Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was doing a little research for this weekend and came across this little blurb about weather effects on turkey hunting and turkey populations. Some of it sounds like BS, some is pretty obvious. Interesting read none-the-less. Does this seem pretty true to you guys?

Linky

Deal with it.
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I believe weather plays a major role in turkey hunting success.

Rain and high winds seem to make them stop gobbling from what I have noticed.

Temp I think also, but have had success in colder than average days too so I dont think its too big a factor in success.

I seem to notice that the most gobbling I hear is on a warm sunny day with little or no wind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
agree with ya Tom!

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rain and wind make better spot and stalk ....

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very interesting article, I agree with most of it.

Where I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota, you have to add in snow.

Bad weather makes them go into what I call a survival mode. I have hunted the day after we have received over a foot a snow and the turkeys never left the roost. They would gobble at us, but wouldn't leave the roost. I have had this happen more than once.

I have also snuck in on gobblers in the roost during a thunderstorm, they would gobble at the thunder. A very neat experience.

I have called in turkeys in light rain, snow, and even called them across the top of snow that I had to post hole through to get anywhere.

So unless the weather is really horrible, I go hunting. But I am also dealing with Merriam's out here which are more vocal compared to Eastern's.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have a severe cold snap while hens are sitting or when poults are small, the success rate for those off springs to make it to maturity is slim... You'll have a bad hatch...

Same goes for a lot of rain and cool mornings after a hatch, many poults will die of the cold...

High Pressure, A Good Dew before dawn and low to no wind = gobbling in the spring...

Low Pressure, No dew before dawn and wind = poor to no gobbling in the spring...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Tom264

Temp I think also, but have had success in colder than average days too so I dont think its too big a factor in success.

I seem to notice that the most gobbling I hear is on a warm sunny day with little or no wind.

Pretty much what I see too. I do notice around here, in the rain and snow the birds like to hang out in the field a lot more.

Sunny cool mornings, we have lots of gobbles. If it's windy, they'll gobble real early, then shut down.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rain and wind can have an effect on how vocal birds are, if you have turkey hunted at all, you know that. That doesn't mean that birds will not work to a call if you set up in a spot that birds are comfortable being in. You can still get birds killed in inclement weather, although more difficult

If a bird doesn't act like the hunter wants them to, ie. come running to your calls....the weather is always easy for people to blame. Maybe you made a poor choice deciding where to set up, maybe you call too much, you call too loud, you move around too much, or you just don't sound anything like a turkey b/c you insist on using a diagram that you are not good at using anyway.

I very much believe the notion that rain after nesting and the "wet hen theory" does make hens more detectable and therefore easier for predators to locate. Egg-eaters like raccoons, skunks, possums and yotes can put a serious ongoing dent in the turkey population if not dealt with.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tom264

Agreed, but I have killed 2 of my bigger turkeys in hard rain, both on opening days and neither made a sound. I dont know if I was where they wanted to be or where they were passing by, one was 23 lbs with 1 1/4 spurs and the other was 25 with 1 1/4 spurs, both had 10 inch beards. I like rain.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Slower hunting on rainy and windy days seems pretty straight forward. Looks like I'll have a mix of it for the hunt this weekend. Clouds and rain on Friday, Clouds on Saturday, and Sunny and 70 on sunday. Should be able to make something work.

Deal with it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKBoater
Slower hunting on rainy and windy days seems pretty straight forward. Looks like I'll have a mix of it for the hunt this weekend. Clouds and rain on Friday, Clouds on Saturday, and Sunny and 70 on sunday. Should be able to make something work.

AK...what state are you hunting?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hitting Medford, OR this weekend. Meeting up with a friend of my dad that has access to some private land. Should be a good time. Now that my life has stablized and my dad is semi-retired we're trying to do a hunt together atleast once a year.

Deal with it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good for you and your dad, good luck.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I came up empty handed this season, but between time in the woods, I drove around in gusty wind and off and on rain mist. In this weather I saw numerous groups of gobblers strutting all over. The conditions didn't seem to bother them one bit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Getting pumped now. I'm sitting in Portland waiting on my Medford flight. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be Gobble, Gobble....... BOOOOM!!!!

Deal with it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can't do that in Pa. I've had guys sneak in on me calling and shoot at birds I was bringing in. Dangerous situation to be sure.

Bob257
7mm fan!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No luck yet. Had a bobcat walk by me last night. It was pretty neat. Sitting about 30 ft away. Watched it catch mice in a field for about 30 minutes. This morning we saw a nice Tom but it wasn't interested in what we had to offer. Ended up calling in a coyote first thing today. He was looking for a turkey for breakfast. He popped out of some brush about 20 ft away and was gone before I could get my gun on him.

Deal with it.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Weather effects the hunter far more than the bird. On some really bad days I've seen it where they won't leave a roost, but those days are few.

Folks seem to gauge it by gobbles, I know lots of guys that will be out of the woods if they don't hear anything, whatever. Remember, they ain't deer and they ain't going to go nocturnal on you and all you need do is be where they want to be, not where you think they should go.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all you need do is be where they want to be

That's 95 % of it right there.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had 3 days of heavy winds, 15 to 25 mph and then we got some of those 40 mile per hour gusts too. I don't mind a little rain now and then but those heavy winds just make it near impossible!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.