Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking at purchasing a newer PU in the next few months and would like some real world experience on what the market has to offer.

Toyota?

Ford?

Dodge? (not really on the list)

Govt Motors? (ditto on the list thing)

All experiences/stories/opinions welcome!

220 Swift still king.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swift, it will be hard to best the gas milage the GM trucks will give you. I have an 05 1500 Chevrolet with the 5.3 and optional 3.73 gears. It will give 19mph on the highway. Only thing I don't care for is the shorter bed when you get the crew cab.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dodge, off the list ??....it is Truck of the Year for 2010.

You buy a 2500 Cummins 4X4 and you have a truck for life.

My 01' still going strong with nothing but scheduled service.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new 2011 Ford Super Duty will be on dealers lots this spring.I'd hold fire till I checked one out.New diesel and gas motor coming.Worth a look.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a 4x4 Nissan Titan Crew Cab SE...$4000 in rebates and the dealers want to move them.

So far I like it. I'm getting about 14 mpg in mixed driving and around 18 mpg on the highway. Got around 600 miles on it so far.

$4000 off....and nice option packages. Made in Canton Miss.

Dan

IC B2

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm a bit short on the sweet to swing a diesel Dodge.

Substantiated or not I've run across too many supposed tranny issues to make one palatable.

220 Swift still king.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not like I'm rolling in gas money but mileage isn't a deal breaker.

My 02 Tacoma only has 87K so I'm running less than 10k a year.

220 Swift still king.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Didn't Titans have some original issues?

Are they fixed?

220 Swift still king.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If only I could afford 36K$$ plus.

220 Swift still king.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I went through this recently, there was now dodge or government motors on my list.

I wanted a crew cab half ton and i wanted the 6 1/2' bed with the crew cab

Ford started making them in 06 I believe.

I ended up with an 07 F150 lariat crew cab with the 6 1/2' bed.

I haven't done a long highway trip with it yet but my mixed driving is giving me 16mpg so far.

normal bed length for a crew cab 1/2 ton has been 5 1/2' which I just couldn't buy, too short for me. I need to put an atv or a couple dirt bikes in back now & then.

Something clever here.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Dodge, off the list ??....it is Truck of the Year for 2010.

Voted on by who....Dodge dealers?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swift

I hear ya.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just my 2 cents, so take it for what its worth. When I was truck shopping in 07, I wanted a crew cab, but hated to give up the bed length. Then I discovered that the Tundra double cab with the 6.5' bed has almost as much back seat as a ford or GM crew cab and has the forward opening doors. The doors are a huge deal if you have ever had to get in and out of the back seat of a truck that has doors that open against each other in a crowded parking lot. The back seat of a Tundra Crewmax is almost ridiculous. I swear it was like sitting in a Limo.

Anyway, after much research and test-driving, I bought the Tundra Double Cab and have been nothing but pleased for 45k miles. I get almost 19 mpg on my daily commute, which is most interstate driving at 75mph.

With the rebates and 0% interest they have going now, it sure looks like a good time to buy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a bit short on the sweet to swing a diesel Dodge.

Substantiated or not I've run across too many supposed tranny issues to make one palatable.
Huh??? Your basing your decision on hearsay and second hand reports? That's the impression I got when I read this post. Might want to do some real research before you take Dodge off your list, and that's coming from a guy that loves Fords as well as Dodge. I've put close to 50k miles on my truck in less than 3 years and have had zero issues with it. Only thing I've done to mine was fix a very minor exhaust leak, put a K&N CAI on it, keep up on regular maintenance and it continues to run like a top. I'll be upgrading in the next year or so and when I do it will be another Dodge with either the Hemi or Cummins, that is unless those new Ford motors prove to be the cat's a$$, then I might have to make the switch.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Just my 2 cents, so take it for what its worth. When I was truck shopping in 07, I wanted a crew cab, but hated to give up the bed length. Then I discovered that the Tundra double cab with the 6.5' bed has almost as much back seat as a ford or GM crew cab and has the forward opening doors.

Easy now.....thats quite the stretch there, I just dumped a 07 Double cab and the back seat room between the Ford Crew and the Tundra isn't even close. The difference between the CrewMax and the Ford Crew Cab is much closer to each other. My 12 year old and his buddies always complained that there knees were hitting the backs of the front seats. They were astonished when they got in my new Ford Crew cab. And with the Ford CC's being the only ones that have the rear seats completely fold up and out of the way, the rear cargo area in there is insane big. My Rottie just about got lost back there!...grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah yet ANOTHER F.O.R.D. diesel....how many times have they tried?

Cummins just keeps hummin.

As for the tranny issues, SEVERAL years ago there was in issue with 5th gear, gears coming loose. Long since diagnosed and fixed by anyone with 1/2 a brain and that tranny has been history a long time.

As for Tzone who apparently does not read much:

"Heavyweight Dodge Ram voted 'Truck of the Year'
The Motor Trend award goes to the all-business Dodge work truck."

http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/10/autos/dodge_ram_motor_trend/index.htm

A subscription to TDR might prove enlightening although it has more words than pictures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel will be Fords 6th different diesel engine since the first 6.9 L Navistar motor appeared in 1983.

