Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good morning,

prompted by the discussions around the 'best 4x riflescope' thread I have done a field trial with documentation this morning.

I looked for the practical side of price and gain in the hunting field as far as optical performance goes.

Question:

Is a low price scope a detriment; is a high price scope an asset?

The following is taken as read and agreed upon:

All scopes considered are mechanically sound - but need NOT withstand 'dialing'.

Scopes used:

Zeiss Diavari *T 2,5-10x48 set to 4,75x (as high end as I had) sold for arouns 1200 $

Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40 sold for 120 $

[Linked Image]

Reference was a Zeiss Victory 8x44

[Linked Image]

Methods:

I went out in pitch dark and set up a standard german roebuck target.

[img]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj358/mar1895/Optics%20test/Neu_559target.jpg [/img]

Distance was 80 meters.

I went through the following routine:

1) Look through binos - record times and visual
2) Look through scopes record times and visual
3) take picture from car roof for darkness reference
4 take picture through scopes, if possible

Proceedings

5:16 am:

Setup:

[Linked Image]

Visual:

[Linked Image]

Target idetification not possible.
Shooting not possible with either scope.

5:39 am:

Visual
[Linked Image]

Binos show outline of target paper and dimmly features.

Reticles on scope show up.

Target idetification not possible.
Shooting not possible with either scope.

5:52 am:

Visual:
[Linked Image]

Zeiss
[img]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj358/mar1895/Optics%20test/Neu_556zeiss.jpg[/img]

Weaver
[img]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj358/mar1895/Optics%20test/Neu_557weaver.jpg[/img]

Target idetification possible with binos.
Shoots not possible with either scope.

(Light is far good enough already with both scopes for real life hunting at this point.)

Last edited by cmg; 03/14/10. Reason: troubleshooting pics...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

GB1

Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
continued:

6:03 am

Zeiss
[Linked Image]

Weaver
[Linked Image]

Getting close - with both scopes.

6:11 am

Shots judged possible - through both scopes.

6:29 am (full light)

Zeiss
[Linked Image]

Weaver
[Linked Image]

Binos
[Linked Image]

Test documentation:

front
[Linked Image]

back
[img]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj358/mar1895/Optics%20test/Neu_IMGP2340.jpg[/img]

Results II:

The larger, heavier, more expensive Zeiss does NOT offer any in practice detectable advantage over the Weaver when used at the same power level.

Discussion:

This is a practical evaluation. A scientific approach might show differences this test could not detect.

A side by side video through the scopes viewed closed captioned might show a minute (pun intended) advantage of the Zeiss.

I let everyone draw there on conclusions - if I set out at all to show something, then this:

The guy with the 'lowly' scope is not neccesarily the optical loser, that needs to be shown the light.

He just might only be a hunter - contend with a working tool and happy if that does not cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited by cmg; 03/14/10. Reason: troubleshooting pics...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very informative CMG.

I could actually see the target better at 5:52 with the Weaver vs. The Zeiss.

However, there were a couple of things I noticed:

It does appear that the Zeiss is set on a higher power than the Weaver when the 5:52 photos were taken, or you could have been standing a little closer to the target when the Zeiss photo was made. In noticed 2 small patches of snow on the right in the Weaver photo, only one is visible in the Zeiss pic.

The ground also appears brighter in the Weaver photo. I know when it starts to get light on a clear day it happens quickly, but it appears this photo was taken in slightly brighter conditions, probably while you were switching equipment.

Thanks for conducting the test and posting the results.

Best,

JM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by cmg

I let everyone draw there on conclusions - if I set out at all to show something, then this:

The guy with the 'lowly' scope is not neccesarily the optical loser, that needs to be shown the light.

He just might only be a hunter - contend with a working tool and happy if that does not cost an arm and a leg.

No.

The guy with the cheap scope IS a loser!

I mean, duh....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
JM,

thanks. I think the offset is an angle thing. i had the rifle on one side of the hood and the scope on the other. In general I stood at the same spot, but in the pics it looks like I did not that time.

On the brightness - it may be as you say. It also probably factors in that I used a cheap camera with both rifle/scope and camera held off hand.

As I said, not a scietific test, just a quick try to put into pictures what I see out there.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You would have been fine for a shot with at 0539 with an S&B, just saying....

