Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Sounds like you might be trying to fix something that's not broke. I had a VXII 2-7 on a 260 Kimber that I thought was a good fit for that rifle. YMMV.

I won't argue that point! grin

Wouldn't be the first time.

Wouldn't be my first time either. But ain't it a Gaaaaasssssssssssss. Tom.

West By God Virginia
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The new 3.5-10X40 VX3 Leupolds apparently have from 3.8-3.4 inches of eye relief, which is shorter than the older 3.5-10X40's at 4.4-3.6 inches. Their eye boxes, however, are as big as they have always been at 3.5X and 6X as far as I can tell. E

So then there is no relationship between large eye boxes and eye relief or is this another Leupold exclusive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,

IMO nothing answers "lightweight, trim, medium power variable riflescope", plus great eye relief and reliablity, like a 2-7 Leupold.

Ted

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Hogghead,

I called Natchez, they have lots of those Swaro's in stock so... I may just do this.

Since you obviously "speak the language" of optics, would you mind talking a bit about what we call "eye box" on this forum, with relation to the Swaro 3-10x42? Most particularly, at low power settings?

(eye box is, as far as I can tell, how forgiving the scope is of head position. For example, a 2.5-8 Leupold has a HUGE eye box at 2.5x, just huge. A 3-9 Conquest has what I would say is a satisfactory eye box. Etc.)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jeff, I've compiled quite a bit of time with the Z3 3-9X36 on a light 300 WSM. I feel if the scope is mounted properly, your not going to have an issue with any of the Swaro lines.

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In some of the suggestions on here, I guess I don't understand. It's been noted that you have a 2.5-8 VX-III on the gun, why put a VX-II or VX-2 or whatever it is on the same gun??????

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I mount my rifles with my head further back on the stock than some, and I like my scopes back towards me usually as far as the rings will let them come.

I don't think 3.5" of eye relief would be problematic on a Kimber WSM due to the relatively short action. But that's about as short as I'd want to go in terms of ER.

Liv2Hunt, is the eye relief constant through the power range, more or less?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LIV2HUNT
In some of the suggestions on here, I guess I don't understand. It's been noted that you have a 2.5-8 VX-III on the gun, why put a VX-II or VX-2 or whatever it is on the same gun??????

Yeah, that would be a step in the wrong direction.

I am perfectly happy with the VX-III 2.5-8 I have on it, but I'm always up for being happier! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I know, "best" is a tough one but I'd be curious to hear where you all think the convergence of the attributes I mentioned lies.

Think, 2-10x as the power range limits. So a 2.5-8, 3-9, etc would all qualify as of course would a 2-10x.

I have a Kimber that is currently well served by a Leup 2.5-8 with a B&C reticle. So of course, I am considering messing with it <grin>. I do NOT want to get into a significantly bigger, heavier scope or I'd just put a 3-9x Conquest on it.

However in the big picture of what is and is not getting used in my gunsafe, I suppose I could rustle up some extra dough and go "alpha" (say, Swarovski) IF it was a genuine, real improvement over say a VX3 2.5-8 Leupold.

Curious what ya'll think, especially ya'll with more money than me who've tried the lightweight, trim "alpha" scopes. smile

The very word "best" totally rules out any loopie product.
My pick.
The Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Jeff, you can buy the Kahles 2-7x36 CL scope for 499 NIB from CDNN. If that is not a deal I don't know what is.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm pretty sure that Kahles won't suit the geometry of Jeff's situation.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The little 2-7x36 Kahles is a superb scope, but it is fairly short, so you might not be able to move it as far back as you want.

In that regard, a larger Kahles CL 3-9x42 may be a better bet and a very good buy for the money.

If you are inclined to look at tweener scopes, Vortex Viper 2-7x32 may be worth a look.

ILya

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
ILya,

Has the warranty/service issue with the CL model been hashed out somewhere?

m

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I do not have any problems at all with the Swarovski 3-10. However I have mine mounted on a rifle with a high rollover and a thumbhole stock. So my cheek weld is very consistent on the stock. It seems to fit me perfectly. And I have the scope adjusted perfectly to fit me. So I do not really have a problem with an "eye box". IMO I do not make the scope fit me. I make the stock fit me. And if the stock fits then the scope has little choice but to fall in line. And if you can not make the scope work, well then get a different scope. However the A-line is long enough to allow enough adjustment to remedy any problems I have ever had. I have also found that with a Picatinny type rail mount and the right rings I do not have any problems with any scopes I have. Tom.

West By God Virginia
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by mathman
ILya,

Has the warranty/service issue with the CL model been hashed out somewhere?

m

Kahles has a new US distributor. It looks like they will have a US-based service center, so we'll see how it goes.

I am cautiously optimistic.

ILya

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
I do not have any problems at all with the Swarovski 3-10. However I have mine mounted on a rifle with a high rollover and a thumbhole stock. So my cheek weld is very consistent on the stock. It seems to fit me perfectly. And I have the scope adjusted perfectly to fit me. So I do not really have a problem with an "eye box". IMO I do not make the scope fit me. I make the stock fit me. And if the stock fits then the scope has little choice but to fall in line. And if you can not make the scope work, well then get a different scope. However the A-line is long enough to allow enough adjustment to remedy any problems I have ever had. I have also found that with a Picatinny type rail mount and the right rings I do not have any problems with any scopes I have. Tom.

Thanks. A Picatinny is out of the question here; it's a featherweight rifle remember. I'll be mounting it within the constraints of Talley LW's. Which doesn't look to be a problem, but... that's the gig here.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I believe that Warne makes a two piece that has at least two slots in each base.

I have ran into problems before(not with the Swaro) because my rings were either too close or too far apart. That is why I like the options the Picatinney style base gives me. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Picatinny setup is the bomb, if weight isn't a concern, no question.

Wish I could get my eyeballs on one before I pull the trigger on off'ing my Leups. Anyone buy from Natchez? Do they have a decent return policy? Not that I'd be expecting to return it but.....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
All right Tom, you done did it to me. Just put (2) Boone and Crocket 2.5-8's on the classifieds ($335 shipped) and (2) sets of Alumina flip ups ($65 shipped) which will just about cover that Swarovski.

Oh Lordy... what have I done... an Alpha scope. I fear this could take me to a Very Bad Place. grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That Swaro isn't Alpha. Beta+ or Alpha- maybe. grin

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.