Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
What's a Tabata interval?

20 seconds of work (bodyweight squats are typical) followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat eight times if you last that long. The goal is not to pace yourself but turn it into a major suckfest (as in sucking huge quantities of air). About six rounds of aquats and I'm toast.

It is named for a Japanese speed skating coach who developed the training method.

GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by jockc
The mix and variety are great ideas, but if you are not getting enough intensity out of walking with a weighted pack, dial up the weight to 75 lbs plus. You can do hyper-intensive Tabata intervals when you really put the weight to your legs and core. I aim to break 100-120 lbs by late summer, and I weigh 165...I haven't found anything else quite as effective. Loading up your smaller stabilizing muscles seems to be the trick.

Jock,

The knee must be doing well!

Ed T

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by 280rules
Originally Posted by smokepole
What's a Tabata interval?

20 seconds of work (bodyweight squats are typical) followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat eight times if you last that long. The goal is not to pace yourself but turn it into a major suckfest (as in sucking huge quantities of air). About six rounds of aquats and I'm toast.

It is named for a Japanese speed skating coach who developed the training method.

Tabata intervals are the bomb for about any kind of training. I've used them in Spin class (cycling,) running and squats. It is amazing how long 20 seconds seems to last on the work interval and how short 10 seconds of recovery is.

Ed T

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ed, man, you're really showing your age here.

It's not "the bomb" any more, that's what old guys say.

It's just "bomb."

My sons told me that. But I'm gonna go out with the loaded pack tonight, maybe throw in some Tabatas at the gym tomorrow, and show those boys who's bombing and who's not.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Smoke,

Cool Man!

Oh wait, that probably dates me as well.

Ed T

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P90X...I trained for 9 months for an '05 dall sheep hunt in talkeetnas, ak...running up to 15 miles/week, stadiums w/ and w/o pack, packing incrementally up to 100#s for up 10 miles/week...I can say after finishing the 90 day program of P90X, I'm in better shape 5 years later in 1/3 time.

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nah, Ed, the knee is still sore and tight. I never went above 70 lbs pack training last summer, and then wondered why I felt so old carrying out a big quartered whitetail, head, and hunting gear in a 115 lb pack.

The first time I did Tabatas by running up a steep hill behind the house as fast as possible. At the end I thought I was going to throw up both lungs, which is the sign you are doing them right. As I got close to my house I could hear by 14 year old son laughing, laughing, laughing...

That P90X recommendation is a good one, too. Great way to mix it up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most people say "run" when they mean "jog." I run as fast as I can on the outbound leg (2.5 to 3.5 miles), rest a few minutes, then run back as fast as I can.

Today I ran on average 7:23 per mile. Down, in a little over 8 months, from an average 9 minute mile.

I also hike with a loaded backpack a few times a week. (It helps to eliminate faulty equipment before it gets into the field)

The point, I think is push your self as much as you can without getting hurt.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Most people say "run" when they mean "jog." I run as fast as I can on the outbound leg (2.5 to 3.5 miles), rest a few minutes, then run back as fast as I can.

Today I ran on average 7:23 per mile. Down, in a little over 8 months, from an average 9 minute mile.

I also hike with a loaded backpack a few times a week. (It helps to eliminate faulty equipment before it gets into the field)

The point, I think is push your self as much as you can without getting hurt.

Now do some deadlifts.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I "thought" I was in pretty good shape with 14% bodyfat and a VO2 max of 15.4 METS. But we did something called "Tabata this" a couple of weeks ago, with 90 seconds between the different exercises. It went like this:

sprints
squats
pullups (this was THE killer for me)
pushups (I made it 3 rounds before I started to hurt bad)
situps
consider vomiting smile

Other than the daily workouts it's walking the dog (4 miles daily), cycling to & from work (2 miles each way but only uphill 1 way), mountain biking, hiking, shed hunting, backpacking, packing out moose quarters and scouting for hunting season.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For me elevation has been hard to duplicate in training. I'm not in great shape, but work out on a treadmill and do some weights. Once I get up to altitude though everything is harder, even with aerobic exercise/training.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 257 mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,295
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.