7.3 PSD
6.0 PSD
6.4 Twin Turbo PSD

The new 6.7 PSD coming this spring

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hope it is a good one. I also hope they have the bugs worked out in a few years when I'm ready for a new truck, or newer anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only time will tell.Fords first in house diesel so we'll see.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Only time will tell.Fords first in house diesel so we'll see.

I have no technical data to back this, but my gut feeling is its going to be a disaster.

Your right Fords has had six different motors, the problem is three of them have been in the last seven years. Doesn't say much for them. And yes I've driven a few, not my personal trucks but company trucks. The 7.3 we have still hums along, everything 04' and newer has been a giant POS, motor wise at least.

Bill

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BTW, I'm not a Ford hater at all.
I hope they get it right this time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't Titans have some original issues?

Are they fixed?

I read a posting on Titan Spot that the brakes have been upgraded, the rear ends including 4 pinion spyder gear, a newly designed exhaust manifold and front differential.

Titan Spot

When mine gets close to 36,000 miles I'll buy a Nissan extended warranty...just in case. The Titan is a big, beefy, powerful truck. Check out an SE with the Value Package. All kinds of nice options.

Did I mention $4,000 in rebates? Consumer reports claims average reliability and reccommends them.

Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Don't let the MSRP scare you on the Titan (If you like them) I negotiated $3,000 off the MSRP and then took the $4,000 rebate off. Saved $7,000. Ford sells more F-150's in a month than Nissan sells Titans in a year. That's why the big rebates are there and the dealers are motivated.

Don't know if that helps at all in your situation...good luck truck shopping Swift.

Dan

Last edited by Dantheman; 03/22/10.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've been a Paramedic for over 20 years. 99% of ambulances made are Fords. Since the 6.0 our squads have been in the shop for something at least once a month. A county service I worked for part time had to lemon law a year old squad due to Ford diesel issues.

I'm truck shopping as well and the Titan has always had my interest. As far as big 3 1/2 tons. I'm thinking Chevy this time. Then again I can't shake the Tacoma or FJ (even though its not a truck)!! crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You didnt say if you wanted fullsize? After driving a ford deisel for 8 years, I went with a 06 tacoma crew cab when I no longer needed the bigger rig for hauling. I liked it so much after I totalled it and had the chance to do it over again, I bought an 07 tacoma crew cab. Long bed with a canopy, for me its the perfect hunting rig. I really like the size. But I dont tow a heavy trailer or anything either.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look around. Try a diesel. After driving one for 6yrs, I wouldn't get another gas pickup. And if you're ok with buying used, that's even better....I'd say get one a couple yrs old that doesn't have all the emissions crap. My Chev is absolutely the best/most enjoyable truck I've ever had. Dodge guys think theirs is the one, same with Ford guys. Just drive all three and see which you like the best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In WY Fords are called "Powerpokes" because if you try and haul a six horse slant over Teton pass, you'll be in 1st (or fried) at the top.

Cummins rules, EOS !

S
S
If you want a real truck stick with American. If you want a glorified car with a truck body go japanese. Ask any Cummins owner and get a true opinion. I have tried Toy,Nissan, Ford and the wife had a Chevy nothing was as good as my current Dodge 2500 propelled by Cumins.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are looking for a gasser with a crew cab, right now no one can beat Fords rebates and price options. I just went through the search for a pick up when dumping the Tundra. You commented that $36,000 is too much $$ for a truck. You can buy a brand new F-150 CC for a heck of a lot less money than that. Even here where prices are ridiculous and theres no competition, I drove away in a brand new F-150 Crew cab with probably more added options than most truck guys would want for a whopping $32,000. I assure you from what I have been reading on Ford Forums, that you could probably drive away in the same truck as mine or a better equipped one in lower America for about $28-29 thousand. GM's deals just werent that sweet compared to Fords.And the Dodge dealer is on crack! With a little homework and persistence, right now you can save close to $10,000 off the sticker of a new F-150, no one else can touch that with current specials. Unless you put 25-30 thousand miles a year on a truck, or must tow some really heavy trailers regularly, dont let these guys sway you towards a diesel. I have had two diesels and they just plain are a pain in the azz unless you need em. They stink (literally), they cost more to maintain and operate, and with the few amount of miles you put on a rig, theres just no benefit for you.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=AlaskaCub] With a little homework and persistence, right now you can save close to $10,000 off the sticker of a new F-150, no one else can touch that with current specials.[quote]

Really? Find that amazing. So the New Dodge Rams that we are selling $8700 to $10,200 off sticker are just the figment of may imagination?

You can get a VERY nice equipped Ram CrewCab, 4x4, Hemi with what I'll bet is more equipment than your Ford for LESS than $30K. I'm not bashing your Ford, as I know they are decent trucks. However, you are wrong as to the deals that only Ford is giving.

