Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
McCake Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Decisions, decisions.

Not sure if this has been recently hashed, but looking for preferences/ dislikes on either/ both.

Have a VariX III, VX III, and Zeiss Victory binos, so I'm somewhat familiar with both products.

Thanks for any opinions.

caint make cake outta [bleep]
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
wow do a search.....this has been hit 400 times

the leupy is lighter, has a better eye relief usually

the zeiss is bigger, heavier with a bolder style duplex reticle

the 3-9x40 conquest is my favorite and can be had for 369 new

the 3.5-10x40 VX3 is around 100$ more

bot hhave lifetime transferable warranty

the leupold has more custom options

what do you need it for?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just mounted a Conquest 3x9.... I still prefer the VX3 3.5x10...that said either is a good choice

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This looks interesting, don't think I've seen a Conquest/VX3 thread before lol

Oh wait, yes I have. Many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times recently. Just look beyond the first page and you'll find a few of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DAMARA
wow do a search.....this has been hit 400 times

the leupy is lighter, has a better eye relief usually

the zeiss is bigger, heavier with a bolder style duplex reticle

the 3-9x40 conquest is my favorite and can be had for 369 new

the 3.5-10x40 VX3 is around 100$ more

bot hhave lifetime transferable warranty

the leupold has more custom options

what do you need it for?

I concur, except you forsgot to add that the Conquest has better glass.

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
When compared to the VX3, under low light conditions, they resolve the same.
The standard reticles for them are equally heavy/bold or sharp. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Conquest also has more or less constant eye relief. You'll really notice this at full power settings.

If money matters, in my opinion at $369 from Doug the 3-9 Conquest is a clear (groan) winner in the value department. It's a heck of a scope.

The points of seperation I see are:

-the Leup is about an inch shorter, and a couple ounces lighter;

-the Leup has that awesome looong eye relief (ER) and huge eye box at low power settings;

-the Conq has much better ER at full power;

-the Conq adjustments track very, very well;

-the stock turrets on the Conq are completely usable as a low-profile turret. The stock Leup turret, not so much. But the Leup has the CDS available.

-the Leup has "bling" with the wide gold (oooh... gold) ring and gold medallion and nicer box and blankie and printed materials. Then again, guess who's paying for all that?

I've been forced by the economy to be price-concious lately and because of that, along with the excellent glass and tracking, my last 5 scopes have been Conquests. I wouldn't change a thing. Very pleased. That said on my lightweight rifles Leupold rules the day.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
When compared to the VX3, under low light conditions, they resolve the same.
The standard reticles for them are equally heavy/bold or sharp. E

I'll repeat my orginal statement....The Conquest has better glass!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The 3.5-10X44 Conquest has shorter eye relief and a much smaller set of eye boxes than the VX3, 3.5-10X40. The 3-9X40 has more eye relief than the above VX3, but have half the eye box at 3.5X and 6X.
Let's not forget the super hard coatings on the VX3. Well worth the extra money for them. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dunno about the coatings. I only touch my lenses very rarely, as in every couple years usually, and then only with the proper fluids and optical cleaning tissues etc.

The eye box of a 3-9 Conquest is indeed smaller than a Leupold. What isn't? The Leupold eye box is massive- at low powers. But you pay for that. At high powers, the 3-9 Conq kills the Leup.

The 3.5-10 Conq is one of their 3.5" ER models. I had one. Great scope, but on a long action M700, I wanted more ER. So far I can't find one thing the 3.5-10 would do that I cannot do with a 3-9, however.

It takes a 3.5-10 VX3 with a CDS at $500 to match the functionality of a 3-9 Conquest at $369. Might not matter to some, but me, that's $130 I can put to good use funding this expensive hobby in other ways- powder, bullets, etc.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad the loopy has hard lens coatings as I clean all my lenses with gravel.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
what do you mean by "eye boxes"?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Eye box is, I think, loosely defined as the size of the visual sweet spot behind the scope. How forgiving the scope is of head position etc.

Damn that sucks! smile Maybe someone else will give you a better definition.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The 3.5-10X44 Conquest has shorter eye relief and a much smaller set of eye boxes than the VX3, 3.5-10X40. The 3-9X40 has more eye relief than the above VX3, but have half the eye box at 3.5X and 6X.
Let's not forget the super hard coatings on the VX3. Well worth the extra money for them. E

What proof do you have to support your claim that the Leupy coatings are harder than the Conquest coatings?

Is it because the Leupy "Diamond Coat" is made from real "Diamonds?"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They are a first class scope. They feature coatings made from diamonds, which are ten times harder than other coating compounds. This means the light transmitting ability, and image quality of the scope, will not degrade from tiny scratches on the lenses, that occur even with the best of care, at anything like the rate of other scopes.

Originally Posted by dave7mm
Its not so much what he says.Its the way he says it.
dave

Originally Posted by stubblejumper

That is the major point here.Everyone has an opinion ,and they do often conflict.However,most people here have actually used all of the products that are being discussed,and base their opinions on their personal experience.On the other hand a certain person here,has not used all of the products,and bases his opinion totally on another persons opinion or what that person has written in a book.When the majority of the people here find that one product appears superior in some way to his personal favorite,that certain person accuses the rest of the people of not knowing how to focus a riflescope.If a question is asked as to how a certain company tests it's products,most people will accept the word of a representative of that company as being the truth.However,a certain person here states openly that the company representative is lying,because some writer has written something that contradicts the company representative. When proven wrong,most people here will accept the facts and admit that they were wrong,while that certain individual will never admit being wrong reguardless of the evidence presented against him.
So all in all it come down to that individuals personality and the attitude that he conveys,more than what he actually says.

Originally Posted by muledeer

Eremicus,
A Schmidt & Bender that didn't resolve any better than a 6x Leupold? Maybe you just don't know how to focus an S&B.

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
At $369 the Conquest is a no brainer. Great glass, etched reticle, very tough.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
At $369 the Conquest is a no brainer. Great glass, etched reticle, very tough.

Actually $369 is for a USED SCOPE demo scope...

Not the same as brand new.

Let's compare apples to appples when talking about cost vs quality here.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've bought a couple of Doug's demo scopes. You can't tell they are not brand new. There are no signs of use or handling whatsoever. If you order a demo and brand new Conquest from Doug at the same time you won't be able to tell which is which. They include the warranty card so for arguments sake they are new.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
i have seen both, like both, but for the money i would go with the zeiss cuz its cheaper

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Does not matter..

New is NEW..

Used is used..

Period.

My point is be FAIR in the comparison.

I think it is funny how the Zeiss fans bring up the $369 USED scopes to compare them to a NEW VX3 Leupold at $400+

Last edited by jim62; 03/13/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,686
Posts18,475,107
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.