Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hawk,
I wanna come eat with you.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AJD
Hawk,
I wanna come eat with you.
laugh Come on over. Made linguine with shrimp marinara tonight. Tomorrow it's osso buco. Stuffed veal chop Wednesday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
YUCK.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by rkamp
Grazie Paisan!
Prego. wink

Made the stew using shoulder shanks on St. Paddy's day. 2 cups of good Chianti and 2 cans of canned chicken stock, you can never use too much wine. No need to strain the stock, just skimmed the top for residue. Added celery/carrots, removed, and added carrots and finely chopped red potatoes that added body to gravy. Let sit for one day.

The beauty of your family recipe is that the lamb is settled and tenderized by the wine and olive oil. Kids loved the gravy and bread, if not the lamb, great late Winter meal.

Last edited by rkamp; 03/18/10.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang you made that sound good!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have put on a couple of pounds trying to keep pace with all the recipes on this board, fish tacos, chorizo and beans ?

I need a salad!

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Grazie Paisan!
Prego. wink

Made the stew using shoulder shanks on St. Paddy's day. 2 cups of good Chianti and 2 cans of canned chicken stock, you can never use too much wine. No need to strain the stock, just skimmed the top for residue. Added celery/carrots, removed, and added carrots and finely chopped red potatoes that added body to gravy. Let sit for one day.

The beauty of your family recipe is that the lamb is settled and tenderized by the wine and olive oil. Kids loved the gravy and bread, if not the lamb, great late Winter meal.
Sounds great. Glad you liked it. Wonder why the kids didn't enjoy the lamb.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grazie Paisan!
Prego. wink

Sounds great. Glad you liked it. Wonder why the kids didn't enjoy the lamb.

I think it is psychological.

[Linked Image]

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Oh. Now I get it. They are very cute little animals. That lamb is cute too. laugh

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
went by the local grocer today, and not an ounce of lamb, of any description or type.

bought some fresh pork sausage. they had some veal, but i'm not into that, so much.

obviously, lamb is hit or miss in my local community. i'm committed to learning more about the subject, and how best to cook it. the posts here shows me there is interest, and good recipes.

the price is also a factor, but i can deal with that, if i don't eat it too often.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I love lamb. rack of lamb or lamb chops mostly brioled, or over an open pit of mesquite coals, even pan fried...I even like it dipped in flour and fried..I don't particularly care for mutton, its normally a bit strong. I don't care for lamb shanks either.

I also really like goat meat split in half and cooked over an open fire pit of mesquite coals..or deep fried in lean thumb size chunks in corn meal is addicting...We had a fish fry and ran out of fish, so we killed a couple of my goats and fried them that way and never went back to fish, from that day on we had a goat fry..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love it in a gyro, but that's the only way I've eaten it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like leg of lamb medium rare to rare. I like a lot of it. Lamb chops are great also with the loin of course.

Blood on the lamb or beef for that matter is what I like. It makes it juicy and tasty. Thats why I don't like 'charcoal' broiled anything as that kind of cooking leaves a burnt/dry taste to me.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best lamb that I remember was cooked on a spit over a bed of hardwood coals. I was a little kid at the time and probably traumatized for life by watching my grandfather slaughter and dress the lamb "old country" style. grin And it was true lamb, not half-way mutton you can come across today. Anyway the lamb was wired to a spit and basted with butter as it was turned. I don't recall the occasion but we didn't have to invite the neighbors, about half of the little town just showed up.

Also memorable because uncle Frankie, in spite of his father's warnings, almost blew himself up throwing gasoline on the wood to get the fire going.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gus
our local Kroger (and Ingles on occasion), and maybe others sometimes offers lamb cuts.

sometimes they are roasts, maybe sliced pieces. also some lamb shanks (lower legs, i guess?).

we never ate lamb growing up, and have only had it a few times. it looks pricey, from my view, but what do i know?

how are some ways to fix it? and how does one decide on whether to go with beef or lamb? is it an acquired taste. lot's of cooking shows address recipes from time to time. i'd like to know more, but don't want to spend money on something that is not so good? looking for general cooking ideas, if anyone would care to share.
I love lamb. Grew up on it. I made a rack of lamb just last week that I marinaded/coated in a mixture of dijon mustard, fresh rosemary, oregano, and sage (all from my herb garden), lemon juice and olive oil, then oven roasted. Not long before that, I made a fantastic braised lamb shank.