No surprises and thanks for your time and effort.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
differences i see are reticle size and color, neither of which would have mattered towards success

the best part about this test was that it was done in germany ... LOL

im sure my leupold would have been fine

Last edited by Son_of_the_South; 03/14/10.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the effort. The resolution/clarity so often touted in higher end optics has never been anything that would be a game changer in the field,IME. A large forgiving eye box is one of the most important things to me. Durability as well.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A fine and practical post, cmg, and one that's much appreciated. And that's all I have to say about that.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The test certainly makes one wonder about the wisdom of dropping an extra grand on a scope in hopes of gaining a few minutes more of shooting light.

JM

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

There is more to this than darkness, when looking into the shadows with overcast skies there is a major difference.
It takes more than a day to appreciate the difference IMHO and expereince

It is up to each individual as to whether or not this is important to them. The older I have gotten the more important it has become for me

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice write up, thanks for doing that. The big difference I notice is I like the Recticle the Zeiss has better. Other than that the two scopes seem to perform more alike than different. I'm in the market for a new scope and this sure makes one think about that $$ difference.

Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

There is more to this than darkness, when looking into the shadows with overcast skies there is a major difference.

It is up to each individual as to whether or not this is important to them. The older I have gotten the more important it has become for me

I respect your opinion.

Please try to appreatiate the fact that I spent my every workday hunting or hunting related.

A lot more time than this one day have gone into this none the less very subjective opinion.

For scale - the 2009/2010 hunting year saw me over 160 field days between May 09 and Jan. 10. Start in May with Roebucks through Red deer and Fallow deer, Dall Sheep in AK into the chase hunt season over the winter.

I am sorry if this sounds like chest banging. That is not my point.

But I do strain of attitudes like - spent some more time, you will come around.

Steelhead,

I recognize you were speaking tongue in cheek. At 5:39 I very much doubt a S&B 4x would have done a number on the Zeiss.

With post I intend to end my input into this discussion between pragmatism and perfectionism in hunting optics selection - this seeminly to be the core difference.

Last edited by cmg; 03/14/10. Reason: fixed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great test and thanks for posting. Looks like the little 6x Weaver I have on order should do just fine.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by jwp475

I respect your opinion.

Please try to appreatiate the fact that I spent my every workday hunting or hunting related.

A lot more time than this one day have gone into this none the less very subjective opinion.

For scale - the 2009/2010 hunting year saw me over 160 field days between May 09 and Jan. 10. Start in May with Roebucks through Red deer and Fallow deer, Dall Sheep in AK into the chase hunt season over the winter.

I am sorry if this sounds like chest banging. That is not my point.

But I do strain of attitudes like - spent some more time, you will come around.

Steelhead,

I recognize you were speaking tongue in cheek. At 5:39 I very much doubt a S&B 4x would have done a number on the Zeiss.

I strain with attitudes that make fast assumption and/or conclusions.

I know it takes me a bit of field time to fully appreciate the difference. I have spent a lot of time afield as well and over 50 years and my opinion is not made up lightly or fast. Since I am 59 and I started hunting with my grandfather at the age of 8

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
JWP,

and your conclusion of your experience is a 'perfectionists' approach.

My conclusion of my experience is a 'pragmatists' approach.

I content with letting it stand as such. I hope you can, too.

I do not want to strain anybody.

Best wishes.

Carl

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I appreciate the fact that you made a comparison, no aguement there..

There are good facts in both camps no arguement there

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cmg
JWP,

and your conclusion of your experience is a 'perfectionists' approach.

My conclusion of my experience is a 'pragmatists' approach.

I content with letting it stand as such. I hope you can, too.

I do not want to strain anybody.

Best wishes.

Carl

Carl,

Thanks for the comparison pics.

And the great amount of common sense in your opinions.

All the more interssting to me ,coming from Germany itself.

Very illuminating.. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The simple fact is both will do the job. The real question: Is the Zeiss 10 times better than the Weaver. Hell, is it twice better. Is it 10 times tougher? What?
Other than ego stroking, what about the Zeiss is worth 10 times the worth of a Weaver?
I am not a Weaver champion but the first new rifle I bought was a Model 700 in 30-06. I put an El Paso K4 on it. I still own that rifle and, even tho I haven't shot it for a while, I can take it out of the safe and go hunting with it w/o checking the zero.

Aim for the exit hole.
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The forum seems to stand united in their believe of absence of any common sense from Germany.

Something I might have to take for discussion to the Euro forum... smile

Thanks for the kind words.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.