Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Okay.... This is starting to get serious. I just lined up a deal on a 700LA stainless action.

Where the hell does a guy get brass, and dies for one?

I'm almost thinking about doing a 9.3/375 Ruger instead...

I'm thinking a 286 grain Partition at 2600 FPS is Big Medicine... I'm also thinking that I'm leaning towards the 9.3 for the same reason I like 6.5's laugh

In talks with my gunsmith, he thinks 7 1/2 Lbs all up on a 700 action is quite do-able, and should provide a great platform for testing scopes and my tolerance for shoulder pain.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
HR IC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hey Dan, I found a guy in Canada that has 200 rounds of RWS 9.3x64...his price is $2.00 per round. If you are still interested, pm me and I'll send you the info.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Okay.... This is starting to get serious. I just lined up a deal on a 700LA stainless action.

Where the hell does a guy get brass, and dies for one?

I'm almost thinking about doing a 9.3/375 Ruger instead...

I'm thinking a 286 grain Partition at 2600 FPS is Big Medicine... I'm also thinking that I'm leaning towards the 9.3 for the same reason I like 6.5's laugh

In talks with my gunsmith, he thinks 7 1/2 Lbs all up on a 700 action is quite do-able, and should provide a great platform for testing scopes and my tolerance for shoulder pain.

Brass may be somewhat problematic but shouldn't be impossible to find. Check with Quality Cartridge for one. I recently saw that they may be doing a run later this spring/early summer. You may also want to check with Huntingtons. They may have some (RWS even) on hand or at least have access to it. You can also order brass directly from some places (retail outlets, not factories) in Germany. This is surprisingly easy to do and, if you're willing to spend the $$$, you can get a hold of some really high quality brass that you just can't find here.

Dies shouldn't be much of a problem, although you may need to have RCBS make a set up for you. Check all the usual suspects - Grafs, Huntingtons, Natchez, Mid-South, etc as they may have a set on hand. Same with the shell-holder.

Just curious - what size bolt-face does the action you're planning on using have? Most likely you already know this but, in case you don't, that 9.3 Brenneke has that wacky rim dimension, somewhere between the standard and magnum. Not too big a deal but definitely something to keep in mind. There's a lot of those cool Euro metrics that don't have standardized rim measurements.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Maybe you thought of this, but why not the 9.3x66 (370 Sako).

Brass and dies, though pricey, are available from Z-Hat

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my first brass from Huntington and the rest from Martini out of Canada. I also bought some factory RWS ammo from a guy on another forum. Both of my rifles shoot the factory ammo better than any reload so far. But I have not worked real hard on developing loads. My dies & shellholders came from Huntington's. I really like my pair of 9.3x64's, but it truly is a Looney cartridge.

As long as you go into the project with full knowledge, you won't be disappointed.

From a practical standpoint, a x62, or a 375Ruger would serve just as well.

But the Brenneke has an appeal that I personally enjoy.

I also think the recoil may be a little stout with thatweight rifle.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Maybe you thought of this, but why not the 9.3x66 (370 Sako).

Brass and dies, though pricey, are available from Z-Hat

Because after Fred moved to my neighborhood, he proved to me (beyond a reasonable doubt) that he's a friggin Whackjob.

It don't take a degree in rocket science to figure out that 4D reamers and Z-Hat are the same guy, and he thought I was the Man From Uncle when I pointed that out.

http://www.z-hat.com/Payment.htm
http://www.4-dproducts.com/

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did know that the Brenneke has its own diameter rim thats between a .473 and belted mag... But thats an interesting point. What would a guy use for an extractor?

I'm Irish...

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both of mine are built on matters. VZ24 & an Argentine, smith just had to open them up, just not as much as a magnum case.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Actually, if you wanted to shoot only handloads, you could turn down the rims on the 9.3x64 brass from .493" to .473" and use a .30/06 bolt face and extractor. This would, of course, negate the use of factory loads.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In looking around the net, a box of 20 factory loads runs over 100 bucks...

It won't see any factory ammo...

CRS, I could see how a guy could modify a claw type extractor for any diameter rim, but a 700 SUCKS might have an issue there frown

I'm Irish...

IC B3

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd say you might be looking at the M-16/Sako extractor.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
True...

But in all the 700's I've ever built, I kind of pride myself in never having needed a different extractor than what comes stock. Not running loads over pressure, and having a gunsmith that knows how to chamber a barrel have never made me need a better extractor...

I'm Irish...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about the 9.3x62? Easier lighter build(30-06 action, brass everywhere) & it packs a punch that is quiet pleasant on the other end.

I'm a 338 man myself, but the more I shoot my 93 the more I love it!

Taking my rifle for a walk
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Easiest way to a Brenneke would be to buy a CZ in x62. Rechamber, work the bolt face, tweak the feeding.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 9.3x64 back around 94 or so, think I got brass from Old West?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dan,

A few years ago, An acquaintance at a gun show gave me 19 rounds of 9.3x64 once fired brass. (He knew I was interested in such things... smile )

Finding dies was as easy as walking into a gun shop and asking the proprietor for same. ('Course I did hedge my bets a bit by walking into Dieter Sturm's shop... smile ) I would think that dies are as easy as calling RCBS. And brass as easy as calling Huntingdon's, as last I knew, they were importers/distributors for RWS.

The above notwithstanding... It do seem a bit chancy to build a rifle with only one source of brass... blush

That said, I want one as badly or worse than you... smile

Edw

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having been there and done that with the 9.3x64 I'd no doubt build a 375 Rugger instead

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Having been there and done that with the 9.3x64 I'd no doubt build a 375 Rugger instead, Dober

Dober,

Nothing wrong with being practical! smile And I agree that the above makes much sense....

That said, however; Practicality does not govern our wishes, wants, and desires.... grin

As good as the .375 Ruger is, I own a .375 H&H C-grade, Safari that I refuse to part with... Thus; that more than covers any use I have for a .375... (Which is none at all... since I only hunt deer. smile ) Kind of makes me wonder why I'm working on a .376 Steyr.... blush grin smile

(And besides, I need a 9.3x64 'cuz I have 19 rounds of brass and the dies...)

Edw

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear you, aside from a 223, 270 and 375 it's all wants and not needs....grin

Dober

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is why I stated above that it is a looney cartridge. But it does have a certain panache about it.

The 375 or x62 is certainly more practical.

The last time I talked to Huntington, he could not get just the brass any more. I have some from Buffalo that is 458 brass with the Belts & rims turned off.

RWS is supposedly importing loaded ammo, but not in the x64 Brenneke that I could find.

Last edited by CRS; 05/10/10.

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.