Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the reply folks. I was singed a little around the edges on a thread similar to this one in another form a while back. I am by no means an anti-lead shooter, but if using non-leaded bullets in certain area's will help the anti's to go away, I'm in.

Some of your responses have me asking some new questions like is the California ban working? What else could be killing these birds? Are other animals dieing due to ingesting lead (obviously their dieing due to lead grin )? There were some answers but it still makes you think.

Have a great day!!!

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Safe for human consumption is not safe for California condors. We humans can tolerate quite a bit of lead in our tissues before symptoms of chronic lead poisoning start to manifest themselves. Noel Snyder, a retired (and well-respected) avian biologist who worked with condor restoration for many years, put it to me succinctly. He said, "If a condor bites a bullet, it dies".

Whether or not we should be trying to save a species that seems poorly suited to the realities of life in modern North America is a political argument. The science behind the threat of lead poisoning in California condors has never been shown to be faulty, to my knowledge. If someone can cite a source for such a conclusion, I would like to see it.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The California Condor is a sacred cow, the bird has been on the road to extinction for the last 1000 years if not longer. The environs were it lives has changed. The only reason its around is the massive amounts of money being spent on it. I don't think they even breed in the wild, or if they do, the eggs are taken and put in a lab. Its like the Atlantic Salmon Restoration Project, it CT. It's a black hole money wise, great for a brown trout angler like myself, because the big browns feed heavy on the smolts and a 10 or 8 olive Zonker works well in the fall. Very few salmon return for the numbers of smolts released. They guy that started it liked fishing Atlantic Salmon in Canada and they though they could reestablish the runs. On problem the race of fish that came this far south do not exist anymore and have not since before the Civil War. But they continue to spend the money on it, going on 40 years now. They would have done better with the Sea run Brown Trout, they stopped working on that because of money, back in the early 70's Salmon was sucking it up. They have fish(Sea Run Brown's) returning every year. Gee's we could have had winter trout fishing that people from all over would travel to the area just to fish. Oh well Atlantic Salmon like the Condor are sacred cows and well money be dammed, and you will have to give up your bullets too, because we say so, never mind it very well be junk science too. And hunters being the good guys they are in general will go along with it. We did with waterfowl. Its all BS.

Last edited by gmsemel; 03/12/10.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HaYen, did you get my last PM? Again, your looking in to this is much appreciated. Tom

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pete E
Considering how long lead ammo has been in use in the USA, and when you think about the amount of deer guts that haven been left around the place, how come Condors have no become extinct long ago?

it is a question of the liberal left creating problems that don't exist, so that they can sell their leftist agenda to " change the world"...

other examples are the spotted owl 'extinction' panic, so they could block logging in the Pacific NW...

right along with Al Gore's Global Warming Scam....

No what needs to be extinct are liberals...we have way too many of them..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by rifletom
HaYen, did you get my last PM? Again, your looking in to this is much appreciated. Tom

You're welcome. I haven't been able to check my PM's on a regular basis.

Have a great day!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The enviro-wackos will take any hint of a lead bullet problem and run with it. You can post all the studies to "document" a problem but who should really believe it? The climategate hoax has shown to what length these drones are willing to go to further their goal. Data has been altered, deleted and created to "prove" man made global warming, climate change or whatever name they choose to call it.

By the way, venison was thrown out by order of the MN. Dept. of Health. They ordered the remaining 12,000 pounds thrown out in 2008.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/13/10.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
North Dakota threw out a boatload of venison last year also. Ridiculous!

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
UPDATE

Glad to hear some correct information is getting out there. I can't
respond to blogs and such, but I don't mind you saying that you got your
facts from me. I would prefer that people call me and ask for the
correct information rather than spread rumors and misinformation.
Thanks for supporting our voluntary efforts!

Regarding the ban in CA - there is conflicting reports on its
effectiveness. An in-field survey of hunters by CA Fish and Game
reported a 99% compliance rate. Folks I work with that talk to hunters
and ranchers on a daily basis suspect the compliance rate is more like
70% though. Since most people answer "yes" when law enforcement asks if
they are obeying the law, it's likely the reported 99% compliance is
higher than the actual compliance rate. Non-lead rifle bullets often
look identical to copper-jacketed lead bullets - so field checks aren't
easy (not like using a magnet to check lead vs. steel shot). Reports
have shown a slight decrease in lead exposure rates since the ban, but
two condors have died of lead poisoning since the ban. Similar to our
voluntary efforts, the success of the ban really depends on education
and cooperation. I will be meeting with the CA folks in a couple weeks
to get a full update on the lead situation. We all want the same
outcome, just going about it in different ways.

Kathy

Kathy Sullivan Condor Program Coordinator Arizona Game and Fish
Department
3500 S Lake Mary Rd. Flagstaff, AZ 86001 ph: 928-214-1249

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 219DW, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,080
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.