Hemi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might be right Hemi, just stating my recent truck buying experience. In my area Dodge does not have those kind of deals going on, orrrrr they have the sticker prices marked up so high that no rebate in the world can make them look appealing. Most guys who buy new Dodges up here (at least the ones that I know that are smart) fly down to Idaho and buy em from Dave Smith and then drive em back. Our local Dodge dealership has a pretty bad rep, from how much they ask for the trucks, to their inability to repair em.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will tell you that a buddy of mine recently bought a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 w/ a Hemi for his wife while down in Anchorage for the weekend, and now he doesn't want to drive his 08 Tundra anymore! He loves that new Dodge, but I would expect him too, he paid over $40,000, they seen him coming from a mile away!....grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The dodge dealer around here are either not doing a good job advertising, or they aren't giving the rebates. I stopped to look at an 08 F-150 they had on the lot. It was next to a new Hemi ram, and I didn't see any word of a rebate, or good financing, nothing like that.

Didn't stick around either though, they wanted $32K for a used f-150 w/42,000 mi.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to go Dodge, check out Dave Smith's for the best deals

http://www.davesmith.com/

I was able to get my '06 2500 rams cummins for $32k, that was $8k off the sticker. It was a base model truck, which is just fine because the accessories are the things that crap out. I can't imagine paying more than $25k for a 1/2 ton truck.

So far I like the ram, it's a solid axle 4X4 truck, manually shifted transfer case. Even though it's a quad cab and not a true crew cab the cab is decent size.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A buddy of mine from Delta Junction got a Diesel Mega Crew with a 6 1/2 ft box back in 08 from Dave Smith. He saved over $10,000 from buying locally here in Fairbanks. I wanna say his truck cost him $36,000 and its got pretty much everything minus leather and TV's. He pulled a trailer back from Seattle for a guy which covered his diesel expenses and he made it back here in like 3 days. If I was buying a Dodge w/ a Diesel, Dave Snith is very hard to beat!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[bleep] Dave Smith Motors. We beat Dave Smith ALL THE TIME.

Sorry for the rant. I will give him this. His telephone sales people are very good at convincing consumers that nobody else can do what they do in the ways of discount. Story is, yes EVERY dealer can do what he does. We choose high volume over high profit too. The thing that irks me over dealers like him, is they do nothing for the brand but whore it out. They bring in buyers from all around sell em and forget them. There is no "AFTER THE SALE SERVICE" they have to be concerned with when their customer is 500 miles away. They leave that up to the local dealer to take care of. I can understand a local dealer putting a Dave Smith customer on the back burner while taking care of "one of theirs". Heck, I do it, but as a customer of mine you can expect us to do what it takes to get your vehicle in as fast as possible.
Personally I believe in supporting your local economy and buy where you live for EVERYTHING you can. There is nothing wrong with shopping around to "keep your local retailers honest" and if they are willing to be competitive you should buy from them.
Rant over.

Hemi

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I will tell you that a buddy of mine recently bought a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 w/ a Hemi for his wife while down in Anchorage for the weekend, and now he doesn't want to drive his 08 Tundra anymore! He loves that new Dodge, but I would expect him too, he paid over $40,000, they seen him coming from a mile away!....grin

You can dress those trucks out pretty well and if you accessorize them of course you can get even higher. My guess is that he had a trade in and the dealer just left the price on the truck where it was and over-allowed for his trade (showed him more money for his trade than what they were actually putting in it). Some people get so wrapped up in what they get for their trade that is all they are concerend with and if you show them "real numbers" they get all bent out of shape for what they are getting for their trade even though the difference number would be the same. The "games", as you guys call it, that us dealers "play" are usually to try and figure out what kind of buyer the consumer is i.e. trade difference, trade in, apr, discount etc. Show a trade buyer too much discount and not enough for the trade and you loose them. A reason why one price stores have mostly dissapeared and did not fair that well in most markets.
IF, he REALLY paid $40K for his 1/2 ton- Well, I'm glad he likes it smile

Hemi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hemi
[bleep] Dave Smith Motors. We beat Dave Smith ALL THE TIME.

Sorry for the rant. I will give him this. His telephone sales people are very good at convincing consumers that nobody else can do what they do in the ways of discount. Story is, yes EVERY dealer can do what he does. We choose high volume over high profit too. The thing that irks me over dealers like him, is they do nothing for the brand but whore it out. They bring in buyers from all around sell em and forget them. There is no "AFTER THE SALE SERVICE" they have to be concerned with when their customer is 500 miles away. They leave that up to the local dealer to take care of. I can understand a local dealer putting a Dave Smith customer on the back burner while taking care of "one of theirs". Heck, I do it, but as a customer of mine you can expect us to do what it takes to get your vehicle in as fast as possible.
Personally I believe in supporting your local economy and buy where you live for EVERYTHING you can. There is nothing wrong with shopping around to "keep your local retailers honest" and if they are willing to be competitive you should buy from them.
Rant over.

