Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
bender-
Thanks for posting the article. I'm having trouble getting my tri-focals to tri focus!

Wonder if you might have a higher resolution scan of it?

"The more I learn, the less I know I know." - unoriginal, but true
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SFCSNOW
Get a couple of 55 gallon barrels and cut the top off of thm. Also drill some holes in the bottom to allow it to fill with water. In 3 or 4 feet of water drive a couple of 8' 4x4 posts about 2 feet deep. This allow them to stick out of the water a couple of feet. Sink a barrel between the two posts and leave it about 18" or so above the water line and secure it to the posts. Add a 2x6 or 2x8 ramp to both sides of the barrel for the turtles to walk up on. You can add bait to the barrel if wanted or they just naturally use the ramp to get on to sun. As they fall off to get into the water they trap themselves in the barrel and cant get out. It's common to get 5-6 each day until the numbers really drop off. Only problem with this is they do stink bad unless you keep the dead ones cleaned out.

Thats the method I've seen used, with the ramp hinging on the barrel, when they crawl up the ramp to sun, they get over center and it dumps them into the barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to build floating wooden frames with sheep fence or chicken wire mesh across the bottom. A ring of nails driven into the inside edges of the frame prevented them from crawling out of the trap. Never was in a place with huge numbers of snappers but got doubles and triples on individual floats fairly regularly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trout farms around here place the above treble hook and jug set up with one exception. They leave the jug tied off to the pier with enough line to let it float out into the pond a ways. The treble hook is of heavy saltwater variety, steel leader mandatory. Bait is usually chicken parts. .22 lr makes a meal of them under 50 yards. Your .22 hornet should be fine.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitka deer has a good method. We used to do this when I was younger. It works very well. They will crawl up on the 2x6 frame to sun and some will go into the trap. Once you get this made and set, you will harvest several a day if you keep it checked. Not as much fun as the .22 mag, but it does have a good end result.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitka Deer's trap method is THE way for smaller turtles. The big ones won't climb on anything, or ever give you a shot, but will bite a baited hook (on wire) hung just above the water.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks Gents!

I've actually been using a modified version of the "Walk-the-Plank" trap. I have a downed pine tree that is a favorite perch for the buggers. Baited hooks hung from the pine limbs "hold" their attention whilst my trusty Contender Carbine in .22lr Match handles the dispatching. I have a few red-ear turtles showing their heads but haven't seen a snapper in two weeks.
Nephew is here from San Diego. Boy can he shoot! Head shots with the Contender @ 75yds is a piece of cake for him!

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Woodies managed four hatches on the ponds this year. I hope someone appreciates that when duck season rolls around!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,951
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.