Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4072465 05/10/10
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I'm gonna be getting my SIL one and although I'll probably ask him which grip he prefers I'm wondering which one y'all like best,pistol or straight? Just seems to me a straight grip and the .45-70 don't mix well. I don't know.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have 3 - 45-70 rifles. One is a Shiloh Sharps, one is a Rolling Block and one is the Marlin 1895 Cowboy. All have the straight grip. Don't know that I really have an opinion for or against straight vs pistol grip, that's just what I have and they don't seem to bump me any harder than my 30-06 or shotguns w/ pistol grips. If you were giving me a gun, I'd be tickled pink whichever it was, but, unless it's a "surprise" gift, just ask him if he has a preference. Might as well get some of his "skin in the game".

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Oh he's already involved. He's wanting the blue/wood 18"bbl Guide Gun which has the straight grip. Trouble is,neither of us has shot a big bore lever of either grip configuration so I told him I'd get some experienced opinions here.
Your saying that to you grip style doesn't seem to matter as far as recoil goes. That's GOOD info. That should also mean no diff in control and handling in general. THANKS

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've had several, both ways, my preference is the pistol grip. It's a more natural grip and it helps you to hold on if you decide to use some of the heavier loads. I'm not sure where you are located but lots of people who get the blue decide they want the stainless.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
We're in WV,Cj. We've talked SS but he LIKES his blue/wood and, as he says,the Marines taught him how to take care of his weapon. It would be nice to shoot one of each but neither of us knows anyone that has either. Best we can do is handle them at the gun shop. I understand what your saying about the natural grip and it's advantage. That's kinda what I thought just lookin at them.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A pistol grip gives somewhat more control over hot loads, but the straight grip (to me) allows for quicker sight acquisition and handling.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My XLR I bought from Cariboujack. Mine with a couple of modifications.... I love it.

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading this it occured to me that someone might make a few dollars if they offered aftermarket stock/lever combos so that folks could switch back and forth

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sure liked the looks of the one Shane aka Montana Marine bought awhile back.

I've got SS and a parkerized GG, both have straight grips, but I'm horned up to get one of those little bastids Shane got, so I can give an informed opinion in the future. IIRC his had a pistol grip

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
NICE rifle and pic,Eh.

GOOD idea about after market parts,Tracks.

It seems that from the replies I've gotten,from here and a couple other forums,the general consensus is that there are no downsides to either grip. It's just whatever works for you. So if it comes down to individual taste I LIKE the 1895 Classic!

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I had a straight grip 1895 long ago, and a pistol grip now. I like the looks of the straight grip, but prefer the ergonomics of the pistol grip.

Tracks, I don't think you could swap stocks/loops just like that. I believe there is also a difference in the shape of the metal.

Here's the 1895GBL I recently bought.
[Linked Image]

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
FINE lookin rifle!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I had a straight grip 1895 long ago, and a pistol grip now. I like the looks of the straight grip, but prefer the ergonomics of the pistol grip.

Tracks, I don't think you could swap stocks/loops just like that. I believe there is also a difference in the shape of the metal.

Here's the 1895GBL I recently bought.
[Linked Image]

my wife is sooo hatin you!

dang I like that little rifle

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Tis cute,ain't it?!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It is cute. A lot of fun too, and handy for walkabout.

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I'm SURE it is!!!!!!!!!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Here is an article on the 1895 SBL, which comes with XS sights and a scope mount. I have the original 1895 with the 22" barrel that got cut down to 18.5" long before there was a guide gun. That gun didn't come with a good recoil pad so I had the Pachmayer Decelerator pad put on, and had it sent out for the chrome matt finish, since I've added the XS sights. I'm getting too old and cantakorous not to have my guns the way I want them. http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ST_model1895SBL_200903/

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Good article and NICE rifle. Probably talking in the $850 range?
Best price I've gotten so far for the std Guide Gun is $529 out the door.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Congratulations on a great rifle! Hands down, my favorite of the new crop of Marlins. IMHO, they got everything right on that one. I thought I was done buying leverguns, but dang...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I have both, a straight grip and a pistol grip rifle. The straight grip looks good but hurts a lot more when I shoot it. The stock does not fit me at all and the lever hurts my hands on recoil with moderate loads. I have large hands, a person with small hands and shorter arms may love the Guide guns. My 45-70 SS (not stainless but sporter with safety) fits my build much better. I'm 6'2" with 34" arms and large hands. I like a 14 1/4 to 14 1/2 inch pull so the pistol grip is far more comfortable for me.

If at all possible, shoot one of each before you buy. That is assuming that you are buying utility and not appearance. The rifle as pictured in Shane's post looks to be an excellent combination of the best of both GG and SS styles. My opinion, YMMV.

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
My SIL is the same size as you so I'll tell him what you posted. Just no way he'll be able to shoot either cause we don't know anyone with them. We'll hit the shops and try to find some to handle. NOT buying for appearance but cost is an issue. HOPEFULLY I'll sell what I got posted in the classifieds here and that will give us more cash to play with.

THANKS for all the replies! They've helped.

Last edited by EZEARL; 05/12/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned and shot heavy handloads in both and I prefer the pistol grip.

Deus Juvat

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 28 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,197
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.