Hemi

I worked for the local Dodge dealership years ago ,and you should of seen the chit storm fights that took place between the dealership GM's/owners and Dave Smith customers. The policy in service was.......no Dave Smith vehicle gets fixed before a $%$#&*%$#% customer gets their vehicle fixed! A vehicle with those neon Dave Smith dealership tags would pull up in service and everyone who wrote service would run! In a place with sub zero temps darn near 6 months of the year , service is always booked up, be it warranty repairs or customer pay, you were looking at a customer who was pulling into the service drive that you knew wasn't getting into the shop in the next 2 months, and it was always a warranty issue. Man those were not good times! But I witnessed a heck of a confrontation between the owner of a very large local company who had bought a truck from Dave Smith and the owner of the Dodge dealership here in which the guy went and got his sales paperwork out of his glove box and proceeded to call the dealership owner a [bleep] thief, and that it was businesses like our dealership that was killing the local economy and training people to look elsewhere. I knew the guy pretty well and after the GM/Owner stormed out of service I asked the guy if I could look at the paperwork, and he didn't just save a couple thousand dollars, it was more like $8,000. There should never be that much of a difference in prices IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just my 2 cents, so take it for what its worth. When I was truck shopping in 07, I wanted a crew cab, but hated to give up the bed length. Then I discovered that the Tundra double cab with the 6.5' bed has almost as much back seat as a ford or GM crew cab and has the forward opening doors.

Easy now.....thats quite the stretch there, I just dumped a 07 Double cab and the back seat room between the Ford Crew and the Tundra isn't even close. The difference between the CrewMax and the Ford Crew Cab is much closer to each other. My 12 year old and his buddies always complained that there knees were hitting the backs of the front seats. They were astonished when they got in my new Ford Crew cab. And with the Ford CC's being the only ones that have the rear seats completely fold up and out of the way, the rear cargo area in there is insane big. My Rottie just about got lost back there!...grin

No stretch. The backseat space in a Ford Crew Cab is no where close to that of a Tundra CrewMax. Frankly the Tundra Quad and Ford Crew Cab are closer than the Crew Cab and the CrewMax.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your right, the Tundra Double cab and the Ford Super Crew are very close in size. I havent owned both trucks in the last month, I am talking out of my azz!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
After almost 2 years and 18k miles I haven't had any problems with my 08 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4. I have the 4.8L V8 and it tows with no problems my larger pop up, family, and gear up to 7 thousand feet from around 1100. I average 18.5 miles to the gallon with mostly city driving. I've had it up and down some pretty hairy 4x4 trails in Southern Arizona chasing coues whitetail deer and it did well. The rear seat space is spacious too. I pretty much stole it when they were offering the employee pricing a few years back.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Your right, the Tundra Double cab and the Ford Super Crew are very close in size. I havent owned both trucks in the last month, I am talking out of my azz!

TFF!! grin

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I think we are comparing apples and oranges, Cub. According to MSN Autos, my 2007 Tundra DC has 35" of rear legroom, the 2007 Ford CC has 39" and the 2010 Ford CC has 43.5" so if we are talking 2007 vs 2007, it is closer, which is what I said to start with. Appearantly Ford has greatly increased their back seat in recent models. Just for comparison the Tundra Crewmax has 44.5".

The point of my original email was not to put down or insult Ford. I happen to like Fords and my previous truck was a '97 F-150. My original post was simply to throw out an idea to someone who asked a question. The DC works great for me cause I rarely have adults in my back seat. I use it 99% of the time for storage of hunting clothes and such.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The point of my original email was not to put down or insult Ford. I happen to like Fords and my previous truck was a '97 F-150. My original post was simply to throw out an idea to someone who asked a question. The DC works great for me cause I rarely have adults in my back seat. I use it 99% of the time for storage of hunting clothes and such.

I hear ya man, and I wasn't "defending" ford pickups, I was defending my sanity. Its just that while I was buying the new Ford, every single person in my family as well as the guys at work has commented on how big the rear seat area is in the new F-150's. I slept in the back seat area a couple weeks back while up north chasing wolves, and my 100 lb Rottie pup rides around in the truck with me,he's a good area size determinating factor!...grin Seriously though, the back seat is friggin huge compared to the back seat of my double cab Tundra I traded in. So it was a little hard to swallow someone telling me that I am flipping crazy! 2009 was when they extended the rear cab in the F-150's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After seeing the prices of these newer trucks, I will probably never buy a new vehicle again. Seriously, $30,000+ for a truck??

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude....new 4x4 full sized trucks have costed $30,000+ for at least the last 10 years. Cept the reg cab, and base model pickups, that is, aint nuthin new.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
After seeing the prices of these newer trucks, I will probably never buy a new vehicle again. Seriously, $30,000+ for a truck??

That's only for the cowboy cadalacs, 1/2 ton gassers run not much over $20k, diesels run not much over $30k. I'm talking base models for folks that know how to dicker on the sticker price. I too can't imagine putting $40-50k into a truck, especially when all those bells and whistles depriciate to nothing and are the items that tend to crap out first.

Given the hastles of dealing with stealerships, I too am unlikely to buy a new vehicle for a long time, if ever.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude....new 4x4 full sized trucks have costed $30,000+ for at least the last 10 years. Cept the reg cab, and base model pickups, that is, aint nuthin new.
Was there something that I said that made you think I don't know that already? My point is that they are overpriced and I don't give a [bleep] what kind of truck it is or what it comes with, $30k+ is too much money. And there are those that will pay closer to $50K so they can have one with all the bells and whistles on them, you want to spend that kind of money then knock yourself out but I won't do it myself.

