperature, take it off the spit, cover it and let it rest for 20-30 minutes. Serve with your best red wine and grilled potato quarters. cool

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Besides, Cheesy likes well done steaks so his taste is suspect anyway. laugh

Not well, just medium well, but I reckon if I had a choice between a well done strip steak and some lamb, I'd take the well done.

Ain't it funny how a few instances in our life make us perceive how reality is? I guess I had some bad sheep, so in my head that means 'once suckled' lamb isn't any good.

Life is good. smile

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm a big fan of lamb chops on the grill. I usually marinade them using a recipe from the New Basics cook book with just a pinch of curry powder thrown in. Good eats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wildswalker
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I'm the odd man out I guess. Have ordered it a few times at various Greek restaurants and can't stand it. Reminded me of a poorly prepared deer.

You weren't getting Lamb, you were getting Hogget or Mutton, possibly sold as "lamb".

First year "Sheep" are Lamb, older is Hogget, then OLD ASS is Mutton.

We only eat Lamb.......

I am the "odder" man out as I love mutton. Braised, slow roasted rubbed in rosemary and garlic, and, hold onto your seats, jeerky. It is next to impossible to find mutton for sale up here though. It is a real close second to venison for me.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

First year "Sheep" are Lamb, older is Hogget, then OLD ASS is Mutton.

If it eats grass, I can grill it.

Lamb and veal are at the top of that list.
Frankly, a spotted fawn is in danger.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

He didn't much care for sheep. smile

L.W.

Eating "sheep" isn't quite the same as eating Lamb......

It was to that old cattle rancher. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

He didn't much care for sheep. smile

L.W.

Eating "sheep" isn't quite the same as eating Lamb......

It was to that old cattle rancher. smile

L.W.

lamb remains "hit or miss" around here in the SE USA at the groceries. the cuts vary, availability varies, and so does the price...we're not in the main-stream lamb markets, but a few years ago there was no lamb offered at all. well, maybe the butcher could have ordered it, like a whole-hog nowadays. but, it wasn't placed in the counter for retail sales...so, we are progressing.

thanks for all the good ideas and inputs. mint and rosemary seems to ring a bell. maybe a bit of thyme and sage. i'll continue to keep an eye out, while picking and choosing good cuts of meat. i've seen it cooked on both the Food Channel and the Travel Channel. have also eaten it at a Greek Orthodox Church near the ATL. will keep learning.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus
our local Kroger (and Ingles on occasion), and maybe others sometimes offers lamb cuts.

sometimes they are roasts, maybe sliced pieces. also some lamb shanks (lower legs, i guess?).

we never ate lamb growing up, and have only had it a few times. it looks pricey, from my view, but what do i know?

how are some ways to fix it? and how does one decide on whether to go with beef or lamb? is it an acquired taste. lot's of cooking shows address recipes from time to time. i'd like to know more, but don't want to spend money on something that is not so good? looking for general cooking ideas, if anyone would care to share.
I love lamb. Grew up on it. I made a rack of lamb just last week that I marinaded/coated in a mixture of dijon mustard, fresh rosemary, oregano, and sage (all from my herb garden), lemon juice and olive oil, then oven roasted. Not long before that, I made a fantastic braised lamb shank.

I often broil chops too, marinated in lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Rib chops are always good, but a cheaper chop that's nearly as good is called the round bone shoulder chop. I also love a lamb stew. I love chops and racks rare. Naturally, stews and braises are slow cooked till the meat practically falls apart.

Here's the braised lamb shank I made last week.

[Linked Image]

Here's a leg I roasted:

[Linked Image]
Here's a stew:

[Linked Image]

And a chop:

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Braised Lamb Shank III.jpg (78.95 KB, 597 downloads)
Leg of Lamb.JPG (53.46 KB, 584 downloads)
Lamb Stew.JPG (56.42 KB, 570 downloads)
Lamb Shoulder II.JPG (36.43 KB, 579 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like lamb. Especially this time of year.
There is nothing better than soda bread with lamb stew with leeks and neeps and carrots and swedes and lots of black pepper on a wet windy March day.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gus
so, everything we procure at the Publix, etc, is probably young sheep, if it is labeled as lamb? i'm thinking it is.
If it's called "lamb," then it has to, by law, be under one year old. After a year, it's mutton, and must be labeled as such.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mathman
Besides, Cheesy likes well done steaks so his taste is suspect anyway. laugh
Agreed. Rare is the only way to go, if it's not a braise or stew.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Gus
our local Kroger (and Ingles on occasion), and maybe others sometimes offers lamb cuts.

sometimes they are roasts, maybe sliced pieces. also some lamb shanks (lower legs, i guess?).

we never ate lamb growing up, and have only had it a few times. it looks pricey, from my view, but what do i know?

how are some ways to fix it? and how does one decide on whether to go with beef or lamb? is it an acquired taste. lot's of cooking shows address recipes from time to time. i'd like to know more, but don't want to spend money on something that is not so good? looking for general cooking ideas, if anyone would care to share.
I love lamb. Grew up on it. I made a rack of lamb just last week that I marinaded/coated in a mixture of dijon mustard, fresh rosemary, oregano, and sage (all from my herb garden), lemon juice and olive oil, then oven roasted. Not long before that, I made a fantastic braised lamb shank.

