Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If the right barrel is printing right, left prints left and you were shooting from at least 50 yards, I'd say you have a winner.

GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
They were, thanks to everyone for all the help and direction. Couple hundred practice rounds and I'll be ready for that big
B#$%!@&*...

�You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.� Admiral Yamamoto
www.chefgonehunting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Awesome! That didn't take long!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Paladin
Figured I might add something here.

The rifle is a Heym that belongs to a friend. He was going to Africa and wanted to shoot some before he left, so he had another friend load up some solids and jacketed soft points. Even handloading gets expensive with big bore stuff, so I bought an LBT mold and started casting bullets.

Here is a target shot with those bullets. We didn't shoot on paper much, but did shoot out to 320 yards.

The load Frank took to Africa was a 2,200 FPS load. He took a sable, leopard, and several wart hogs with those bullets and probably others as well.

[Linked Image]

This is a photo of the sky screens hit with a 515 grain LBT, .470NE. Long story short, the scope mount for this rifle works well, but takes some getting to know. The bullet split both screens and bent the wires.

[Linked Image]

Having messed with Heym's a bunch, I can tell you the following:

1) They are regulated with Wolfgang Romey ammo
2) Usually the Romey ammo are Woodleigh solids

I would be a bit concerned with the crossing that you have. You might want to try 500 gr. Woodleigh solids and 105 gr. RL 22 to start. I'm betting this will get you close to regulation. If you want a reduced load cast bullet, then I would suggest you try the LBT load I mentioned earlier in the thread.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Keep in mind that were talking about crossing at 50 or 75 yards and I would add 100 yards to my rifles...At some range all double will cross or spread greatly, its the nature of the beast, no matter what you do. The object is to control them within about 100 yards IMO. Beyond that your best bet is to test them so that you know how to hold at extended ranges and use Kentucky windage..It is a short range rifle with a specific purpose..

I'm sorry but I don't see any crossing in the above target! Am I missing something..It looks great to me both with the irons and with the scope..

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
blushWell, I'm a dope. eek I saw that and for some reason (probably both tired and in a hurry--now why on earth would you do that on a post--sheesh), I had a moment of dyslexia. Nope, it looks great. My apologies, especially to the original poster.

As for crossing at some range, I think it depends on the gun. I've seen this argument about them all crossing at some range, but in the few doubles I've played with, none of the .470's crossed out to 200 and I know of one 9.3 still going strong at 300. It might be fun to test this out to 600 yards. Have you done any extreme range doubles testing?

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 04/15/10.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Huntaria,
Ooops, actually I have not tested this cross over business to any extent at all, and my guns do not cross at 100 or even 200 as I recall.. I just accepted they cross over at some point as it is proclaimed as fact from "those" in the know! :), at least they are supposed to be in the know! smile..

A test such as you suggest would be very interresting and shed light on but what could be just another one of those old wives tales, that have plagued the double rifle establishment for years...

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Well I was able to do it again. The more I shoot it the more confident I feel too. The far shot to the right was an off hand shot.

Thanks again for all the help...

Attached Images
Double2.jpg (93.16 KB, 188 downloads)

�You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.� Admiral Yamamoto
www.chefgonehunting.com
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.