Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Is the 220 to heavy for the 308 for short range elk and bear hunting?

Heck no they arent too heavy for what you want to do with them. One of my favorite bullets for that work is a 180 gr. round nose in a 270 Win. The things look like torpedoes and they drop em dead.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did it with an -06 years and years ago. My uncle was convinced they were better "brush busters" than anything else out there.

I do know that round nosers seem to whack them pretty hard. They even sound different on impact... Its a deeper pitched 'THWOCK' than you get with spitzers.

Oh, it kills big Muleys and Whiteys just fine. Never got around to trying them on Elk and Bears.

Also, it seemed in my limited sample of 10 or so critters that there was less bloodshot meat, if thats a concern.

Here in Montana, I hunt Elk and Bears with good Ol' Schoo' 165 grain Partitions laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Steelhead
He's good at that, typical California bullshitt. Ask him anything about Alaska, he's a wealth of knowledge there, especially bear charges.

Humm, a 220gr Nosler in a 308 for bear protection whilst out tramping around or fishing. Wonder if that might work, Bigsquish?
...........Ya know what Steelhead? You are quite the big im-mature azzhole!!! Get your butt down here and open up your mouth right in front of my face! It will be re-arranged for you before you`ll even know it!!!...Guttless clown!!!

Not one to bring my butt to some dude from California asking for it. Have fun in San Fran this weekend cupcake.
.........Like I say, you`re guttless and im-mature! I`m 400+ miles south FROM San Fran. Your geography among many other things, also needs to be improved.

C`mon down! You`ll be "pleasantly" surprised. A cupcake like you`ve never had before!

I taught "arts" for 22+ years. Ya know,,,those arts!! My ex partner and I (still friends btw) owned 4 "arts" studios from `81 to `03. Let`s see now. We taught fingerpainting, air brushing, and all kinds of "arts."

As our students progressed, they recieved "belts" of different colors!!!

So c`mon down Steelhead!!........You`ll go back home with a new respect for,,,,,,a Calif cupcake!

Compelling, guess you didn't know you could drive or fly to San Fran ass wipe. I do like your use of the word 'partner', I bet he was REAL nice. What a POS you are.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mr. Steelhead!!!

I wish that someday or somehow, you`ll have the opportunity to express your many insults about me up close and in person.

On this thread, I stated nothing to warrant or deserve your comment about me in your earlier post. You of course, exaggerated and deliberately lied about the claim, that I somehow have a "wealth of knowledge" about Alaska, bear charges and otherwise, when I never made any such claim or commented as such. Where is that quote from me? Let`s see it!!

Your added insults about me having fun in San Fran (been there only four times only at the airport for lay-overs), me being a Calif cupcake, a POS, your additional comment about my ex-business partner and good friend and all the rest of it, are nothing more than a very clear indication of the fact, that you have never quite grown up!

You are very boyish, extremely im-mature, someone who obviously cannot engage in any real mature debate and someone who intentionally twists things around and lies just to satisfy his own little agenda. And by doing so via your insults, you really think that you are getting the best of me??? If anything, all you are really doing is making a bigger azz out of yourself and not me which is your real intention.

It is real easy to type insults, exaggerations and lies on a keyboard to someone who is hundreds or thousands of miles away. It is quite another to say these same insults directly to one`s face. That is an opportunity Steelhead,,,that you will never, never, never, ever, want to ever have with me my friend!....Never!

So from now on, if you happen to read something posted by me that you happen to disagree with, can you keep your insults to yourself?? Because I don`t intend on lowering my standards down to your level and follow you around on different threads and making similar comments to you or about you!!!

So let`s end all this now and simply put each other on ignore shall we!! Can you do that?? Or is that too difficult for you??

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Steelhead or BigSqueeze;

do the rest of us really need to be exposed to all of this??

if you guys have any differences, how about ironing it out on your own, instead of flooding and corrupting the thread with personal slanders and innuendos? the rest of us really don't long on here to listen to this type of BS...

I am sure you are both decent guys... so how about working out your differences as decent guys, instead of like a bunch of 3rd graders on a playground...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
Steelhead or BigSqueeze;

do the rest of us really need to be exposed to all of this??

if you guys have any differences, how about ironing it out on your own, instead of flooding and corrupting the thread with personal slanders and innuendos? the rest of us really don't long on here to listen to this type of BS...

I am sure you are both decent guys... so how about working out your differences as decent guys, instead of like a bunch of 3rd graders on a playground...

+1...Thats what I was trying to say earlier. Thanks Seafire

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I haven't shot 220gr out of a .308 yet, but i would think a little testing to make sure it is stabilized out to your max working distance would be called for. IIRC most .308s are 1/12 twist.....which may or may not stabilize the 220gr RN....just some food for thought. that is why most 30-06 are 1/10 twist...so they can reliably stabilize the heavier bullets. the military went with a 1/11.25 twist to stabiliz the 175gr SMK....which i would think is close to the minimum twist required for the 220gr RN.

advntrjnky

8mm-06 = perfection
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
a good 165gr (accubond, partition, innerbond, TSX, etc) will tip moose (never shot an elk) and black bear over just fine our of a 308. seen it happen many times from 10 to 300yrds. don't see the reason why you'd want to go to a 220... but if you HAD to, I'm sure it would work just fine. 174gr @ 2400fps (303brit) kill moose and bear just fine out to 200yrds.