I bought a brand spanking new Ford F150 with zero miles on it in 2001, was a regular cab and didn't have any power equipment other than steering and brakes and I spent less than $16K for it. Good luck finding anything new even close to that price nowadays. Inflation, yeah, I know all about that too.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't sure when the last time you peeked at new truck prices is all, they have been high for a really long time. And I dont know how prices are for the guys in the lower 48 ( I know your from Alaska too) , but up here $16,000 barely gets you a Toyota Corolla, or a Chevy Cobalt. Everything is crazy espensive.

The funny part to me is that you can go to a local dealership and the 1 year old truck with 20,000 miles on it is for sale on their used car lot for all of $2,000 less than a new one can be had for , after rebates and such. Its really a no brainer. Never understood that one.

In 1996 I bought a Toyota Tacoma Xtra cab SR5, paid 22,000 for it, today the same (compact truck) Tacoma is stickered over $30,000, its [bleep] crazy if you ask me.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We're a cranky bunch all of us.

I blame Obama.

That is all, as you were men.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The way mid size trucks are priced it doesn't seem worth getting one compared to a full size. At least new ones.

I needed a crew cab for my growing children. I only use a truck for light duty. But when I compared mid size crew cabs to full size crew cabs I found that the mid size mpg wasn't really much better than full size. Once the bigger rebates and incentives kicked in on the full size trucks I just didn't see the value in going smaller.

Extended and Reg cab mid size trucks are still decent value with smaller engines and perhaps a standard tranny. I traded a Chevy Colorado Ext. cab with the 5 cyl and manual tranny. Decent gas milage and a good size for my trucking needs. But no room my growing kids in the back.

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Worse part about it all is, you buy a new truck and drive it off the lot and it automatically drops a couple thousand in value. When I buy a truck it will be a 3-5 year old truck with low miles and I won't compromise on what I want. Lots of storage room, power everything, leather interior, and plenty of power and decent mileage. My only regret in buying my last truck was not getting a Hemi but I didn't really see the need for it back then. Sure wish I had one now though.....

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Your right, the Tundra Double cab and the Ford Super Crew are very close in size. I havent owned both trucks in the last month, I am talking out of my azz!"

You said it, not me.

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 03/25/10.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whats the matter Expat, cant take a little sarcasm when your wrong? Just for clarification,heres the numbers....you tell me whats closest to what

2010 Tundra DC

Rear leg room--------34.7"
Rear Shoulder room---65.7"
Rear Headroom--------38.7"

2010 Tundra CM

Rear leg room--------44.5"
Rear Shoulder room---65.4"

2010 F-150 SCREW

Rear leg room--------43.5"
Rear Shoulder room---65.6"
Rear Headroom--------40.3"

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Keep it coming!
Drove a Dodge and Ford today.

Dodge was sweet and a bit more refined.

Ford was more truck like.

Tomorrow test driving a Tundra and Titan

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep it coming!
Drove a Dodge and Ford today.

Dodge was sweet and a bit more refined.

Ford was more truck like.

Tomorrow test driving a Tundra and Titan

Press the Toyota and Nissan dealers hard. You should be able to get them close to or at invoice before the rebates are deducted. Toyoya sales are down overall and Nissan Titan sales aren't setting the world on fire.

Dan

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Off to the dealerships!

220 Swift still king.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Didn't care for the Titan at all.

Now the Tundra DC was sweet (crew cab sweeter) and plenty of room in the back for the teenagers.

Time to ponder and search for a deal...

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Tundra does have plenty of room. Even the double cab is comfortable in the back. I guess it all depends on how much time the teenagers will be sitting back there.

If its an occasional ride or short trips than the DC might do. I know I could stretch my legs out all of the way in the back of the Crew Max. My problem was that The Crew Max's by me were all black and loaded with options that made them a lttle pricey for me. As the weeks have gone by perhaps the dealers will be a little hungrier. The end of the month is upon them.

Good luck,

Dan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whats the matter Expat, cant take a little sarcasm when your wrong? Just for clarification,heres the numbers....you tell me whats closest to what

2010 Tundra DC

Rear leg room--------34.7"
Rear Shoulder room---65.7"

2010 Tundra CM

Rear leg room--------44.5"
Rear Shoulder room---65.4"

2010 F-150 SCREW

Rear leg room--------43.5"
Rear Shoulder room---65.6"
Rear Headroom--------40.3"

I ride in the back of all three regularly. Your "I bought a Ford, do you like me now?" schtick is pretty pathetic. You sound like a whiney chick. Maybe you are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

I ride in the back of all three regularly. Your "I bought a Ford, do you like me now?" schtick is pretty pathetic. You sound like a whiney chick. Maybe you are.

I dont need anyones love over a [bleep] truck, you are obviously a touchy [bleep] that dont take to well to being wrong, and obviously cant handle sarcasm! You [bleep] post to me .....the owner of a Tundra Double cab for almost 3 [bleep] years, that I dont know how big the back seat in my turck is, and you call me a whiney chick? Dont know what your problem is dude, but you need help! Maybe your azz is chapped over the fact that I finally admitted that my Tundra was a [bleep] POS, and you happen to own one?????????

