Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by tkinak
Hopefully this one will keep me from loosing another knife skinning moose!!! Bill Levengood Big game Hunter S30V

[Linked Image]

Yep, I like that ALOT cool

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I really liked the hand made knives. nice work guys

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"hclark: did they do the checkering on that Model 7 ?? Also just noticed in your pic of the Randall fishing knife...is that a Heiser Sheath??"

ingwe,
I did the checkering on the ebony handle. Yep the "fishing knife" is an early 50's 7-5 with pinned ivory handle and brown button Heiser sheath, (very collectable!!!) smile

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
E
E
Most of the forums I frequent I notice a lot of crap knives being used. NOT THE CASE HERE!!! Beutiful functional knives guys.

I use a Bark River Woodland Special, just got a dexter russell vegetable utility knife that is like a scalpel. Its a lighter substitute to the very stout little woodland. Had an old carbon sharpfinger too for a while that I gave to a friend.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
[quote=EvanB]Most of the forums I frequent I notice a lot of crap knives being used. NOT THE CASE HERE!!! Beutiful functional knives guys.

Beauty is in the eye of the holder,my go to knife is a modded wenger filleting knife with bright yellow handle, its the "best" knife I own and I have a few customs of high ecclaim

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hclark

ingwe,
I did the checkering on the ebony handle. Yep the "fishing knife" is an early 50's 7-5 with pinned ivory handle and brown button Heiser sheath, (very collectable!!!) smile

Veddy cool

Bo himself tracked me down and sold me my Model 7 while I was in College in 1972....he had a four year wait at the time and a couple of knives people had ordered and couldnt pay off, so he told me he'd finish one up for me and have it to me in two weeks....SOLD!! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by UKdave
Originally Posted by tkinak
Hopefully this one will keep me from loosing another knife skinning moose!!! Bill Levengood Big game Hunter S30V

[Linked Image]

Yep, I like that ALOT cool

Me too. My next knife is gettin' the blaze orange micarta for sure.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A rather incriminating photo of myself and my Randall. (It's on the deck)
[Linked Image]

A closer look:
[Linked Image]

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pretty sweet Travis..... cool

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks.

It'll be sweeter after about 30 more years though. I love pics of the hard used Randalls.

My son and I have the same initials and I had them put on the blade. So when dad kicks the bucket it'll be a smooth transition to the new owner... grin

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good move...I just had the family name put on mine...same kinda reasoning, and though theres no Junior...theres cousins... grin

Ingwe

Last edited by ingwe; 03/19/10.

E
E
Originally Posted by UKdave

Beauty is in the eye of the holder,my go to knife is a modded wenger filleting knife with bright yellow handle, its the "best" knife I own and I have a few customs of high ecclaim

I know what you mean, cheap doesnt neccesarily mean bad performance. My forschner 5" boning knife and small dexter russell vegetable utility knife (both pictured) work as good (for game processing) as any custom knife. And they're only 20 and 10$ respectively. I'm just pointing out that a lot of the hunting boards I go on theres little to no talk about quality cutlery, and when there is, theres too much chatter about crap gerbers, guthooks or some 440A tactical knife. You know what I mean?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by EvanB; 03/19/10.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Great stuffs gang....I'm diggin'it!!!!!!!! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not "field dressing knives", but here's more Randalls:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some model 4's:
[Linked Image]

And a few model 7's:
[Linked Image]

And Ivories;
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This was my first custom knife. I bought it from Dan Koster (kosterknives.com), and I think it�s called a mini nessmuk. I knew it was small when I bought it, but it looked handy and the pouch sheath looked cool. I've used it to skin a few bears and it's a normal fixture on by belt when I'm out camping. It's a good little skinner, and small enough I forget it's there sometimes. I've got a bigger one on order through him now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Luck favors the prepared.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't have any pictures, but mine are nothing fancy, you can find their pictures all over the place.

Most of my cutting is done with Gerber LSTs in various sizes. They're light, hold a reasonable edge, and are cheap enough if I lose one, it doesn't bother me. I usually carry one "magnum" LST, 1-2 of the next size down, and one teeny one.

If I need anything bigger, these days I go with a rubber handled Buck Vanguard.

In years past I used a non saw-back Gerber LST. Awesome knife, love the grip, but it's just heavier than I need to lug around. Before that I had a Buck General that I'd worked over a lot to flatten out the "cheek" on the blade. It was a big friggin' razor. I skinned a lot of stuff with it, did "inside" work on game just because know-it-alls said I couldn't .. etc. Lighter than the shorter Gerber. Mostly I set it aside because the handle on it gets real slick when I have critter blood and fat on my hands.

I think the coolest / most creative "field dressing knife" I ever saw was a fired '06 case my dad pounded flat with rocks when he realized he had a buck down and left his knife home.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If we are going to show off our best knives, then I have one that I am very proud to own - a Randall #1 combat knife. This knife was presented to me by the Officers and Soldiers of the 30 CSG and it's four battalions, which I was privileged to command from FEB 2000 through NOV 2003 (to include a deployment to OIF in 2003). The knife was presented to me when I rotated out of command - I have never used it, but I guess I should - it has my name and unit engraved in the blade but you can't see it in this picture. I have kept it unblemished as a personal heirloom.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Thanks.

It'll be sweeter after about 30 more years though. I love pics of the hard used Randalls.

My son and I have the same initials and I had them put on the blade. So when dad kicks the bucket it'll be a smooth transition to the new owner... grin

Travis

Travis,
Here's a "hard used Randall" model 3-7 that I sent back to the Randall shop to be restored, I think they did a pretty good job!!! Before and after pics;

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dbuilder01
I really liked the hand made knives. nice work guys

The "creme de la creme" R. W. Loveless Semiskinner & Colt Army Special 32-20;
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Odessa
If we are going to show off our best knives, then I have one that I am very proud to own - a Randall #1 combat knife. This knife was presented to me by the Officers and Soldiers of the 30 CSG and it's four battalions, which I was privileged to command from FEB 2000 through NOV 2003 (to include a deployment to OIF in 2003). The knife was presented to me when I rotated out of command -

[Linked Image]

Odessa...THAT is frickin COOL! cool

What a gift! Says alot about how your men felt about you....you should be very, very proud...

Ingwe

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (1936M71, 257 mag, 160user, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 21, 27 invisible), 12,487 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,165
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.