Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've wanted one of his rifles for a while, found this one.

http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/forsale.htm
(Fourth from the top)

Overpriced? In the ballpark?

Anyone have an idea what Ottmar's rifles were selling for at Tulsa?

Thanks all.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is this the one?

[Linked Image]

"Maurice Ottmar custom rifle . Makers name on barrel , .270 cal, Double square bridge custom action, Custom scope rings, bottom metal and trigger , Figured French walnut stock, trap checkered steel butt plate , Fleur de lis checkering wrap around pattern. Inletted pedestalled bases New Leupold 2x7 matte, Serial # 0029 Light handling marks on wood otherwise excellent overall. Hunted little. LOP 14.0

$6750.00 USD - NEW LOW PRICE $5950 USD"

I would ask who made the action?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I believe that is an absolute steal! If I didn't have 3 rifles finishing up and 2 started I would jump on it.
Butch

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Yup, thats the one. I did ask, awaiting a response. grin

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Butch, thanks for that you enabler. grin

Seriously, appreciate your opinion, having seen a few of your customs.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Wow, beautiful rifle....and thanks for the link, a treat to look at all those fine guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would snatch it if I could.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Savage_99

I would ask who made the action?

Looks like a Grisel

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep,It's a Grisel action. I blew up the left side pic and it does say "GRISEL" on it.

It's pretty amazing that Ottmar rifle with a Leupold scope and mounts is only $500 more than the Cooper m52 Western Classic at th top of the page

Especially since the Cooper has American Walnut on it and the Ottmar rifle looks like it has either Naw Zealand or Turkish on it.

It would be hard to find a nicer Ottmar rifle.

Last edited by jim62; 05/03/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would jump on that one fast. Its an absolute classic in every sense of the word!! Also, Butch likes it wink

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Enlighten me fellas. What's a Grisel action?

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Heard back from Martini;

The action is #29 by Pete Grisel, double square bridge.
Rifle weighs in right at 7 lbs.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Doug,

It's the small ring double square bridged Maausr action Pete Grisel design and built in very ,very small quanitites in the mid 1980s before he founded Dakoto Arms with Don Allen.

Pete was the metalman/machinst in the partership.

You'd better hurry up and buy that damn rifle.

Give the fact it's a 7lb, Ottmar stocked ,Grisel actioned BEAUTY in .270, I am about to list a good portion of my gun collection for sale to buy it myself.

I'm not kidding ,either.. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Jim,

I've already made the arrangements. wink

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good for you!

A finer bolt rifle you will most likely never own.

To all gunmaker critics-
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'll be selling a few of mine....but I've been looking for a long time for an Ottmar in my LOP, in a caliber I like.

Jackpot!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Like I said, I am happy for your find..

I still think thnat out of all the rifles they have listed on that sight, that is one of the last ones I would have discounted like that.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is another picture of your spectacular Ottmar.

[Linked Image]

I was happy with some of the decent factory rifles and old 'customs' that I have. Then I came across a nicer one so I know how you feel now. Mine is no Ottmar but even then I hold it close.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One thing is for sure..

That rifle would have put a big smile on Jack O'Connor's face . ..

To all gunmaker critics-
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you closed the deal on this fine rifle...

My willpower was weakening...!

John

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You lucky dog. I am very envious!
Butch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To all,

What upscale scope would you suggest for such a rifle? The 2-7 Leu. is light and good looking however there may be better optics out there without it being too big. What do you say?

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
My Biesen wears a 3.5x10 Leupy, which replaced a 2.5x8 Leupy. Either of those would be hard to beat.

2.5x8 Conquest may be a winner as well.

Although the 2x7 Leupy is no slouch grin

3x9 Leupold Compact?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, that is a beauty!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
NY: Came to this late....my eye is pretty good as I guessed it a Grisel action,and as if you needed any encouragement (LOL!)the price is easily right. Glad you grabbed it.

I had an Ottmar 300 Win Mag on a Burgess 1909 action that was one of the best customs I've owned.You made a great snag and I'm certain you will be happy with it. wink Ottmar built fabulous rifles.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks fellas.

