Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Well, on this 149th anniversary of the surrender of Fort Sumter, it's good to see the war rages unabated on the internet front.

I'm an SCV member, by virtue of an uncle in the 14th Tenn. Infantry, shot in the stomach at the Wilderness and died a month later in the Yankee [bleep] prison camp on Chesapeake Bay called Point Lookout. And he was an east Tennessee hardscrabble farmer who owned no slaves, but did leave a widow and three children behind.

This whole "the war was about slavery, no it was about states' rights, no, slavery, neener neener neener" thing has been done about once every four months for as long as I've been hanging around the fire, with no minds changed. It is really kind of pointless.

But, to all those morally superior Yankees....keep in mind that only a miniscule portion of the north supported abolition, and almost none supported the free movement of freed slaves into the North, much less allowing them to vote.

The western world was awakening to the moral unacceptability of slavery in the mid-19th Century. France had abolished slavery in its colonies less that two decades before....after reinstating it after it was briefly banned during the Revolution. Some of the other relevant dates:

1839 The British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society is formed to campaign for the global abolition of slavery.
1851 Slave trading is abolished by Brazil.
1858 Slavery is abolished in Portuguese colonies although all slaves are subject to a 20 year apprenticeship.
1861 Slavery is abolished in the Dutch colonies of the Caribbean.
1865 Slavery is abolished in the United States following the Civil War.
1886 Slavery is abolished in Cuba.
1888 Slavery is abolished in Brazil.

So the southern confederacy was not so benighted nor so different from the sophisticated Europeans, in their acceptance of the peculiar institution, which having been around for thousands of years had at least a patina of normalcy about it, which we cannot begin to imagine.

It was also a time when servants, children, wives and petty criminals were routinely beaten, without any penalty at law, or in public opinion.

So for modern people to get all high and mighty, and utterly fail to put themselves in the place where our ancestors were in 1861, is silly and arrogant, in my view.

Excellent post and bears repeating before I add my comments. The slavery issue was a red herring and had little to do with the real cause(s) of the war. It was a class war, a war of envy against the supposedly "landed gentry" of the south and the proletarian, urban north, but the common Southener who owned no slaves for the most part, paid the price. By any measure, it was a sad and tragic time in our history. IT should have never happened, but one thing I am glad for is the country stayed in one piece. At least through the last election anyway. We're headed for some rough times ahead. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Particularly irritating is the liberal conceit that they, had they been around then, would have been among the tiny minority who saw the light before the rest of the society did so.

not bloody likely

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Particularly irritating is the liberal conceit that they, had they been around then, would have been among the tiny minority who saw the light before the rest of the society did so.

not bloody likely

Why, they were so appalled by slavery that they immediately banned slavery at the beginning of the war in such Union states as Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, West Virginia, Missouri & the District of Columbia and one can't forget those "Apprentices for life" New Jersians didn't keep down in the ol servants quarters.....

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Foxbat

not bloody likely

Why, they were so appalled by slavery that they immediately banned slavery at the beginning of the war in such Union states as Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, West Virginia, Missouri & the District of Columbia and one can't forget those "Apprentices for life" New Jersians didn't keep down in the ol servants quarters.....

Just thought I would also mention that West Virginia was (illegally) admitted to the Union in 1863 as a SLAVE state. Also, the Emancipation Proclamation also specifically exempted many southern parrishes of Louisiana as at that time this area was controlled by the Federal army and they were in fact themselves operating plantations with slave labor. Also interesting is the fact that when Lincoln was in the Illinois legislature, he supported Illinois law that specifically forbade blacks from permanently residing in the state. Also interesting that Lincoln proposed after his inauguration, but before the start of the war, a constitutional amendment which would have guaranteed the existance of slavery FOREVER in the states where it was then currently allowed in an attempt to return the then seceeded states and to prevent others from following. In addition a resolution was passed by the U.S. Congress in 1861 stating unequivically that the war was not being waged by the Federal government for the abolition of slavery. In an earlier post someone had alluded to a quote from Gen. Grant as to imply, but not actually state that the South fought for slavery which he supposedly abhorred. Funny thing is that, he being a resident of Missouri, kept his personal houshold SLAVES until the passage of the 13th Amendment outlawing the institution well after the end of the war. He is quoted to have replied when questioned about this: "good help is hard to find". Oh, yeah, another thing...someone also stated that the war was known officially as "the War of the Rebelion". This is incorrect. The U.S. Congress officially declared that it would be known as the "War Between The States" and also specifically declared all Confederate soldiers and sailors U.S. Veterans status same as that of Union veterans. Whether some like it or not, thirteen of the fifty stars on the current U.S. flag belong to our thirteen former Confederate States. We are a part of U.S. history, not just some other country the U.S. defeated in a war long ago.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Henry...

first welcome to the forums!!

