Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
clyde Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I recently got a marlin model 60 out of layaway at my local pawn store. It has a gold medallion in the stick. I have done a little research and this rifle turns out to be a NRA special edition. It has an actual walnut stock instead of the typical birch stock that other 60's have. Overall, the rifle looks to be in very good shape mechanially. I plan on taking it apart and giving it a very good cleaning. The previous owner didn't take good care of the stock or the barrel toward the muzzle. The stock has several little nicks; and, I am not worrying about that. The barrel toward the muzzle end has several "little" surface rust spots. I have already rubbed some penetrating oil on the barrel and reciever. Both of them already look better. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean and possibly "hide" the barrel rust. I plan on making this rifle my "everywhere .22 rifle". There is something unusual about this rifle. This rifle "feels" more rigid than my regular marlin 60 rifle. It makes me wonder if the potential accuracy could even be greater. There is a really neat website called marlin60.com. There are a few accessories that I plan on adding to this NRA marlin. One of them is a 4 power tactical scope. Any comments or advise about touching up the barrel rust spots would be greatly appreciated!!! I just have started shooting marlin 60s last year and I REALLY LOVE THEM!!!!! Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try penetrating oil and BRONZE not steel wool in OOOO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have one in SS/gray laminated stock, with a bronze NRA medallion in the butt stock. They were special to Friends of the NRA banquets in 1996, the 125th anniversary of the NRA, which is what the inlaid medallion notes.

I've never seen one in blued steel?

Recently compared it to a newer M60SS laminated and mine has a barrel that's about 3" longer than the other one. Both have the same orange fiber optic front sight. Barrel and bolt are SS, everything else is plated.

For light surface rust on blued steel, generally go at it with fine steel wool or brass brillo pad and either ATF or RemOil. Once the rust has penetrated to steel, not much can be done as far as saving the bluing.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
clyde Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the advise! I just want to touch up the rust on the barrel mainly. I may try the bronze brillo. Where can a person pick this up? I think that I am going to stock up on .22 ammo. I have watching stuff on youtube about the ammo shortage. I don't see how some of those guys are stocking up or how they can afford buying ammo in that much quanity! I am planning on using my NRA edition marlin 60 as my "everyday and everywhere" rifle. I will keep this thread updated on my progress with the marlin 60! Thanks! Clyde

clyde Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just have finished cleaning my marlin 60W. I will start on the surface rust on the barrel in a day or two. This .22 is going to be my utility gun. I was thinking about putting some fancy accessories on it, but have decided that I am going to stick a 4X scope on it and sight it in. Will keep everyone posted! Thanks for reading!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one just like you are describing. Great shooting little rifle. Got it from my little brother a few years back & am restoring it & going to give it back to him for his son born last Nov. It was his first rifle & want him to be able to give it to his kid.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.