Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I dont know why but recently i have been wanting a 30-06. I have custom wildcats, 300wsm, a couple 270s and smaller but i kind of want a "classic" caliber that i dont have. Doesnt hurt that it is reasonably cheap to just go out and plink with at rocks and whatever else. Through work i can proform items. This means that i can get one item a year from certain companies for half of retail. So basically i could get a Winchester 70 Featherweight Stainless for 50% of MSRP which is $1099. So $550 for a NIB Featherweight Stainless is a no brainer bargain wise but i have never been a big Winchester guy. All my rifles are Remington and Ruger. I guess i just dont have a NEED for a 30-06. Just a WANT. The nostalgia of the Winchester rifle in the classic 30-06 is getting me. Talk me into it guys. I guess i need to start saving my money just in case! One thing that is kind of holding me back is that i dont have easy access to reloading equipment. My dad has his own room in the garage he just built but its 2 1/2 hours away. If i dont reload i have to stick with factory ammo which doesnt bother me one bit but everyone and their dog shoots a 30-06 around here and i saw how impossible it was to find 06 ammo before and during hunting season. I dont think there was one box in all of Missoula to be bought.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Everybody NEEDS a .30-06, even if you don't shoot them . Counting military colectables, I have way more than even I need. Having at least one in "the rifleman's rifle," is even better.

Join a Civilian Marksmanship Program affiliated club and buy imported Greek surplus for plinking.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Getting a stainless Win M70 in featherweight on a proform might be a little tough...that model isnt listed by winchester...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ingwe......I don't know but I have both the 30-06 and the 270 in model 70 Winchester feather weights and they are both stainless! Yes, I did not miss type either.

Some 2 months after I bought these rifles, a call was made for another client of the gunstore I do business with and the lady at Winchester said: "Sorry, Winchester Never made such a rifle" The clerk looked up the serial numbers of our rifles purchased prior and she then stated there must be some mistake in your logging of those rifles.

Last edited by Tonk; 03/20/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer-Tracker, just so you know (in case you don't) those stainless rifles will rust just as easy as a blued rifle. It starts out as very tiny pin-head black specks and they grow larger with time and pit.

I always paint my stainless rifles with Rustoleum flat black paint before a hunt. I take the stock off to do so and the rifle mounts for the scope too.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah Tonk...I know they made them in New Haven...have passed a few Fwt. stainless through my hands,nice guns BTW grin
But they are not listed as current production in the Win. catalog or on line website, and the proform alluded to only kicked into being with the advent of the FN made rifles in South Carolina...

Wish they would make them again..I'm really likin the FN guns!!

ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
DOH!!!

blush blush blush blush blush

Please accept my humbles apologies...
I gotta go wash a schitlload of egg off my face now...... whistle

Butttt...thanks for the post CP..Ive been to the website a number of times and missed THAT entirely..

Veddy Veddy cool they brought them back in wood instead of synthetic too!! cool

Ingwe

Last edited by ingwe; 03/20/10.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A friend has one in 30-06 a NH gun and it is very nice. He has the sporter version in 270 and I believe he prefers the handling of the featherweight. I have a featherweight stainless in 7mm Rem mag with a 24" barrel. It was known as a "All Terrain" and I have since put it in a McMillan Edge. Weight of said rifle is 6lbs 14 ounces .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some early New Haven's and early SC FNs. IMHO there is no comparison. SC wins hands down-barrel quality, bedding, crown, action,safety timing, accuracy. One more comment about the action. The three that I have cycle like the bolts are on greased bearings. What I wanted out of my commerial Mausers without spending hundreds to achieve.

Recently a Campfire "cronie" cycled the action on a SS LA action and then a SA chromemoly. I think he's converted from a "no way, no how" to "I need one".