I often broil chops too, marinated in lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Rib chops are always good, but a cheaper chop that's nearly as good is called the round bone shoulder chop. I also love a lamb stew. I love chops and racks rare. Naturally, stews and braises are slow cooked till the meat practically falls apart.

Here's the braised lamb shank I made last week.

[Linked Image]

Here's a leg I roasted:

[Linked Image]
Here's a stew:

[Linked Image]

And a chop:

[Linked Image]

Dude,

My mouth is watering sooooooooo much !!

Originally coming from Australia, I literally grew up eating Lamb, Mutton & Hoggart. It's all gr8 if cooked correctly. Flavour & "fattiness" increases, as you ease up through the Lamb to Mutton & Mutton to Hoggart.

Fresh is hard to get up here, although we can buy frozen New Zealand legs of Lamb & frozen shoulder chops.

Mmm, thinking a quick trip to "Extra Foods" on the way home & then a slow roasted leg tomorrow night. Anyone close by got a couple of good bottles of Australian 1996 or 98 (Barossa Valley) Shiraz ?

Paul. smile cool smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by Gus
our local Kroger (and Ingles on occasion), and maybe others sometimes offers lamb cuts.

sometimes they are roasts, maybe sliced pieces. also some lamb shanks (lower legs, i guess?).

we never ate lamb growing up, and have only had it a few times. it looks pricey, from my view, but what do i know?

how are some ways to fix it? and how does one decide on whether to go with beef or lamb? is it an acquired taste. lot's of cooking shows address recipes from time to time. i'd like to know more, but don't want to spend money on something that is not so good? looking for general cooking ideas, if anyone would care to share.
I love lamb. Grew up on it. I made a rack of lamb just last week that I marinaded/coated in a mixture of dijon mustard, fresh rosemary, oregano, and sage (all from my herb garden), lemon juice and olive oil, then oven roasted. Not long before that, I made a fantastic braised lamb shank.

I often broil chops too, marinated in lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Rib chops are always good, but a cheaper chop that's nearly as good is called the round bone shoulder chop. I also love a lamb stew. I love chops and racks rare. Naturally, stews and braises are slow cooked till the meat practically falls apart.

Here's the braised lamb shank I made last week.

[Linked Image]

Here's a leg I roasted:

[Linked Image]
Here's a stew:

[Linked Image]

And a chop:

[Linked Image]

Dude,

My mouth is watering sooooooooo much !!

Originally coming from Australia, I literally grew up eating Lamb, Mutton & Hoggart. It's all gr8 if cooked correctly. Flavour & "fattiness" increases, as you ease up through the Lamb to Mutton & Mutton to Hoggart.

Fresh is hard to get up here, although we can buy frozen New Zealand legs of Lamb & frozen shoulder chops.

Mmm, thinking a quick trip to "Extra Foods" on the way home & then a slow roasted leg tomorrow night. Anyone close by got a couple of good bottles of Australian 1996 or 98 (Barossa Valley) Shiraz ?

Paul. smile cool smile

i could probably develop a taste for the stuff, it's just that the local groceries don't stock it on a regular routine. and, when they do, it's, in my view, pricey.

but, the flavor is there, for sure.

as to farmers, is it more reasonable to grow goats, sheep, or wild-range beef?? production costs influence final sales costs?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Generally sheep and goats can be reared on much poorer ground than cattle and they also tend to tollerate bad weather better, to a degree any way.

If you want flavour, mutton is they to go apparently...By mutton, I don't mean some scabby toothless sheep thats on the verge of death, but rather an animal of about 3 or 4 years old, ie in its prime...

Last edited by Pete E; 04/25/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had stew and flatbread in Window Rock, AZ on the Navajo reservation once when work sent me there. The bread was great, but the stew was mutton to write home about.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by prostrate8
I had stew and flatbread in Window Rock, AZ on the Navajo reservation once when work sent me there. The bread was great, but the stew was mutton to write home about.
Beef ain't got nutt'n on mutton.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prostrate8
Beef ain't got nutt'n on mutton.

I'd take beef hemorrhoid over that gristly mutton stew. Did I mention that the flat bread was great. That Navajo reservation was the most impoverished place I've ever visited.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (21, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 6,714 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,827
Posts18,537,004
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.