-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They will kill deer just fine. The Core-lokt is a great bullet -not too tough and not to thin. I know lots of guys that use the 175 grain becuuse they think heavier is better and they have always done well.....despite rifle loonies thinking the bullet is too heavy.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I agree 100% I may hand load for the target range but when it comes to the deer woods, Core-Lokt is VERY hard to beat. I have just never tried the 175's Thanks for the information. I might just give them a try.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
BF;

Lemme guess.... you're sub-25 years old, right?

Having shot more than a few deer in VA and NC, you don't need either a 7RM or a 175. The 140s and 150s work fine, as does much less in caliber/cartridge.

Do yourself a favor, and learn first; speak second.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Lemme guess, you think every one should shoot what you shoot.. Are you sub-25 years?

No I have not been 25 in as many years! I guess if you want to shoot deer with a 22lr be my guest! I have taken deer with about every caliber known in the US of A . What will kill a deer and what a shooter likes to shoot are two different things.

Shoot what you like, heck bow hunters shoot sticks at them and take meat home. No need to start kick'in dust around.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by BANGFLOP
Lemme guess, you think every one should shoot what you shoot.. Are you sub-25 years?

No I have not been 25 in as many years! I guess if you want to shoot deer with a 22lr be my guest! I have taken deer with about every caliber known in the US of A . What will kill a deer and what a shooter likes to shoot are two different things.

Shoot what you like, heck bow hunters shoot sticks at them and take meat home. No need to start kick'in dust around.

Try again, dipschit.

The list of what I haven't shot deer with, is a HELLUVA lot shorter than the list of what I have with.

You act like you're a kid, with the post and question, and the guess was made off that.

If you've taken deer with as much as you say you have, you'd likely have known what a 175 via the 7RM could/would do. Hint: it ain't rocket science.

Good luck figuring it out.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Yes, Every one knows if you poke a hole in a deer with anything it will......sooner or later die of blood loss or infection. You sounds like you found something that you liked and stuck with it. Thats great. Nothing wrong with that. Before I moved to NC, I had endless deer targets in Florida. I too had a favorite caliber, the little 243. I have a wall full of horns that fell to that little caliber. When I moved to CO. during my stint with the military, The elk were a little bigger than the Florida deer that I was use to hunting. Enter the 7mm Mag. That has been my primary round ever since. I have used a gun store full of different loads bullets and calibers AFTER I filled my freezer each year. Point being I KNOW what works and what don't. My post on the 175 was an inquiry for use on deer as it was a bullet weight I my self had not tried on game. But alot of people around here use. I was looking for other peoples opinion who had used this piticular load on deer and the results they got. Personally I like to watch my game fall with in a short distance after the bang be it 25 yard head shot or 500 yard hit in the air box. Something you could not always do with a lesser caliber

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have shot lots of different game w/ my 7mm mag w/ 175gr Core-Lokt. I live in Alaska and have taken moose, bear, caribou and a goat. The only picture I have semi-availabe is the moose on Black Ice Coatings web page http://www.blackicecoatings.com/Feedback_Form.html

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
if the 175 cl is accurate in your rifle, use it. you'll get a little more recoil, but if you can handle it, go for it. as others have stated, 150 and 160gr will easily take any deer anywhere. accuracy trumps bullet weight!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7 Rem mag is one of my favorites.
If it [bleep] thru a meat ass, the 175 CL will put it down. Go fill the freezer dude.

I'm an accuracy guy myself, sometimes head shots are all ya get.
You might have to put one up the 10 ring....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by duckster
Why would you need that heavy a bullet for deer in the 7 mag?

My thoughts also. I've never understood the logic behind buying a fast stepping round like the 7mm rem mag then loading so heavy a bullet that it brings it down to 7mm-08 speeds. Pick a good 140 grain bullet and load them to 3200-3250 fps then go shoot some deer. Any good 140 gr bullet will penetrate far in excess of anything required for deer.

Now on the other hand, if someone gave you a bunch of 175 gr core lokts and you just wanted to get rid of them then sure, shoot them at deer. They wouldn't be anywhere near my top choice for deer out of a 7mm mag unless that was the only thing the rifle would shoot well, then I'd probably rebarrel the rifle instead of being stuck shooting that bullet for deer.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7mm mag is a great caliber for just about everything, but IMHO the Core-Lokt bullets are crap, in my experiences (plural) they are very inconsistant weather they open up and explode or pencil thru and you start a hard tracking adventure? I went with 175 grain NP's and have been happy ever since. I didn't start out with the 175's, the 160's didn't group that well, and so after alot of different bullets, weights, the 175 NP's gave me -3/4 inch groups @ 100 yds consistantly. Good luck!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 175's are real accurate from my 7RM also. I don't hunt with it though so I don't know how they do on game.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
That looked like a good day! How far was you when you took him?
How long did it take you to get that moose out of there?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The last 175 grain bullet I would want to shoot deer with out of a 7Mag would be the nosler parition. Talk about a recipe for penciling through, I can't think of a bullet that is more apt to do so than that 175 NP. Regarding the Core-lokts my brother has over 100 deer to his credit with one bullet and one bullet only -the 140 grain 7mm out of a 7mm-08. I've witnessed multitudes of his kills and have killed deer with this load myself. These bullets are not crap, they are exceptionally reliable in their performance.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whether you're talking about Core Lokts or NP's, they have too good of a track record to believe that. I do agree that a good 140 in a 7-08 is some serious deer medicine.

Bangflop, I was kinda on your side until you started shooting 3/4 and 1/4" inch groups with store bought ammo. Are those groups of 1 or 2? smile FYI: I'm over 25.

Aim for the exit hole.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not saying the 175 Core-Lokt won't work, but if you want an opinion I'd say pick a Nosler or a bonded 160, work it up and point it at everything you want to hunt. IMO, the 160's are the cat's arse in the 7RM.

CLB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Used the 175 Core-Lokt, Nosler Partition and 175 Barnes X. They all resulted in dead deer and hogs. They all performed well but would not be my first choice, I was just burning up ammo from other hunts and they shot to the same point of impact as 140s and 160s.

These all would be good for come what may types of shots but the lighter bullets will kill more quickly in general. They are less destructive regarding meat loss but not always. Mostly use 160's for everything that I would use a big Seven on now.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
No, 3/4 and 1/4 are correct. Off the bench with the Remington 150 core-lokt I get about .750 most of the time, It will throw a flyer once in a while and throw one out of three and make it a 1.250 group at 100 yards. The 175's, I shot two 3 shot groups that measured .257 and .270. A little over 1/4" but close enough. Why?, what does yours shoot? I can think of at least 7 shooters at my range who shoot 7mm Rem mag with factory ammo and all shoot 1/2" or better at 100 yards. It seems to be normal to me.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
a 139 hornady, 140 nosler, a 140 berger. faster and flatter

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I was just looking at the 139gr interbond loading from Hornady.
Looks pretty good on paper. I have a local Hornady dealer next to me. Think I will see how they shoot next weekend.
http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-Rem-Mag-139-gr-InterBond/

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,480,987
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.