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Going with a Tundra DC.

220 Swift still king.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Going with a Tundra DC.

I think you made an excellent choice and hope you like it.

I appologize for the off-topic bitching by others that I appearantly started when I suggested a Tundra.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going with a Tundra DC.

Congrats! Did you iron out a deal yet or just made a decision on what your getting?

Dan

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Worse part about it all is, you buy a new truck and drive it off the lot and it automatically drops a couple thousand in value.

You buying a truck or making and investment? Making an investment..... I gotta bridge you can buy wink

Just saying...... You don't buy vehicle (typically- some may be collectors) for their resale value down the road. One of the reason leasing was so good for people who trade every 2-4 or so years (ok for those that don't understand leasing flame on). But seriously, least amount of money invested in a DEPRECIATING asset.

Hemi

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Going with a Tundra DC.

sick Seriously?

J/K Good luck with your purchse.

Hemi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going with a Tundra DC.

Your the one paying for it, so your the only one that needs to like it. Hope you have better luck with yours, than I did with mine. They are all sweet when they are new!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everything is sweet when new.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Going with a Tundra DC.
I would not go that route. Ever notice how Toyota truck owners explain why they bought a Toyota?

Get a Chevy or Ford and leave the Toyota for the Pink Izod wearing Golfers to carry there clubs in.

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slg888
Going with a Tundra DC.
I would not go that route. Ever notice how Toyota truck owners explain why they bought a Toyota?

Been driving Toyota trucks for the last 15+ yrs and never explained jack.

220 Swift still king.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dantheman
Going with a Tundra DC.

Congrats! Did you iron out a deal yet or just made a decision on what your getting?

Dan

Actually picking up my Tundra DC Longbed 4x4 Wed eve.

220 Swift still king.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Going with a Tundra DC.

Dan

There cute trucks, enjoy.

Last edited by slg888; 03/30/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going with a Tundra DC.

Dan

That's great. The back of the Tundra DC had about the same amount of leg room as my old 97 Explorer (if my memory serves). I'm 6' and I wasn't cramped in the back of the DC.

Best of luck with it.

Dan

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Going with a Tundra DC.

Dan

That's great. The back of the Tundra DC had about the same amount of leg room as my old 97 Explorer (if my memory serves). I'm 6' and I wasn't cramped in the back of the DC.

Best of luck with it.

Dan

Thanks Dan!

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Worse part about it all is, you buy a new truck and drive it off the lot and it automatically drops a couple thousand in value.

You buying a truck or making and investment? Making an investment..... I gotta bridge you can buy wink

Just saying...... You don't buy vehicle (typically- some may be collectors) for their resale value down the road. One of the reason leasing was so good for people who trade every 2-4 or so years (ok for those that don't understand leasing flame on). But seriously, least amount of money invested in a DEPRECIATING asset.

Hemi
Never said a word about investing in anything. So why does the value drop so significantly once it's driven off the lot? They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing. wink

Steelhead

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Hemi
Never said a word about investing in anything. So why does the value drop so significantly once it's driven off the lot? They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing. wink

So you mean to tell me you would pay the EXACT same for a brand new truck still on MSO than you would for a identical truck with lets say 500 miles that the warranty started 3 month ago? Really... you would.
OK, let's say you don't (like most normal people) and say it is worth less. Well, now you have just established MARKET VALUE. Read again, you being the consumer have just established market value. If you the consumer is not willing to pay the same for the vehicle as a new one, why is the dealership going to pay you the same as a new one? You are a tool.

Hemi

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hahahaha, I see you took offense to my "stealership" remark. The truth hurts doesn't it? Your a typical [bleep] dealer, no different than say, Cal Worthington.......lol

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

I dont need anyones love over a [bleep] truck, you are obviously a touchy [bleep] that dont take to well to being wrong, and obviously cant handle sarcasm! You [bleep] post to me .....the owner of a Tundra Double cab for almost 3 [bleep] years, that I dont know how big the back seat in my turck is, and you call me a whiney chick? Dont know what your problem is dude, but you need help! Maybe your azz is chapped over the fact that I finally admitted that my Tundra was a [bleep] POS, and you happen to own one?????????

WWWWAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swift,

Do we get to see some pics of the new ride? And did you get the 4.7 or 5.7?

Bimmer

Last edited by 2Bimmers; 03/31/10.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2Bimmers
Swift,

Bimmer

Got the 4.6L. I'll try and get one of the kids to take a pic or two after school and post um.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hemi

I totalled a less than one year old tacoma (2006) with 9000 miles on it. Insurance paid out more than I paid new. The used comparable rigs in my area were advertised for a about $1500 more than I paid (factory invoice).

But only with a toyota...

Sean
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too late now, but one of my work trucks is a 2009 F150 CC 6.5 box. If I put the driver's seat all the way back/all the way down (power seat), I feel like a little kid when driving it. As a 6'6" 340 lb. guy, that's an unusual feeling! Back seat is huge, too. I have plenty of room back there.