I'm still hoping someone can educate me on the Grisel action.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DIBS! grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
man, that is beautiful. price seems like a bargain.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Nice grab, sure to bring pleasure for years to come. A leupold 4x always looks good atop a classy rifle like that. I hope you enjoy some great days afield with it; I'll keep an eye out for your pictures.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Congratulations on owning a rifle by one of the finest craftsman who ever lived and who was a first class person to boot. He remains one of my all time favorite smiths because he could do so many styles so well. There is a great void in Central Washington since he passed away. frown

Wonder how big the person was who this rifle was made for seeing it has a 14.0 inch length of pull? I'd probably leave that 2-7 on the rifle if it were mine. It's a nice scope in a small package.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks Larry. I'm 6ft 1", 14" LOP fits about perfectly.

Matter of fact, Bob and I were discussing glass yesterday.

I was leaning toward a Z3 in 3-9 or 3-10, however the eye relief is a mere 3.54" (Which is constant over the entire range of magnification according to Swarovski).

I'm now leaning toward a Leupy in 2.5x8 or 3.5x10, but I'll wait until the rifle is in my hands and I'll probably give that 2-7 a chance to prove itself.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 05/12/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've lusted for an Ottmar rifle for years. Never will have one unless I can figure out how to win the lotto. Absolutely beautifully smithed. It is amazing what can be done with steel and wood.

More pics are mandatory smile .

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
NY,

One aspect of that whole Ottmar/Grisel ensemble is the fact that it really is a "time machine".

While is is not 60 year old antigue like a pre war m70 etc, it is now a gun of a certain time period which can never be replicated again.

Maurice Ottmar has now gone to that "Big Gun Guild show in the Sky", and Pete Grisel is no longer making those smll ring Mauser actions.

Based on the action and the stock styling, I would put that rifle in the late 1980s/early 1990s era, making it about 20 years old.

I bet that 2-7 Leupold is of that same era, probably mounted new when the gun was completed. It is most likley the scope the client picked to mount on that gun.

If it even comes CLOSE to doing what you need for that rifle optically, I think it would be a shame to change it.

Last edited by jim62; 05/12/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The late Maurice Ottmar was indeed a top drawer stocker and 'smith; you did well on that rifle. When Champlin Arms turned out its own actions and rifles, Ottmar did most of the stocks. You will also find that the closer you look at his workmanship, the better it will look. The Biesens' rifles are that way too...

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
The first Ottmar I saw was at Hallowell's when he was in Greenwich, CT. The rifle was in .30-06, and priced at 3,500 IIRC. I was in college at the time, it might as well have been 10K. I've been looking for one in my LOP ever since, this one was more appealing when I learned a bit about the Grisel action. (Jim: you are quite right about the rifle being a "time machine"!!)

GF, I have a Biesen in .270 (pre-64 natch) so I may have the .270 covered.

Unless anyone has a Bolliger or Miller decently priced? grin

Last edited by nyrifleman; 05/12/10.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I bet that 2-7 Leupold is of that same era

Probably not. Based on the style of the lettering on the side of the adjustment housing, the +/- diopter markings on the ocular assembly and the protruding bump on the power change ring I believe that's a recent vintage VX-II.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I added that scope last year. It was my rifle which I traded to the owner of Luxus Walnut for a Mark Moon custom in 375 H&H which you can see pictures of on LUXUS Gallary page. When I got the rifle it had an older Redfield scope on it that I changed to the Leupold, which is IIRC about two years old.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It looks good on there, doesn't clutter up the rifle.

J
J
Hi everyone, my name is Jeff and I am very new to this forum. I recently acquired a very, very nice Model 70 winchester chambered in 220 Swift that has the inscription "M. Ottmar - Gunmaker" written on the barrel. I am trying to research the gun and the maker. I live in Southeastern Washington State and it seems that Maurice Ottmar lived just Noth of me in Coulee City. any help that anyone could give me on my new rifle would be greatly appreciated. This is not your average run of the mill custom. This rifle is Very Nice. If I knew how to post some pictures here I would. thanks, Jeff

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Maurice only did top of the line work. We need photos.
Butch

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is it difficult to import a rifle bought from them into the US? Does Martini & Hagn manage the importation on a US sale? Thanks

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
J
Thanks Butch, I have some photos I just took and but am not able as of yet to figure out how to post them here. Do you know how I do this? thanks, Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you E-mail them?

