Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't know, but if Redneck doesn't find fault in someone building a disfunctional rifle, and chalks it up to human error, then I cannot say he is marketing himself very well either.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I don't know, but if Redneck doesn't find fault in someone building a disfunctional rifle, and chalks it up to human error, then I cannot say he is marketing himself very well either.
Your words, not mine - don't put words in my posts...

Last edited by Redneck; 03/19/10.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
last perfect person they nailed to a cross some years ago.....
Yeah, I wonder if DC got the scars removed..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
last perfect person they nailed to a cross some years ago.....
Yeah, I wonder if DC got the scars removed.. laugh laugh

Originally Posted by Popapi
you are a gunsmith right?.
Yes..

Folk get on here(24Hour) looking for advice on different things. Said that to say this. You had replyed something to the matter of liking the 264 WinMag and/or it was one of your favorites to build or to shoot. I had replyed that I was in the process of getting ready to build one(264WinMag), afterwards I received a pm from a individual asking who was I going to get to do my custom build, because he had read your post and mine. I told him, and he mention what did I know about you(Redneck) as per building 6.5 caliber rifles preferable the 264WinMag. I stated I read posts here guys stating you do good work, and that I have NO IDEA as to any knowledge of your builds.
I've been a full-time smith for nearly 13 years - ten of which have been more dedicated to specializing in Winch M70 builds.. My first big-game rifle was (well, is..) a M70 in .264WM.. I've built a couple .264WMs and other calibers/chamberings from .204R to .416R..

As to my statement above, voice your opinion or be frank as to what one say, being in the business(Gunsmith) your in the folk that don't know you would atleast get an idea of what type of person/smith you are.
From the ensuing diatribe from DC, I just should have kept my mouth shut.. But M. Coleman has been building rifles a long time and has a steady clientele. Yet, one admission of a failure caused DC to go off on a rant that indicated by his posts that he cannot tolerate a single mistake - ever... If he's looking for pure perfection in everything in life he's going to be miserably disappointed..

If you wish to discuss a build never hesitate to send me a pm.. I've done work for probably close to a hundred members of the 'fire..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
and he'll do work with more of them, me included when I get my funds sorted out....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The thing that scares me the most about gunsmiths is that some of them disappear with the guns in their shop. Twice, I've had guns worked on by a smith that disappeared. I was very lucky, the work was done well and I picked up my guns just before they disappeared. The police tried to find them without success. I know a few guys that never did get their guns back.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I think Mr. Coleman's candid response is to be commended. I have never had him build something but his response - together with an obvious large number of very happy clients - would make me very comfortable to build.

My profession is one with the lawyers circling waiting for a mistake, so I might be a little sensitive to the imperfect nature of all us - a mistake is always lurking around the corner. It is to bad that our society wants to find someone to blame for everything - it makes is hard to say "I goofed". This typically brings in the vultures.

By the way - Redneck is a great guy and a great smith.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks for your reply pm sent.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
and he'll do work with more of them, me included when I get my funds sorted out....

+1

Lee's got my bottom metal, the stock is on order, and as soon as I see a touch more daylight he'll have my action, some money, and a directive to order the barrel for my .264WM build. Started this a few weeks ago and put it on hold for fear of work disappearing for a while. Think maybe, just maybe, we could be seeing a slight upswing. Hope that doesn't jinx it.

Bottom line, Redneck, Mickey, Jim Kobe, Eddie F... they could all do work for me in the future. I hope I have opportunity to work with them all.

David

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
DC to go off on a rant that indicated by his posts that he cannot tolerate a single mistake - ever... If he's looking for pure perfection in everything in life he's going to be miserably disappointed..

I expect perfection in a custom rifle. If it doesn't function, it isn't a mistake, it is a failure. Might as well use it to hold up tomatoes.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DC to go off on a rant that indicated by his posts that he cannot tolerate a single mistake - ever... If he's looking for pure perfection in everything in life he's going to be miserably disappointed..

I expect perfection in a custom rifle. If it doesn't function, it isn't a mistake, it is a failure. Might as well use it to hold up tomatoes.

