Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dad has a 336 and was looking at scopes. I figured something like a Weaver 4x would be the ticket and put a bid on one. Does anyone know where I can get the best deal on a set of rings and mounts for this? Any preferred -if, so why? I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible but don't want something that is suspect. I want him to be confident as this is his "grab" gun that may see a lot of truck time.

GB1

S
S
Try Dicks Sporting Goods if you have one or any Walmart. Weaver is the most common and plenty good. Rings will come in different hights to keep the scope just high enough to clear the receiver and rear sight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Leupold Rifleman or Weaver base and rings are probably your best bet for value and most every sporting goods or big box store carries them for the Marlin. The base for either usually runs about $8-$10. The Leupold rifleman rings ware probably about $5 or so cheaper than the steel Weaver rings, which usually run around $20-$22 depending on which store you got to. JMHO but the Rifleman rings look kind of clunky while Weaver rings are pretty sleek.

You might find Millet or Burris bases and rings but I don't think you'll get a much lower price than the two above. If you haunt the gun shows a used Weaver 63B base and used rings are pretty ubiquitous. (that word costs more than used rings. wink )

My 1955 vintage 336 came used with a Weaver 3X scope from the 60's, mounted in the old style Weaver "big knob" rings. That scope and mount are still rock solid after 40 years of use.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a one piece base from Leupold, tad bit more money but looks infinitely better than the Weaver one piece, and very strong. Then any brand of single dovetail rings will work...although I definitely prefer Burris Signatures.

Have a Bushnell Elite 3x10x40 Compact set up, with that base and Burris medium rings, it cleared the ramp sight no problem. And I find that I don't need an extension on the hammer with this set up, which is great because they're a pain in the unowhat, IMHO.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sir_springer; 03/03/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the one piece Weaver base because it mounts low and has no protrusions. However, I prefer the Burris Z ring as it looks much nicer than the classic aluminum-steel/side-screw Weaver rings. The Z is designed to fit a Weaver base. These are Medium height rings, the low would fit, but the hammer/scope eyepiece fit is too close for my preference with the low mount Z rings. I apologize for the dark pictures - cannot seem to get a lighter one that is focused.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is another levergun, but a M88 - however you can see how the base/ring combo looks. This one uses a Weaver aluminum one-piece base and Weaver Grand Slam windage adjustable rings. This combo gives a nice low mount as well as the combo above. I like the way the Weaver bases hug the top of the rifles receiver.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used the traditional windage bases too, this is another M88 levergun that has the old Redfield one piece base and rings on it. The same base and rings are available today under the Weaver Grand Slam brand and, as mentioned above, Leupold offers their version as well. All of these systems have held up for me over the years; anyone of them will work fine for you.

[Linked Image]

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Weaver Tip-Off style rings & bases are much stronger and allow the scope to be mounted much lower. Walmart & Bass Pro have them cheap.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had a Leupold 2.5X Alaskan on my .336 30-30 with Talley QD rings and bases..I sold the gun but still have the scope as they are hard to come by and cost a bundle if you can even find one. Nice thing about them is they have the centered cross hair and a duplex..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.