-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Getting back into reloading after years and have a couple questions working up loads.

I've got a project gun that I am hoping to get everything I can out of it accuracy wise. Got a 7MM Rem Mag 110E Savage in exchange for a little more then an hours work. What a rifle bring into hunt camp if it's a tack driver!

Going to start out with 139Gr SST's from Hornady and possibly 140 Gr Nosler BT's by fall.

Just as a start, going to try H-1000 powder, maybe drank the koolaid? But the idea of an 'extreme' powder that performs fairly the same hot or cold appealed to me. Seeing it hit the shelves and remain consistently available was also a sell.

Hodgdon H1000, from the hip, seems ideal for the 7mm Rem Mag, anyone not pleased with it?

First off, maybe just questioning my procedure as much as anything, but I am thinking about loading a few up a few to the recommended C.O.L. at 67Gr, 67.5Gr, 67.5 , you get he picture, and to compare a few holes, and watch for pressure signs. Then play with moving the bullet fwd, replaying with charge weights to find my best load.

Trying to save trips to the range, or speed up the process, should I start with the bullet closer to the lands?

If so, what should I start the charge at?

Guess my main question would be getting a few tips working up loads from scratch, and rebuild my confidence after years off the RL bench?

Any information will help!

Thanks in advance!!!

Kevin

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
read a couple reloading manuals, then read them again. Hornady and nosler would be fine considering they are the two bullets you are considering using. Look at the data closely and use (start with) the powder that performs the best according to their data. Also, invest in a chronograph. Prochrono digital's are about 100 bucks. There is only one way to know what your velocity really is...measure it. When testing your loads, shoot 3 shot groups and let your barrel cool. never shoot it hot. clean it regularly so that you are actually testing your loads and not getting fooled by a severely fouled bore. Good luck! This reloading thing can be addictive once you get into it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Kevin,
I tried various powders (IMR 4831, RL-22, IMR 7828) in my 7mm Remington mag, but none could match H-1000 for accuracy with Nosler Ballistic Tip 140 and 150 grain bullets, Sierra 160 grain boat tail bullets and Sierra 150 match bullets. I use CCI 250 primers and Remington brass. I don't hot rod my loads for max velocity. Work up your loads following what's listed in the various reloading manuals, follow their notes as to what specific componants are used (primers & brass & powder) and pay attention to signs of excessive pressure and you should not have any problem finding a good load.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Kevin, I had a rifle like yours, cousin has it now.

I shot a load of 63.0g of H4350, Rem case, 9 1/2 primer, 154g Hornady SST, jammed the lands .003(don't worry, it won't pull the bullet out)@3150 fps. I shot 65-66g of H4350 same case and primer with the 140g Nosler BT. The 154g Hornady SST is a whale of a deer bullet!

This load shot in the 3/8" or less with three shot groups. I had Sharp shooter supply pillar bed the stock, and added a vias muzzle break. I could see the water vapor fly off the deer's hide when I hit them.

Hope this helps!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would give you two bits of advice.

Move up your powder charge in 1 grain increments, you aren't going to see enough diff with 1/2 grain when using that much powder.

Start out seating your bullet .010" off the lands, and go BACK from there, after you have a good charge weight. You're going to realize better accuracy seating closer to the lands. Of course this depends on if your load still fits the mag.

I went through all this with my 7Mag this spring.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Shoot your groups as listed on this site, then visit this site with a picture of your groups so that they can tell you what looks good for you.

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=4

Best way to find an optimal load for a new combination.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Getting back into reloading after years and have a couple questions working up loads.

Going to start out with 139Gr SST's from Hornady and possibly 140 Gr Nosler BT's by fall.

Any information will help!

Thanks in advance!!!

Kevin

I had a 139gr SST come apart after hitting one rib on a deer when using a 7mm-08 at a slow 2600ish MV. That was the second occurance for me and SSTs. I moved on to the 139gr Interbond and have been happy ever since. You'd be much better off with the standard 139gr SP if you want to keep costs low. If you want the fancy plastic tip, go with the IB.

RH

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Retumbo is very good powder in the 7 mag as well.

70grs retumbo, 160gr Nosler partition,Federal LRM primer shoots consistantly under 2 inches at 300 for me.Velocity is around 2900 in my 26 barrel.

Thought I'd throw that in there in case your rifle doesn't like the lightweights

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
RL22 is a friend of many 7 mag shooters. For those lucky enough to get max velocity and accuracy at the same time!

Last edited by Dufur; 05/17/10.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like H 1000 in the 300 Win Mag with heavy bullets... I think it is a little slow for max velocity in the 7 Rem Mag tho..

the 7 Rem Mag is essentially closer to the 30/06 than even the 280 is...

for a bullet weight of 154 grains and under, I prefer to use something along the lines of 4064, 4895 RL 15 for the 7 Maq....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm shooting 65.3grs of IMR-4350 and 69.5grs of either Winchester WXR or Reloader-22.I was thinking you should be able to load 70 plus with H-1000,so I looked in my Hornady manual and they show 72.8grs as a max load @ 3100fps.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks so much for all the help!

There are no words to describe what it's like to fill the hopper of a measuring-charger and memories just from the smell while watching a scale beam work it's way to the center-line!

I really like the idea of loading up a spread and shooting them 'round-robin' and comparing the holes, tracking the trends! Thank would have saved hundreds of rounds years ago with the ol load-some shoot-some method.

Starting from scratch, things sprouted legs through the years, but am feeling a little confidant with just a Lee Challenger kit. That cheep looking little scale knows the difference between just a few grains of powder!

Picked up about 250 - 260 rounds of used Winchester brass from a guy that has the brass contract for a rather large shooting range, on the rich-side of town. Mentioning that I would not question his price if I got all what looks like 'once-fired' Win 7mmRM brass from his stash of several thousand pounds. It looks like he did a very good job for me, prolly even have about 60 once-fired nickle-platted in the bag, not sure what they will serve, but something special, maybe the annual Song Dog Coyote competition? ! This should be enough brass to get me back into the swing of things, and enough to supply neck-sized only target/varmint loads as they fire-form.

You guys have helped a lot, it's been 20 years since I pulled the press-lever, it's comming back slowely!

What a time! Premium Boolets snuck up to $2-bucks a thump!

Thanks for the ideas!

Kevin Salonek

Clinging to my God, and my guns!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.