So does everybody else when they order a custom rifle.

The difference is that sometimes it doesn't work out that way and when it doesn't you have a right to be angry. Nobody is saying anything different.

But mistakes are made by everybody in every line of work.
Mickey manned up and admitted he screwed up this one rather than lawyering up or making excuses.
That honesty and integrity counts for something in most peoples book.
Looking at the entire body of Mr. Colemans work we find that his track record is almost universally satisfactory.
Folks here have seen both the mistake and the admission of guilt, and most have concluded that Mr. Coleman is an accomplished gunsmith as well as a man of great integrity.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I can't disagree with that, but perfection isn't something one can just assume. If I read the story right, it sounds to me like the mistake made was sending the rifle out without test firing first.

Exact same mistake the customer made, I might add.

So, sending an untested rifle to a customer, or taking an untested rifle into the field?

Hard to say which one shows the greatest lapse in judgement.

Sometimes the simplest things can cause the greatest cluster when not double checked.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hats off to Mickey....tons of respect for admitting fault.

ANY time you are talking high performance stuff mistakes can and WILL happen....it's those that can admit it and fix it that seperate the men from the boys.

And above all else....if its got tires, wires, boobs, or shoots....sooner or later there's gonna be some trouble.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A bolt gun is high performance?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There are only 2 kind of people that don't make mistakes.

A) Liars
B) People that do nothing

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
There are only 2 kind of people that don't make mistakes.

A) Liars
B) People that do nothing

yep

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
A bolt gun is high performance?

The salesman at Gander Mountain told me my rifle is a "High Performance" model.

Last edited by slg888; 03/20/10.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by TopCat

I can't disagree with that, but perfection isn't something one can just assume. If I read the story right, it sounds to me like the mistake made was sending the rifle out without test firing first.

Exact same mistake the customer made, I might add.

So, sending an untested rifle to a customer, or taking an untested rifle into the field?

Hard to say which one shows the greatest lapse in judgement.

Sometimes the simplest things can cause the greatest cluster when not double checked.

TC
The rifle was tested(shot) before going out when I shoot from a bench IE: zeroing, load developement etc. I don't put ammo. in the magazine I load one by one. Your right I should have tested the magazine upon receiving or while shooting at the bench, actually it should have been a no brainer being that upon receiving the rifle it was NOT fluted as stated on build sheet, stock was cut to short, ADL trigger guard was bent in and stock scratched due to being shipped in a card board box with bubble wrap. As per perfection I expect it to as well ESPECIALLY for a 3200.00 build.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Marcus; You have a right to be upset if the rifle was not built the way you ordered it. I'd be upset if that happened to me, too. But I'd have looked beyond my own personal tragedy, at the guy's reputation, before I implied on this forum that he does lousy work because that takes into consideration alot more rifles than just yours. It does appear that your rifle is an exception rather than the rule, as far as the quality of work Mickey does.
As far as the bent and scratched parts from shipping, next time do what I did with a build from Redneck: Order a $130 SKB hard rifle case and have it drop shipped to the gunsmith. He can use it to ship your rifle to you and you're personally ensuring the safe arrival of your rifle.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Marcus; You have a right to be upset if the rifle was not built the way you ordered it. I'd be upset if that happened to me, too. But I'd have looked beyond my own personal tragedy, at the guy's reputation, before I implied on this forum that he does lousy work because that takes into consideration alot more rifles than just yours. It does appear that your rifle is an exception rather than the rule, as far as the quality of work Mickey does.
As far as the bent and scratched parts from shipping, next time do what I did with a build from Redneck: Order a $130 SKB hard rifle case and have it drop shipped to the gunsmith. He can use it to ship your rifle to you and you're personally ensuring the safe arrival of your rifle.

If Marcus was out $3200.00 and was forced to pay additional $$$ for another builder to fix it properly, then a labor refund should be returned.

You have your truck engine rebuilt, and the mechanic realizes he cannot build it properly, should he keep your money? I know chit happens sometimes, but never give up unless you give up what the customer gave you.

Last edited by slg888; 03/20/10.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.