Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Seating depth has two functions:
1. To aid chambering by being seated with a lesser OAL that both the magazine and the distance to the lands to prevent binding the bullet into the lands when chambered and
2. Need to be altered to determine the sweet spot to maximize the accuracy potential of the cartridge in "a particular" rifle.

This is accomplished by observing the group shape. If the group is a large equilateral triangle, the bullet needs to be seated out in 1/4 turn increments until the group shinks.

If the group puts a couple together and the 3rd out of the group, the reverse it true, the bullet needs to be seated deeper in 1/4 turn increments until the bullet pulls into the group.

If you want accuracy, or at least, the ability to determine the accuracy potential of the barrel, the above step 2, needs to be followed. If accuracy is not a requirement, ( and that has been suggested elsewhere) then factory ammo dimensions or step 1 above will suffice.

JW

Have you found this statement true in most if not all situations???

I've never heard this before and will give it a try... :DThanks!

Last edited by LateBloomer; 04/18/10.
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a .257 Vanguard (New) and my deer hunting bullet is the 115 gr. Partition. It hammers big deer. I seat it to 3.180" and it works fine and is very accurate for a hunting bullet. I don't think that is much longer than factory loads but it is as far out as it will go without kissing the lands and feeling pressure on closing the bolt. It may be the shape of this particular bullet that dictates this length. I don't think mine has much freebore. IMHO Dee

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried reaching lands in a Mark V, and that's impossible. Eventually, I found that short with the cartridge getting a good grip on the slug was best for me. Same with a 240 Weatherby and a 30-378. Sorry, I can not give you specific numbers.

1Minute
lmartin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by atkinson
The problem is Weatherbys are "free board" so it doesn't make any difference anyway...You seat the bullet to fit the magazine and you will never reach the lands. It won't make any difference anyway in the field, we're talking silly milimeters anyway ... smile smile

I agree.

My two cents. I've never seen the point in messing with seating depth in hunting rifles. Even if you cut your groups in half (at the range) - from 3 inches to 1.5 at 100 yards for example and that's extreme - it's unlikely it will make any difference in field performance. Dead is dead. Reliable feeding and fist sized groups are all you need.
that may be well and good for some people and most likely out in the woods thats all you need but for me with the quality of todays rifles and reloading components if a rifle wont put 5 shots under 2 inches i really dont want it

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, MINE ARE ALL DEFECTIVE ..... TED NUGENT
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1100mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 18,972 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,980
Posts18,540,046
Members74,053
Most Online21,066

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.