I often broil chops too, marinated in lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Rib chops are always good, but a cheaper chop that's nearly as good is called the round bone shoulder chop. I also love a lamb stew. I love chops and racks rare. Naturally, stews and braises are slow cooked till the meat practically falls apart.

Here's the braised lamb shank I made last week.

[Linked Image]

Here's a leg I roasted:

[Linked Image]
Here's a stew:

[Linked Image]

And a chop:

[Linked Image]

TRH, care to share that stew recipe?

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rkamp
Sure. My grandmother made it strictly with lamb neck bones, but I also buy lamb meat and cube it to add to the necks. First you flour coat the meat and neck pieces (salt and pepper the flour first), then you brown them good in hot oil. Remove and set aside. Now pour out all but about a tablespoon of fat (leave any burned on solids in the pot for flavor), and saut� one medium sized sliced onion in it till it starts to soften. Add back the meat and bones, along with some wine (a cup), garlic (two lightly crushed cloves), rosemary (fresh is best, about a teaspoon full, coarsely chopped) , a couple of length-wise halved and "deveined" (i.e., remove the tough white stuff in the center from near the stem) plum tomatoes (remove the skin when it loosens), and enough stock (beef or chicken will do) to just cover everything. Simmer this for an hour and a half. Remove the lamb and toss out the bones after removing all the meat. Now put the gravy through a wire strainer and squeeze all the liquid out. Put the liquid back in the pot and throw away the residue (if the gravy is oily, remove the oil by putting it through a degreaser, which is a container with a spout from the bottom) and adjust the salt to taste. Put the meat back in with the gravy, and add some cut carrots and potatoes and simmer till those are nearly done (half hour to 45 minutes), then add some frozen peas and simmer till carrots and potatoes are to your liking. Serve with some nice fresh Italian bread to soak up the gravy.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Lamb Stew Pot.JPG (55.32 KB, 306 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Sure. My grandmother made it strictly with lamb neck bones, but I also buy lamb meat and cube it to add to the necks. First you flour coat the meat and neck pieces (salt and pepper the flour first), then you brown them good in hot oil. Remove and set aside. Now pour out all but about a tablespoon of fat (leave any burned on solids in the pot for flavor), and saut� one medium sized sliced onion in it till it starts to soften. Add back the meat and bones, along with some wine (a cup), garlic (two lightly crushed cloves), rosemary (fresh is best, about a teaspoon full, coarsely chopped) , a couple of length-wise halved and "deveined" (i.e., remove the tough white stuff in the center from near the stem) plumb tomatoes (remove the skin when it loosens), and enough stock (beef or chicken will do) to just cover everything. Simmer this for an hour and a half. Remove the lamb and toss out the bones after removing all the meat. Now put the gravy through a wire strainer and squeeze all the liquid out. Put the liquid back in the pot and throw away the residue (if the gravy is oily, remove the oil by putting it through a degreaser, which is a container with a spout from the bottom) and adjust the salt to taste. Put the meat back in with the gravy, and add some cut carrots and potatoes and simmer till those are nearly done (half hour to 45 minutes), then add some frozen peas and simmer till carrots and potatoes are to your liking. Serve with some nice fresh Italian bread to soak up the gravy.

[Linked Image]

Grazie Paisan!

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Grazie Paisan!
Prego. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Haven't eaten lamb since I was a kid. Must have been cheap back then as I remember having leg of lamb a lot.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When we raised sheep we had lamb frequently. Never prepared it in a way we didn't like. I usually roasted it in the oven or had chops. Miss them little critters sometimes. Nothing like walking into the barnyard and having 60 lambs calling you by name laugh Maaaaaaaa maaaaaaaaaaaa.

Sassy

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sassy
When we raised sheep we had lamb frequently. Never prepared it in a way we didn't like. I usually roasted it in the oven or had chops. Miss them little critters sometimes. Nothing like walking into the barnyard and having 60 lambs calling you by name laugh Maaaaaaaa maaaaaaaaaaaa.
How could you eat your babies?? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lamb is very common over here, ranking along side beef and chicken as the one of the most commonly eaten meats.

That said, I'm not a fan myself and much prefer beef or even chicken.

Incidently, "mutton" is making a come back over here after being promoted by various celebraty chiefs.

In recent years "mutton" got the reputation of being from some scraggy toothless fly blown sheep on its last legs, but now farmers are selling sheep in their prime (five or six years old) as mutton. The taste is said to be stronger than lamb in the same way good beef is tastes stronger than veal.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 03/14/10.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like lamb shanks, A LOT. My mother-in-law makes them anytime she's in town. She just crock-pots them with some herbs (rosemary and sage and she usually puts a little tomato paste or something and garlic on them as they cook). She puts plenty of carrots and potatoes in as well and it's about as good as it gets. I like other cuts of lamb as well, but don't eat it near as often because it's usually expensive around here.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 18,638 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,859
Posts18,537,673
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.