Secondly, thanks for that bit of historical clarification..

it is stuff like that, that the liberal left love to sweep under the carpet..takes the wind out of their sails when they are trying to piss on the southern states...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of course race will always be an issue in America unless we let the minorities stand on their own two feet and contribute to society by working and paying taxes like the rest of us. Certainly not all are like this but our government has definetly created what seems to be a permanent underclass and are now adding mexicans to that feed bowl.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great post. And I second the welcome.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Just thought I would also mention that West Virginia was (illegally) admitted to the Union in 1863 as a SLAVE state.

Glad to meet you Henry, but I take issue with this part of your post. That is a gross mischaracterization of how WV came into being.

West Virginia did join as a slave state, but only after the state constitution put mechanisms into place that systematically dismantled slave ownership over a very short time period. Furthermore it was made illegal to bring any slaves into the state. In less than a decade after ratification the state constitution eliminated slavery. Many were freed immediately upon ratification. So to make it sound like WV in any way sympathized with or went along with the slave mentality is completely incorrect.

Not that West Virginians were shining examples of racial equality. That was not true when the state was founded, it was not true when I grew up there, and it is not true now. We have a unique culture that grew out of the early Scottish wave of immigrants to first settle up that part of the country. It was very distinct from, and at odds with, the plantation based economy of the less rugged portions of Virginia.

Rebel sympathizers held sway politically and tried to stop the state from seceding from Virginia. They were considered outside meddlers and were ran out of office only to return to power a few years after the war ended. Over the years locals were able to assume the reigns of power and start governing the state as the populace saw fit but a lot of damage was done and a lot of energy was wasted ridding our state of these guys. It is a fascinating history, but one that cannot be explained in one post on a forum... even if folks were interested in it and I'd guess they are not that gungho to learn. :p

The bottom line is that there were very, very few slaves in the state before secession. The economy was just not built for that kind of labor to succeed. And the almost entirely white population had a distinct culture that didn't mix well with that of most slave states. In no way shape or form can the circumstances surrounding WV's entry in the union be argued to support slavery.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
War is always about economics, without exception. We can wrap it up in all kinds of high and mighty concepts but the simple dictum of "Follow the money (ergo 'power')" will always lead us to the root cause of any infraction.

That being said, as someone with both Southern and Western roots I am proud of all sides of my heritage. But the past is the past. We ignore it at our peril, but our primary perspective should be to learn from it and not repeat mistakes. Unless we all view ourselves as Americans first, and State residents second, this noble experiment is doomed to failure. Together we have the power to change the world, hopefully for the better. Separately we cannot compete on the world stage.

We can disappear into our differences, or combine our unique strengths to pull ahead. Nothing easy about it, but hell, what's life without a few challenges?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Penguin
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Just thought I would also mention that West Virginia was (illegally) admitted to the Union in 1863 as a SLAVE state.

Glad to meet you Henry, but I take issue with this part of your post. That is a gross mischaracterization of how WV came into being.

West Virginia did join as a slave state, but only after the state constitution put mechanisms into place that systematically dismantled slave ownership over a very short time period. Furthermore it was made illegal to bring any slaves into the state. In less than a decade after ratification the state constitution eliminated slavery. Many were freed immediately upon ratification. So to make it sound like WV in any way sympathized with or went along with the slave mentality is completely incorrect.

Not that West Virginians were shining examples of racial equality. That was not true when the state was founded, it was not true when I grew up there, and it is not true now. We have a unique culture that grew out of the early Scottish wave of immigrants to first settle up that part of the country. It was very distinct from, and at odds with, the plantation based economy of the less rugged portions of Virginia.

Rebel sympathizers held sway politically and tried to stop the state from seceding from Virginia. They were considered outside meddlers and were ran out of office only to return to power a few years after the war ended. Over the years locals were able to assume the reigns of power and start governing the state as the populace saw fit but a lot of damage was done and a lot of energy was wasted ridding our state of these guys. It is a fascinating history, but one that cannot be explained in one post on a forum... even if folks were interested in it and I'd guess they are not that gungho to learn. :p

The bottom line is that there were very, very few slaves in the state before secession. The economy was just not built for that kind of labor to succeed. And the almost entirely white population had a distinct culture that didn't mix well with that of most slave states. In no way shape or form can the circumstances surrounding WV's entry in the union be argued to support slavery.

