Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mannyspd1...............The 2 powders I exclusively use for my 375 Ruger are the RL15 and H-4350. Both are superb in my 375 Ruger Alaskan.

I doubt that the RL17 would make any significant velocity increases in the 375R, but we`ll see. But RL17 used in the short mags is a different story.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hillbilly,
The case capacity of the Ruger comes from being designed FAT, and square of shoulder, and the 375 H&H Long and tapered. The end result is they are very close to each other in case capacity for all practical purposes...but even a 100 FPS will not have any practical effect on their intended purpose..

I think you have made and excellent choice and I also believe the Rugers are the coming classic of big game calibers, they are well designed, they have more than enough punch to handle all that walks, talks, or crawls on this planet..Good hunting to you! smile I, on the other hand, have about 2000 rounds of loaded a 375 H&H, bullets and brass in abundance, dies, and a wonderfull old English rifle with load work and everything already done..It would not behove me to change now, but you never know, I have a tendency to get bored with rifles and peddle them for no other reason than to start all over! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK, next loads will be at

77 gr
78 gr
79 gr

I will be able to see if there is a sudden jump, stop and pull the rest, I think it will end up around 81 gr for 2800 fps+

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
sounds good..looking foward to the results. will you be able to post targets again? that would be great

Last edited by coyotewallace; 03/01/10.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by atkinson
Hillbilly,
The case capacity of the Ruger comes from being designed FAT, and square of shoulder, and the 375 H&H Long and tapered. The end result is they are very close to each other in case capacity for all practical purposes...but even a 100 FPS will not have any practical effect on their intended purpose..

I think you have made and excellent choice and I also believe the Rugers are the coming classic of big game calibers, they are well designed, they have more than enough punch to handle all that walks, talks, or crawls on this planet..Good hunting to you! smile I, on the other hand, have about 2000 rounds of loaded a 375 H&H, bullets and brass in abundance, dies, and a wonderfull old English rifle with load work and everything already done..It would not behove me to change now, but you never know, I have a tendency to get bored with rifles and peddle them for no other reason than to start all over! smile

Ray, you are a true gentleman.
I am envious of a true Enlglish rifle in the H&H for sure. Probably not in the cards for myself at this point however as they go for a little more then available to me right now. (Retired).
Would love to see it if you can post pics. Love the things.
But I do like my Ruger for the function it provides my type of hunting. If I fall down a mountain side and scare it all to hell, that's fine. I will cherish the war wounds. But if it were a fine ol rifle as you have, I may just cry! Thanks for the kind words Ray.
Best regards, Hillbilly

If you want to anger a conservative, 'Lie to him'; if you want to anger a liberal, 'Tell him the truth'!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great post. I just got my 375 Ruger and will be looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Most of what I've read so far recommends RL15. Woods - thanks for sharing!

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Woods,

Are you out shooting those RL-17 loads today? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have 18 cartridges ready for mine with RL-15 and the 270 grn. Barnes TSX, 6 loads each of 72, 73, and 74 grains, COL is 3.3" with the bullet seated just at the bottom edge of the first groove. This allows the case to be crimped over the bearing surface just into the groove for a better crimp.

I'm going to the range on Friday...if you don't have the data I may just load up some RL-17 and give it a go as well.

By the way, Alliant did get back to me...they said they have no data on RL-17 and the .375 Ruger, but that it should work well.

Manny

Last edited by mannyspd1; 03/14/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i just started 375 ruger development today using 300 grain hornady btsp's and rl-17. i tested to 81 grains w/ the bullets seated to maximum mag length: www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19464&PN=1

that's the data i have so far... more coming as i get more. so far, i am really liking rl-17 in this application.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Update

270 gr TSX seated .050" off the lands

77 gr RL17 - 2573 fps
78 gr RL17 - 2621 fps
79 gr RL17 - 2643 fps

Accuracy was good

[Linked Image]

Still no pressure signs, primers not flattened. Gonna keep going up 80 gr, 81 gr and 82 gr next.

Will advise.

BTW, RL17 is a super duper powder in 30-06

[Linked Image]

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
sounds good. Just got all my reloading supplies together. I'm going to start loading probley the end of next week. I got 270 TSX's and H4350.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hillbilly,
I can;t post pictures, I am lucky to post anything, my computer skills were wasted hunting buffalo in the bush..I would be glad to send you a picture of the English rifle to your email. I can do that.