Sure does suck when trying to park in the local Albertsons, though!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2Bimmers
Swift,

Bimmer

Got the 4.6L. I'll try and get one of the kids to take a pic or two after school and post um.

Some guidance and maybe our computer challenged household can figure this out. (pic posting)

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swift,

Here's a couple of photos of the Titan I bought a month ago...

Dan

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by Dantheman; 04/06/10.
Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Real nice looking Dan!

How's yer gas mileage? So far I've managed to keep a soft foot.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm getting 14-15 mpg in mixed driving. I've been on one long trip where it approached 18 mpg. It stays pretty close to the 13/17 mpg from the factory sticker.

I drive like an old man with it too unless I need to pass some one...then I let 'er rip. It's a fun truck to drive...it kind of reminds me of my my first car, an old '68 Cougar that I had when I was a kid. Just much more refined. The gas milage isn't much different either!

Dan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good luck with your Tundra! I hope yours works out better for you than mine did for me! If you don't work it too hard I'm sure it will be fine. They are a damn easy on the eyes, I think it's a good looking truck!

I would be easy on the tailgate and not load anything like a 4wheeler on or off of it and pay close attention to the dash, mine sunk down quite a bit. I normally wouldn't buy an extended warranty for a vehicle but if you can get one cheap I'd consider doing it. Toyota didn't want to cover the dash under warranty so I'd pay attention to it and take it in asap if it sinks

Drum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was in the market for a truck until yesterday...

The Tundra was never on my list as I know too many people that have had nothing but headaches and problems.

Nissan not the on list either as everyone I've been around squeaks and rattles.

I've never been a fan of Dodge.... unless it's got a Cummings Diesel. I have no need for a diesel...

I've had a love/hate relationship with Chevrolets over the years. The current Suburban I have has had the tire pressure monitor go out twice. The passenger airbag replaced, twice. The air bag light on the dash is back on again.... and of course out of warranty.

Leaves Ford. I had a 4x4 Lariat a few years back. Zero issues.

Ended up buying a 2010 SVT Raptor with the 6.2L

Bad ass Truck! Should be able to go anywhere.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by FOsteology

Leaves Ford. I had a 4x4 Lariat a few years back. Zero issues.

Ended up buying a 2010 SVT Raptor with the 6.2L

Bad ass Truck! Should be able to go anywhere.

aaahhh. We need pics of this.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We really do need pictures of that rig.

Something clever here.

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pics would be nice!

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take a couple quick pics tomorrow morning as I'm taking it in to get the spray in Rhino guard bed liner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just before the rain began this morning...

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
took ya long enough!! grin

I've never seen a white one before, looks awesome man!!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Friggin awesome!

I love the white.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dude... that's sweet.

I'd have never driven a Dodge if Ford had a decent diesel, but I have to say mine has been a pretty decent truck. Pretty hard to complain about the towing, and for what it is, the mileage is great.

Dealerships are an absolute last resort for me, and I'll probably go the rest of my life without buying a brand new vehicle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2
Dude... that's sweet.

I'd have never driven a Dodge if Ford had a decent diesel, but I have to say mine has been a pretty decent truck. Pretty hard to complain about the towing, and for what it is, the mileage is great.

Dealerships are an absolute last resort for me, and I'll probably go the rest of my life without buying a brand new vehicle.

My 06 ram w/ cummins should be the last truck I need to buy. 3 1/2 years later and I still get pizzed thinking about the dealership. I too bought the truck, for the cummins, and honestly it's not a bad truck. 4wd is shifted manually from the transfer case, both front and rear end are solid axles, and the cummins is a great engine. Rides rough, but it's a truck, I don't want a pimped out highway ride in a truck, that's what the wife's benz is for.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have not read through the whole thread, but here is my 2cents.

I have a 2008 Tundra Crewmax, and it has been a great truck. I know that some people have had bad experiences with Tundras, and Toyotas in general, but I have had no problems in the last 2 1/2 years. This is the 5th Toyota I've owned.

With 3 teenagers and one wife, it is completely comfortable to take a road trip, hunting, fishing, camping, etc. I have towed a 5000 lb boat, and not known it was back there. I've had 1200 lbs of firewood in the back, and while the bed is only 5 1/2 ft, it's pretty deep. I get around 15 mpg around town, and 18 to 20 mpg on the highway, as long as I keep it under 70mph. And it is ridiculously fast with the 5.7!

I really, really wanted another 3/4 ton diesel (had a 2002 Dodge Cummins - it was making me deaf it was so loud!), and the newer ones are quieter, but the lousy mileage and expense ($42K from Dave Smith motors for a new 2500 at the time) was too much to swallow. I have friends that have a 2008 Dodge 2500 and an 2008 F350, and both struggle to get 11mpg in the city and around 16 on the highway. Unless you tow really big loads, or need big bed capacity, why bother?

For me, I need to haul a family around every day, but only use my bed once a week or so, and tow a few times a month. I would much rather have the extra space in the cab vs. the bed. The truck works in the city (I can park it in most underground parking garages) as well as it does spending a week out on logging roads.