Will

Just guessing the "illegaly" part was due to:

"Article 4, section 3 of the Federal Constitution provides that "no new state shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislature of the states concerned, as well as of the congress.""

and the "slave state" part was due to all Union controlled areas being slave friendly.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the constitutional explanation is that Virginia at that time was either no longer a state, or "in rebellion" depending on one's sentiments, so the provision didn't apply.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well, on this 149th anniversary of the surrender of Fort Sumter, it's good to see the war rages unabated on the internet front.

I'm an SCV member, by virtue of an uncle in the 14th Tenn. Infantry, shot in the stomach at the Wilderness and died a month later in the Yankee [bleep] prison camp on Chesapeake Bay called Point Lookout. And he was an east Tennessee hardscrabble farmer who owned no slaves, but did leave a widow and three children behind.

This whole "the war was about slavery, no it was about states' rights, no, slavery, neener neener neener" thing has been done about once every four months for as long as I've been hanging around the fire, with no minds changed. It is really kind of pointless.

But, to all those morally superior Yankees....keep in mind that only a miniscule portion of the north supported abolition, and almost none supported the free movement of freed slaves into the North, much less allowing them to vote.

The western world was awakening to the moral unacceptability of slavery in the mid-19th Century. France had abolished slavery in its colonies less that two decades before....after reinstating it after it was briefly banned during the Revolution. Some of the other relevant dates:

1839 The British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society is formed to campaign for the global abolition of slavery.
1851 Slave trading is abolished by Brazil.
1858 Slavery is abolished in Portuguese colonies although all slaves are subject to a 20 year apprenticeship.
1861 Slavery is abolished in the Dutch colonies of the Caribbean.
1865 Slavery is abolished in the United States following the Civil War.
1886 Slavery is abolished in Cuba.
1888 Slavery is abolished in Brazil.

So the southern confederacy was not so benighted nor so different from the sophisticated Europeans, in their acceptance of the peculiar institution, which having been around for thousands of years had at least a patina of normalcy about it, which we cannot begin to imagine.

It was also a time when servants, children, wives and petty criminals were routinely beaten, without any penalty at law, or in public opinion.

So for modern people to get all high and mighty, and utterly fail to put themselves in the place where our ancestors were in 1861, is silly and arrogant, in my view.

Excellent post and bears repeating before I add my comments. The slavery issue was a red herring and had little to do with the real cause(s) of the war. It was a class war, a war of envy against the supposedly "landed gentry" of the south and the proletarian, urban north, but the common Southener who owned no slaves for the most part, paid the price. By any measure, it was a sad and tragic time in our history. IT should have never happened, but one thing I am glad for is the country stayed in one piece. At least through the last election anyway. We're headed for some rough times ahead. jorge

Have to agree with this. The Southern plantation owners and Southern slave owning politicians in Congress- indignant hot heads who would not do the fighting- lost their tempers that the future states and territories in the West would be declared free states and thus, would or might not continue their extravagant lifestyles on the backs of the black man. The anger between the Northern and Southern political contingents over this issue boiled over and war was the result.

The average Southerner fought because our land was invaded, certainly not for a rich slave owner or for the right to own slaves. Many Southerners fought for the North, for the Union, recalling the tales of suffering passed down through a recent generation of the sacrifices to create the USA.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by BarryC
Whether it was over slavery or not is unimportant.
What is important is that the southern states attempted to exercise their right of secession and were wrongly prevented from seceding.
+1

+1 here too.

Cole, you have a talented knack for poking at hornets
that's fun to watch! grin Most of the time I agree with your POV's too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have to agree with SteveNo,I was born here and I will die here, and I to had relatives that fought in the Revolutionary War and the WAR BETWEEN THE STATES, come live here for and then offer your take on it.
My family owned no one.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by BarryC
Whether it was over slavery or not is unimportant.
What is important is that the southern states attempted to exercise their right of secession and were wrongly prevented from seceding.
+1

+1 here too.

Cole, you have a talented knack for poking at hornets
that's fun to watch! grin Most of the time I agree with your POV's too.
Thank you my friend. Glad to oblige.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,193
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.