For those that can't seem to get 375 H&H velocity out of their Rugers that may be a barrel thing, some barrels are fast and some are slow..but I bet you can get 2500 FPS out of any 375 Ruger and thats where I load my 375 H&H and its performed to perfection on all things mean and hungry. I have never understood the need to squeeze out every ounce of velocity from any cartridge as 100 or even 200 FPS isn't going to change a thinf in the field..I think it must be and American syndrome of bigger is better! not always! smile

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey Woods, I have been giving the 375 Ruger conversion of a standard-length .532 bolt face action (like 7 mag or 338 winmag) much thought. How do you find your Model 70 conversion to feed? Is it a classic (CRF) action or a pushfeed? Did your smith do (or need to do) any feed work?

I am following all the load development with high interest! Please continue the reports!

Texas

"It is just that we should be grateful, not only to those with whose views we may agree, but also to those who have expressed more superficial views; for these also contributed something, by developing before us the powers of thought." Aristotle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Texas,

I did the same conversion from a Win70 Classic Sporter (CRF) in 300Win Mag to 375 Ruger. The conversion was done by a gunsmith who posts on here as Redneck. The only feeding issue was the cartridge on the left side of the magazine would occasionally pop out on its own. The fix was to open up the top of the mag box where it angles in. That allowed the more bite from the feed rails. It fed perfect after that little tweak. There might've been more too it and if you want more info, just send a PM to Redneck.

The build ended up being 9 pounds, 2 ounces with Leupy DD mounts/ring, VXIII 1.75-6E and 3 rounds. Recoil was very tolerable for me especially with a 1" Pach Decelerator on the stock. If I was building another one, that would be my target weight. I only used Hornady's 270 SPRP and RL15. I got good MOA groups no matter the charge weight just an steady increase in MV.

A couple of things to know about my build and the 375 Ruger in general. Without modifying the mag spring, only 2 cartridges fit into the magazine. Supposedly you can remove the "hump" from the spring which allows a 3rd cart. Another observation on Ruger brass is that it seemed to be very soft. If the case mouth was not chamfered pretty heavily, the flat base of the bullet would slightly collapse the shoulder. It was not big deal but I've never run into that before when loading for a 375H&H.

YMMV but this is my views on the 375Rug and a M70.

RH

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for that info, RH. The donor in my thoughts is a Vanguard 338 winmag. I have a H&H, but the Ruger case intrigues me.

Texas

"It is just that we should be grateful, not only to those with whose views we may agree, but also to those who have expressed more superficial views; for these also contributed something, by developing before us the powers of thought." Aristotle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a push feed 70 in 264 win mag for $300.00 with the express purpose of rebarreling. I've had a 264 and definitely did not want this one with a sporter contour 24" barrel and head clearance of over .040". I used a gunsmith I have used before in Salt Lake City area and now my headspace on the 375 Ruger is .002". grin

Mine has a 24" Pac-Nor #5 contour 3 groove that is finished at 24". I am very impressed with the clean up on the Pac-Nor as compared with my other barrels from Hart, Brux and Douglas. I started breaking it in but with just some carbon on the first patch and the 3rd patch clean and white, I just started shooting it.

Like Texas I am finding the brass a little soft. Mine has no feeding problems. I have a Knoxx stock and it is heavy at almost 12 pounds. Easy to shoot though.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
One reason I think that I prefer the 375 H&H over the 375 Ruger is with the use of the 350 gr. Woodleigh bullets that I dearly love in the 375 H&H...I found they took up too much powder space in the .375 Ruger I built. So that may or many not be an issue with someone..Same applied with the 416 Ruger wildcat I built early on with the Ruger case necked up to .416..I like the 450 gr. Woodleighs a lot, soooooo...

short of that, there ain't hardly any difference in the two for my useage, action length is a non issue with me...

I think the 375 Ruger case is an outstanding development.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Here is my .375 Ruger...I put on a 2.5 X 8 Leupold instead of the 1.5 X 5.

Warne QD rings on order...yep, I'm left handed.

[Linked Image]

Manny

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
One reason I think that I prefer the 375 H&H over the 375 Ruger is with the use of the 350 gr. Woodleigh bullets that I dearly love in the 375 H&H...I found they took up too much powder space in the .375 Ruger I built. So that may or many not be an issue with someone..Same applied with the 416 Ruger wildcat I built early on with the Ruger case necked up to .416..I like the 450 gr. Woodleighs a lot, soooooo...

short of that, there ain't hardly any difference in the two for my useage, action length is a non issue with me...

I think the 375 Ruger case is an outstanding development.

Ray, Since the 375 Ruger is a larger case than the H&H I found that it worked fine for the 350 Woodleighs. Although I wasn't all that enamored with the Woodleighs as I have found them too soft for my tastes. but I am anxious to try the new ones with thicker jackets.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Great stock...where'd you get it?

Just got my Alaskan and I like the Hogue pretty well as a first impression. SUre ain't pretty like yours, though.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Leverite2,

The stock is a Ruger factory laminate stock.

Manny

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1234, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.