The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by advntrjnky
I haven't shot 220gr out of a .308 yet, but i would think a little testing to make sure it is stabilized out to your max working distance would be called for. IIRC most .308s are 1/12 twist.....which may or may not stabilize the 220gr RN....just some food for thought. that is why most 30-06 are 1/10 twist...so they can reliably stabilize the heavier bullets. the military went with a 1/11.25 twist to stabiliz the 175gr SMK....which i would think is close to the minimum twist required for the 220gr RN.

advntrjnky

I suggest you eread my post concerning my experimentation with 220 gr. bullets in the .308. Results, especially withthe 220 gr. Sierra round nose were a complete surprise. Velocity was only 90 FPS slower than factory advertised speeds for the 30-06 with the same bullet weight. Seems to me that should be sufficient for the ranges one normally shoots a 220 gr. bullet. IIRC, it was W.D.M. Karamojo" Bell who once opiced that the perfect (for him) elephant gun just might be the .308 Win. with FMJ 220 gr. bullets at 2250 FPS.
I know about the 30-06 and the 1 in 10" twist being standard yet IIRC, at one time I believe it was Browning that used a 1 in 12" twist in their 30-06 rifles. The late Jack O'Connor had a 30-06 with 1 in 12" twist and thought it to be just fine with all bullet weights. As I am one who probably shoot about 100 cast bullets for every jacketed bullet, I had a commercial FN Mauser that had a badly corroded barrel rebarreled with a 1 in 12" barrel for cast bullet shooting. When the controversy showed up again by a gun writer who stated that 220 gr. bullets would not be stabilized by a 1 in 12" twist, I loaded up and shot some in my rifle which has a 24" 1 in 12" Douglas barrel built for me by the late Cal Albright back around 1975 or 76. Groups ran right at 1.25" at 100 yards and right at 2.0" at 200 yards. Again, so much for all the BS about a 1 in 12" twist in the 30-06. No my comments stand using 220 gr. round nose bullets. When it comes to the somewhat longer 220 spitzer and spitzer boat tail types, I might tend to agree that they might not stabilize. With bullet and powder prices what they are today, I'm not sure I want to spend the bucks trying to prove that one way or the other.
I do think that the 220 gr. Spitzers would be too long in a .308, and if they did work in the 30-06 that they would be borderline. JMHO.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
PJGunner

I didn't mean to sound contrary. My only point was that a 220gr RN in a 1/12" .308 should probably be verified (at distance) as being adequately stabilized before being relied on for possible dangerous game.

8mm-06 = perfection
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I loaded some 220 RNs to 1050 fps in my 1/12 308. They were about 2 moa accurate at 100 yards, and wobbling into the target.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

At 2400 fps they were fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Husqvarna 30-06 rifles come standard with 1:12 twist barrels. I have owned at least a dozen of them over the years, still have two, and they all handle 220 gr loads without any problem at all.

Ted

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
this is some good info guys. thanks! I'm not apprehensive about trying the 220 rn now.

advntrjnky

8mm-06 = perfection
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What about a 308 with a 1-10 twist?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You seem to have a lot of built up anger. As a teacher of "arts" you'd think you'd know how to deal with that.

All of the "arts" classes I've had, you know, the one's with the colored belts... Taught us to remain calm in these types of situations, and not be the agressor and instagator. You must have missed that part in your calss huh?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amen to that !

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by advntrjnky
PJGunner

I didn't mean to sound contrary. My only point was that a 220gr RN in a 1/12" .308 should probably be verified (at distance) as being adequately stabilized before being relied on for possible dangerous game.

Good point only I doubt I'd be shooting at dangerous game at extended ranges. Probably would be more like up close and personal. grin
My point was you keep hering gunwriter BS that you can't get good rsults from a .308 with the heavier bullets because of not nough velocity and two, a 1 in 12" twist will not stabilize those bullets. Apparently, at least in my rifles I have proved to my satisfaction that those comment just are not true. I will concede that most likely the longer spitzer 220 gr. bullet won't work in a 1 in 12", at least until I can load up some and try them. I honestly expect those will probably keyhole, maybe even at 100 yards. But then I follow Sierra's caveat to not use Matchkings for hunting. Who know? I might be surprised.
It's just that I've heard so many times over the years that this won't work or, you can't do that that these days, just for the hell of it I try and see if I can do this or that. Most of the time I can't but some of the time? Surprise, it can be done. Nothing more than satisfying my own curiousity.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I agree about the mis-information, which sucks because i don't have unlimited funds to test it all for myself......I wish companies would just tell us the tested/verified min. RPMs needed to stabilize their bullets. after that it's just doing some math to decide on component/load development start points.

advntrjnky

8mm-06 = perfection
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tzone
You seem to have a lot of built up anger. As a teacher of "arts" you'd think you'd know how to deal with that.

All of the "arts" classes I've had, you know, the one's with the colored belts... Taught us to remain calm in these types of situations, and not be the agressor and instagator. You must have missed that part in your calss huh?
................Tzone........After my last post nearly a week ago on the 9th, I would have thought this would have ended with no further comment from anyone. I guess not uh? It seemed to be going that way until today!

Perhaps you need to go back and re-read the thread, starting with Steelhead`s first comments about me as well as his other insults down the line.

I don`t consider my comments, as you seem to think, as "built up anger." I instead, consider them as not only defending myself, but challenging my accuser with his deliberate exaggerations and lies as well. If you think my comments were an anger build up on my part, then the only thing I can do is to tell you that you are mistaken!

And btw, I can deal with anger very well. Given my background and experience, I have no other choice!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've tried quite a few powders with 220s in the 308. RL17 has probably produced the best velocity with the least signs of pressure. In the rifle in which I tried it, velocity exceeded factory 30-06 220 velocity (2,420 fps). Barrel was 22"

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.