Hop To
#3899280 03/15/10
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Anybody use these scopes? Ive found a few and am considering picking them up. How functional are they in the field compared to todays variable powers?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Are these the newer Classic K6 (japan made)? If so they are very good scopes for the $$$.

Some on here have more experience with the Weaver than me, so hopefully they will chime in.

Fixed 6x's are very functional in the field.

Bill

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thats my plan, im looking at both new and old. Im building a tough mountain style rifle and want an affordable lightweight tough scope.

Last edited by podunkkennels; 03/15/10.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The newer Weaver only weighs about 10 oz. so your headed down the right path. A lightweight fixed 6 is a perfect mountain rifle scope.

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny, just had one show up from Natchez today. $129. As was mentioned, only 10 ounces and initial impression is very nice. Going on a new Model 7 in 243 so will know more in a few weeks.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The older US made ones have steel tubes and have a reputation for "toughness." I use a couple of them but I'm not sure I'd use one on a mountain rifle as I understand that they weren't sealed as well as new scopes and might fog up. When the weather turns nasty here I drag out the 6x Leupold.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Im looking at both old steel tubes and new aluminum both. Do you have experience with the new ones?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have them on three rimfires and a spare. Seem to work wellon .22s but I have not tried any on a center fire.
Allan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had two of these scopes bought new. The first wouldn't sight in properly as adjusting the turrets resulted in no movement of the POI. I tried tapping the turrets but still no success. Then the POI would change big time and go too far. Adjusting the turrets back again resulted in the POI sticking again. I take it the reticle was sticking. Sent it back and got it replaced and the second one was ok but I was a bit peed off by then so replaced it with a 6x36 Leupold.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one on a 22 RF rifle, and then sold it.
The cross hairs are too fine for me. On cloudy days, I had a tough time seeing them in the woods.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Im looking at both old steel tubes and new aluminum both. Do you have experience with the new ones?

'Fraid not, just the US made ones - but I'm certain that sealing technology has progressed substantially in the last 25 or 30 years. When it starts raining or snowing I leave the wood stocked and Weaver scoped rifles at home and tote the plastic stocked and Leupold scoped one into the woods.

A lot of people who post regularly here and who seem to have a brain have very high regards for the new Weavers, try doing a search there will be many results.

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 03/16/10.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had an older K6 that wasn't a steel tube that came on a rifle. I gave it to someone for use on a 30-06. Optics not equal to better scopes, but it has held zero so far.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have three of the newer Weaver 6x38mm K-6 scopes, one on a .260, one on a .22 Magnum and one on a .22 LR. I have also used them on muzzleloaders and an AR-15. I like them very much and have never had a problem with them. The one on the .22 Magnum has been knocked around a lot in the truck and has always held zero.

I also have a newer K 2.5 that has been on a .358 and a .458 and have had a couple of K-4's and they have been nice scopes as well.

Mine track very well, have excellent image quality and are very bright. I have a Leupold 6x36mm on a .308 and the Weavers are just as bright, if not more so.

They are great scopes, especially considering the price.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Simply- best scope deal on the market for years. My opinion.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I dont have a K6 but I do use a K4 on a Marlin 30-30.I am not really rough on guns and scopes however I am the old guy with two or three coats and a couple pair of boots in the front of his pickup.Gun gets pitched in with everything else.I have not broken it yet.I am not really careful either.Its a tool.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks for all the info fellas, im waiting on mine to get here then ill get to test it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The older K4 and K6 steeltubes were the "jeeps" of the scope world, tougher than sh*t and worked Russ

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Im not gonna try to beat the shizz out of this one but im sure itll take some kinda abuse in the course of its duty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know they can get bent if you drop them from a vehicle while traveling 40 mph across sea ice. blush Weaver replaced the one I ruined a dozen years ago or so - and I was straight with them. (I sent it back requesting that they straighten the tube enough that I could adjust it properly again; and I was willing to pay for function, no cosmetic concerns.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.