Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sky Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I just got some bullets that are molly coated and I want to remove it. What have you guys found to be the best method? I was thinking I'd just put them in the old tumbler with some new media, but am open to suggestions.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tumble them in rice Russ

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by blanket
Tumble them in rice Russ

Russ,

How long does the process require? Is the moly completely removed?

Thanks,
M Bell

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tumble them. While I didn't use rice (regular corncob media), it did remove all of the moly. However, it did take a while.

S
Sky Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the replies. That is what I figured, although the rice is a new twist.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Tumble them. While I didn't use rice (regular corncob media), it did remove all of the moly. However, it did take a while.

Sounds like good advice. I'm going to try it!

Thanks,
M Bell

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just did some for a friend
Soak in white spirits overnight , then tumble the little suckers for a day or two, then throw away the media used.
Rice is good as it costs a hell of a lot less than the proper stuff
rob

FZY Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I put my bullets in a medium sized medicine bottle, added denatured alcohol and sealed the top with electrical tape. Threw the bottle in my tumbler and ran it for 10 min. Took out dumped in a pan and wiped off with clean rag. Worked great. Wear gloves unless you want black hands.

Mike

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I tumbled them in walnut shell media and it worked fine though it did take some time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not had a lot of experience with moly coated bullets. Only shot some factory loads in my 7mm WSM. They were Winchesters. The bullets were black so I assume they had a moly coating. Excuse my ignorance but is moly coating bad? Does it build up in the bore? Is that the problem? I know they were the hottest thing available when they came out but I guess they have fallen out of favor. I reload 99.9% of my stuff so I have never bought any or applied any coating to them. Just curious. Thanks, Dee

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wiped some done with acetone, worked great.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think shooting them into a dirt back stop about 200 yards away will do the trick.

NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Never really paid attention to how long, I just put them in my Dillion with a bag of rice and the next day they are free of the coating. Russ

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by blanket
Never really paid attention to how long, I just put them in my Dillion with a bag of rice and the next day they are free of the coating. Russ

Russ,

I,m definitely going to do this! I've got several hundred (could be 1500 or so) in .25 caliber I have not been using because they have the moly coating. With the cost of bullets now being what it is, the price of the rice would be a most worthwhile investment!

Thanks for the good info,
M Bell

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Shoot them thru bambi... Works every time.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 65 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,884
Posts18,497,798
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.