J
J
Sure, I can email them. My sister took a bunch of pictures and sent them to my computer so attaching them to an email is no problem. Let me know where to send them. Thanks, Jeff.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Wildcatter,

Martini can arrange for import into the US. In my case however, it was unnecessary, as the rifle resides in Oregon.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 06/20/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here are the pics:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
J
Thanks for posting my pictures for me.... If anyone can give me any information on the above rifle and perhaps a value, I would very much appreciate it. Here is what I know. It is a Model 70 Winchester, circa 1957, custom built by Maurice Ottmar. The Gun is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and has "M. Ottmar -Gunmaker" inscribed on the barrel. There appears to be either an insert or sleeve in the barrel or perhaps that is just the way it was crowned. The bore is very shiny and nice. I have more photos if anyone would like more detail or info. The gun is from an Estate sale, recently purchased here is South Eastern Washington state. Thanks, Jeff

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jeff: That Swift of yours is a beauty......!

J
J
Thanks, Do you know anything about the builder or Value?

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jeff, that is a beautiful rifle! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jeff,I'm afraid I don't except in general terms. I had an Ottmar 300 Win Mag with all metal by Tom Burgess on a 1909 Argentine mauser for awhile.....so,I have a general idea, but that is it...You should have it professionally appraised for the best answer, I think.

J
J
I see, I was just hoping that someone here on the site might know. I am looking to sell the rifle also. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen four or five in the last three years for sale. A .404 that went for about 8K,couple of .30-06 in the $4000 range,the others I don't remenber?? There is a .358 Norma mag at Cabelas..
Here's a link...maybe this will help.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...inm70ottmar_whe.jsp?categoryId=SEARCH_gl

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

J
J
Thanks, That is interesting. What research I have done and the info I have found indicates that most of Ottmars work was limited to stocking. Does that sound right? But on this gun he is the Gunmaker and it is stated as such on the barrel. This is the first rifle I have seen that bears his name on the barrel as the Gunmaker. Comments?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, go over to AccurateReloading and go to the gunsmithing forum and contact Customstox, he was a very close friend of Ottmat and should be able to give you a very good idea of value.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

J
J
Thanks I will. Is Customsox loacted in Washington state ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes he is over on the dry side, just can't remember the town.Send me a PM and I will try to get you contact info.

Sent a PM with all the contact info.

Last edited by jimmyd223; 06/22/10.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jeffcycle
What research I have done and the info I have found indicates that most of Ottmars work was limited to stocking. Does that sound right?

Ottmar was a talented metalsmith as well as stockmaker. He used a lot of Half Moon hand lapped cut rifled barrels on the projects he metalsmithed. He went through the Gunsmithing program in Trinidad during the same time that Pete Grisel, "Boots" Obermeyer, and Ed Shulin did.

gunmaker
------------------
J
J
That is interesting because the barrel appears to have some sort of insert or sleeve. Is this possible ?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
not likely.

gunmaker
------------------
B
B
Hello all,

I am the granddaughter of the late and great Maurice Ottmar. Reading all your wonderful comments about Grandpa has brought me to tears and am I so so proud to be called his granddaughter. I would love to talk with any of you who have stories about him, pictures of him. My family own a few guns Grandpa made for each of us along with my hunting knife he made for me on my first hunt back in 1990. I know all of us would love to talk with you about him, his work, his great adventures.

I look forward to hearing more!

Brandi Ottmar Maes

He made a few guns.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He was a genius with walnut and steel.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Brandi,
David Christman in Louisana gives all the credit for his stockmaking ability to Maurice. David is one of the most talented American Custom Gunmakers Guild stockmakers. He said Maurice was so patient with him and was always a very kind and considerate gentleman.
You are very lucky to have such a fine Grandpa.
Butch

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
How can you identify his rifles? I have a Pre-64 Model 70 375 H&H with all the bells and whistles I have been told is by his making. Thanks.

Last edited by vixen; 08/14/16.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.