Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
[Linked Image]
Besides I like the cartridge box better. This one has been to Africa and back. LOL

Ah, the elephant packs. I had those with my first 460 grin

I wish Wby kept those packets as well as the tiger etc and also those catalogues they used to sell way back in the 60s,70s

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I agree with you all the way around. I've used the 378 for several years now and find both the cartridge and the Mark V to be fine performers. The performance of the Barnes TSX bullets is outstanding; the stories of viscious recoil largely exaggerated. In fact, if I had to choose one rifle and cartridge combination to hunt the globe, that would be it. Not perfect for many things, but perfect for anything.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be great if Barnes got off their buttocks and made a high BC TTSX for the 378 Bee instead of those cast-bullet BC look-alike TSX's!

Been begging for years now!

They got another e-mail from me this week. Once a month religiously!!!!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Fotis
It would be great if Barnes got off their buttocks and made a high BC TTSX for the 378 Bee instead of those cast-bullet BC look-alike TSX's!

Been begging for years now!

They got another e-mail from me this week. Once a month religiously!!!!

What seems to be holding Barnes back on this bullet? Lack of demand or lack of technical ability? I have zero issues with the 270 TSX to 400 yards or a bit further but it would be interesting to see what a true long range bullet would do out of the 378. It might surprise quite a few riflemen.

Good luck on your quest...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the US manufacturers have drawn the line at the 338 caliber. The TTSX, swift Scirocco, Interbond etc etc
Anything over they see as a close quarters hammer. Brown bear, buffalo etc.
That was the case of yesteryear but with the 378 Bee, the 375 RUM and others they need to offer something else to exploit the long range capabilities and power that these rounds can offer.
Heck I would even take a nice 375 300 grain VLD for most big game! And yes I asked for that too......many times.

Now if the get the GS Customs rolling here in the US then I am in! Can not really afford them shipped from South Africa.

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Perhaps with a dash of good luck we will see the bullets you seek offered for the 378. I'd like to try them myself and still have a few hundred of the Sierra 350 grain MatchKings to play with, though I wouldn't presume to hunt big game with them. I would imagine that eventually the big manufacturers will run out of other small calibers to play with and get around to the .375" stuff, maybe then Berger or Barnes will step up to the plate. Maybe it'll be Swift or Hornady.

Heck, maybe we could call Corbin and do it ourselves!

Last edited by Wbypoor; 11/08/10.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
North Fork makes a .375 caliber 350g soft point now. One of those at 2700 fps would certainly make an impression. They don't list ballistic coefficient but their bullets have a great reputation for expanding over the entire velocity range and holding together and still penetrating at very high velocities. They aren't cheap though ...

http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento/bullets/375-350-ss.html/

Last edited by colorado; 11/08/10.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder about the 350's? I can launch a 300TSX at 3000+ ft/sec, what would I gain by the change unless the BC is extremely high and can compensate for the weight gain. Probably to get any real world gain I would have to go to a 30+ inch barrel and then I wouldn't have a carry type rifle any more. For the moment I will stay with what I got because I know the 300 TSX are deadly on large game and do a fine job.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone looking for a Weatherby MkV Deluxe in 378? Brother has one of those for sale too, along with his 500 Jeffrey. Pm me if anyone is interested. The 378 has been modified with mercury tubes and had the finish dulled up.

Salmonhead
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado
North Fork makes a .375 caliber 350g soft point now. One of those at 2700 fps would certainly make an impression. They don't list ballistic coefficient but their bullets have a great reputation for expanding over the entire velocity range and holding together and still penetrating at very high velocities. They aren't cheap though ...

http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento/bullets/375-350-ss.html/

They pretty have the same BC;s as the swift A-frames which is to say mediocre at best

BTW I did e-mail Berger for a 300 hunting VLD. The ultimate LR elk gun!

GS Custom makes a 300 gr HV wit a BC of .475. I can easily launch this at 3100 fps. I just can not afford $140.00 for 50.

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E-mail from Barnes today!

Fotis

We have received a number of requests for a tipped .375 bullet, I would not be surprised if they came out with one for the new year.

Thanks,

Ryan Farr | Consumer Services
Barnes Bullets, LLC

I suggest they get a lot of email request for a tipped 375...... Help out fellas!

emailbarnesbullets.com grin

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Keep it up Fotis!

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am trying like hell!
Same for a Nosler e-tip and a VLD

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L'd try them out if they aren't 2 bucks a pop.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
You could try the Woodleigh 350gr VLD. Those are monsters!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I only have a .375 Wby, but if I had a .378 Wby, I would really want to try out the 350gr TSX, which has a B.C. of 0.425. I assume you could get about 2,700-2,800 fps out of it out of a .378, which would be pretty wicked against really big things.

...not to mention your shoulder and fillings.

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is the results of some of the 'old' 250 grain Barnes X's. I had bought about 400 of them as they were boattails. I had never seen them before and haven't seen them since. Bought them back in about 1994 or so. Unfortunately I am down to 11 rounds. They are backed by 144.5 grs of H4350 and of course Fed 215's. I am now reading and trying to decide what I am going to replace them with...
In all the years and elk I have shot the 250's I have only recovered one. It was on a bull that was quarterning away at 446 yards. It entered just outside the left hip and lodged about 10 inches from it's right ear. It weighed 236 grains and looked just like one of Barnes advertisement pictures.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ovishunter
Here is the results of some of the 'old' 250 grain Barnes X's. I had bought about 400 of them as they were boattails. I had never seen them before and haven't seen them since. Bought them back in about 1994 or so. Unfortunately I am down to 11 rounds. They are backed by 144.5 grs of H4350 and of course Fed 215's. I am now reading and trying to decide what I am going to replace them with...
In all the years and elk I have shot the 250's I have only recovered one. It was on a bull that was quarterning away at 446 yards. It entered just outside the left hip and lodged about 10 inches from it's right ear. It weighed 236 grains and looked just like one of Barnes advertisement pictures.
[Linked Image]

Holy cow! What cartridge was this in? Or is that a typo?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by boomer68
Originally Posted by ovishunter
[Linked Image]

Holy cow! What cartridge was this in? Or is that a typo?

Probably meant 104.5gr

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Typo, big time. 114.5 is what it should have read.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 38 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,143
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.