If you want a truck you are going to beat the crap out of, you are probably better off with a 3/4 or 1 ton domestic base model truck. But if you take care of your vehicles, and need space for 6 big people, the Crewmax might work for you.

At the end of the day, you can get a lemon with any new truck. I still think that I have a better chance of a good vehicle with a Toyota than others, and right now with all of the negative hype, you can get a great deal on them.

YMMV

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sweet!

220 Swift still king.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My father trades his GM 1500 crew every year or two, so has had a number of them in the last 10 years or so. They are a very nice truck and as mentioned, get pretty decent mileage for a 4x4. We have consistently gotten 18-20 mpg on the highway. Mileage will start to drop if you do much driving over 70 mph. The 5.3 is a good motor, we do some light towing and it handles it just fine.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just bought this yesterday.

It's very nice.

2010 CHEVROLET 1500 CREW CAB/SHORT BED TRUCK - 4X4 LTZ-GRADE

VICTORY RED WITH GRAPHITE LEATHER INTERIOR

Options installed by Manufacturer
REAR VISION CAMERA SYSTEM

LTZ PLUS PACKAGE:
LOCKING TAILGATE
EZ LIFT TAILGATE
UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE
REAR WHEEL HOUSE LINER

TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER

AM/FM STEREO W/USB CD

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE:
ADJUSTABLE PEDALS
REAR PARK ASSIST

18" ALUMINUM WHEEL

VORTEC 5.3L V8 ENGINE, ALUMINUM BLOCK, FLEX-FUEL W/ ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT

REAR AXLE 3.42 RATIO

18" ON/OFF ROAD WOL TIRES

GVW RATING - 7000 LBS

OFF ROAD SUSPENSION PACKAGE:
OFF ROAD SKID PLATES
HIGH CAPACITY AIR CLEANER

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/dogzapper/P1020078.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/dogzapper/P1020079.jpg[/img]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, that is sharp. You got rid of you duramax? I never would have guessed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dogzapper

That is a nice looking truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Chevy Steve good choice.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
any "obama motors" digs yet?

not to be a meaner, it's cute in a GM kind of way... ok that was mean.

looks cushy, and nice.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave

looks cushy, and nice.

grin

I've been trying to understand what your comment actually means, Dave.

One would think that other members would be happy and maybe a bit supportive. Indeed, 7STW and Scottie were friendly, but I surely do not understand your comment

No happiness for a fellow human being, just sarcasm. If you dislike GM so much, why not simply NOT comment at all??? And what the heck does that idiot, Obama, have to do with it?

I'm beginning to understand why I am seldom at the 24HCF these days.

Happy landings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm thinking you should let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Steve, I dont think Dave meant anything bad about you or your truck... he likes to joke around and have a good time.

Dont take it personal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking truck Steve, and it's good to see you posting.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Originally Posted by northern_dave

looks cushy, and nice.

grin

I've been trying to understand what your comment actually means, Dave.

One would think that other members would be happy and maybe a bit supportive. Indeed, 7STW and Scottie were friendly, but I surely do not understand your comment

No happiness for a fellow human being, just sarcasm. If you dislike GM so much, why not simply NOT comment at all??? And what the heck does that idiot, Obama, have to do with it?

I'm beginning to understand why I am seldom at the 24HCF these days.

Happy landings,

Steve

hmm, yet another failed attempt at friendly humor via internet.

I'll try to explain.

The bailout... GM, Chrysler...

I guess I thought it was pretty common knowledge & a topic that's actually pretty popular. Some folks say they "will never buy another GM" after the bailout etc.

I guess I was just asking if anybody has been ribbing you any or if you had gotten any comments on the subject. Such as "not bad for a government motors".

I can only assume that I might encounter some comments from my friends if I went out & purchased a new GM product right now. Well actually people that know me would really give me an extra hard time if I purchased GM because I've been a ford truck guy for so long. So I would also expect comments from my GM loyal friends such as "oh you've finally seen the light" "Welcome to the good side" & such. Which is all in good fun and is not intended to ruin anyone's day. (and no I do not �hate GM�)

I really don't think I said anything mean, my mistake was assuming I could joke with a stranger on the internet as if they were my friend.

I apologize for failing to accurately deliver my intent, which is quite obvious by the frustration I've caused you.

Something clever here.

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice lookin truck DZ!

Relax a bit though. They are passin out shiet to everyone who don't own what they do.

Enjoy yer GM!

220 Swift still king.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
i am totally digging th red color. nothing beats a red pickup truck for looks. except maybe a fire engine. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then I discovered that the Tundra double cab with the 6.5' bed has almost as much back seat as a ford or GM crew cab and has the forward opening doors. The doors are a huge deal if you have ever had to get in and out of the back seat of a truck that has doors that open against each other in a crowded parking lot. The back seat of a Tundra Crewmax is almost ridiculous. I swear it was like sitting in a Limo. ...

Try a Mega-Cab?? smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not true ... got my 06 Mega-Cab new for $28k in 10/06. There are deals out there, takes patience.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.