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
NH guns especially the later years were very spotty. Early production I have found to have much better quality in about every area. Every one of the early guns that I have owned/own were shooters.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep we have a stainless/wood 30-06 and a stainless/wood 300WSM at work. I just love the stainless/wood combination. Everytime we didnt have a customer at the gun counter last night, i was holding the 30-06, taking scopes from the displays and comparing them to see how they would look on the gun, etc,etc. I just gotta have one. Only need to save up about $300 more. I used to hate the 30-06 and wanted more of the unconventional stuff but i guess im getting back to the simpler things in life. lol.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
E
E
Few years ago my brother and I bought a Winchester Featherweight 7mm-08 Blue barrels,
We dropped lots of games, deer, black bear, elk, crows...
We reload and lots of our recipes are amazingly accurate, they are definitely tacks drivers
Here's an example of an average 3 shot group, not the best not the worst.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/bluebarrelwinchesterfwtr.jpg/
Last fall we went through a lot of inclement weather, fortunately it pay back.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/7mm08105275m15nov18.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/ours7mm085.jpg/
Even if I did a lot of maintenance on it, dry it out and oil it every night, got some rust pitting here and there:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/21nov2011rouillerust1.jpg/
I�ve then Ordered last December a new one, Stainless tough.
Well, just FYI I just send back today my new Winchester Featherweight STAINLESS 7mm-08: POOR accuracy .
148 rounds through it, reload, factory, redone the bedding, lapping compound; name it.
Average 1.8 inch 3 rounds.
Even switch scope to make sure.
Gunsmith from the service center told me it was not unusual with the Stainless barrel.
Some may think: you got what you pay for! Wrong call.......
Here�s an example with factory rounds

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/ssfwt7mm08factory.jpg/

I got the same rifle blued, sold it for inclement weather, shame on me.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/winchesterfwtstainless7.jpg/
The blued one was a tack driver, I rely on that when I�ve decided to move for the SS.
Here�s another example from the blue one:
First round was the fouling shot, there�s 4 rounds in the grouping.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/bluebarrelwinchesterfwt.jpg/
I really don�t know the next step, what they are going to do, hopefully the problem is the barrel, easy fix, but I do worry a lot fell some pressure and uncertain about her future.
Very disappointed, also have a Winchester 30-06 Ranger, and an XTR 7mm RM, so pleased with them.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
What kind of prices are out there? I am thinking about a Super Grade in 30 06. Gander Mtn has them for $1059.00. Gander is not known for great pricing, but that is a few off the MSRP.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been thinking about picking up a FWT SS .308 lately. I really have no need for it, but need is not really part of the equation, is it? I have plenty of mid-caliber 'deer/elk' rounds, but no .308. I think I may have just talked myself into it.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
Yep we have a stainless/wood 30-06 and a stainless/wood 300WSM at work. I just love the stainless/wood combination. Everytime we didnt have a customer at the gun counter last night, i was holding the 30-06, taking scopes from the displays and comparing them to see how they would look on the gun, etc,etc. I just gotta have one. Only need to save up about $300 more. I used to hate the 30-06 and wanted more of the unconventional stuff but i guess im getting back to the simpler things in life. lol.

That's a great choice, it's very hard to beat the ol 06 and in the "rifleman's" rifle to boot. Just a good combo all the way around. Almost as good as my pre 64 fwt 06 wink grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I could get any M70 at half price, I'd likely get a Supergrade instead.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
cazman - one can find supergrades for 900.00-1000.00 on the web. gunbroker would be a good place to start looking. i bought a new fn sg in 270 win a few months back for less than 850.00 as it was on sale in an area where model 70's aren't big sellers. they are out there, ya just have to keep looking. good luck in your search.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
hotsoup - thanks for the info. Do you know why a super grade is listed as a 1 lb. heavier than a sporter. Same barrel length on a 30 06.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I see where Winchester currently lists the Stainless/wood featherweight in .270 WSM and .300 WSM, but I don't see where it's chambered in 30-06. Am I missing something?

I used to have one in .270 from New Haven, that I foolishly let go of. I believed and still believe that is the prettiest factory rife ever produced.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.