Originally Posted by Youper
Sunday was a calm sunny day here, and I took a couple of pokes at 600. The I'm on enough that I should start in the black with any kind of decent wind. If I understand you correctly, after the sighters I should just use Kentucky windage? That is what I did last year, but mainly because just have the regular VX-II adjustment, no turrets. Really this isn't a F-class rifle I'm using, just a model 70 .30-'06 with a 3-9x40. Desire and opportunity aren't(yet)enough to spring for a dedicated rifle.

I've never shot in Kentucky. smile

I'm an old(ish) shooter who experiences "senior moments." I am the guy you can count on to put the wrong direction on the scope and lose points because of that. So, I try to mess with my scope as litle as possible during a match and just about never when shooting for record. I learned this the hard way.

The way I do it is when I get to the range and look at the flags, I make up my mind as to what the windage will be and dial it it. If I have done my job correctly, my first round will be in the black, as the proper elevation. I may adjust the elevation because that's one I do not want to have to favor. I will most probably adjust the windage and fire the second sighter. After that, I hold off on the target as I watch the conditions.