Print Thread
Hop To
C
CraigP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Was up on Lake Ontario last week for some spring time trout fishing. I thought I would share some of the pics. We fished with Dave Wilson Fishing Charters out of Oswego, NY.

Me after a whopping 3 hours sleep the night before.
[Linked Image]

Oswego on the way out of the harbor.
[Linked Image]

Sunrise over Lake Ontario.
[Linked Image]

1st brown of the trip.
[Linked Image]

My second one.
[Linked Image]

A nice rainbow that was a throwback. It didn't quite reach the 21" it needed to be to keep.
[Linked Image]

My buddy Scott with the biggest brown of the trip: 13.5lbs, 28.25" long, 18.75" girth. What a hog.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/CraigP/2010%20Lake%20Ontario/DSC00700.jpg[/img]

Another throwback rainbow, 20" long. 1" shy of the magic 21" minimum.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/CraigP/2010%20Lake%20Ontario/DSC00702.jpg[/img]

My last brown of the trip and the one that limited me out. He came in the last few minutes we had to fish.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/CraigP/2010%20Lake%20Ontario/DSC00706.jpg[/img]

A good days catch.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/CraigP/2010%20Lake%20Ontario/DSC00712.jpg[/img]

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sweeeeeet!

I t sucks not getting sleep until the fish start biting

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you had a good time. Ontario sure is a great fishery.

Oswego is very familar to me. I went to college there 68-72. I remember during that time when there was news that they put a few coho in the lake. They sure cranked up the stocking over the years.

We used to fish the warm water outlet of the coal burning power plant next to the college every spring. We caught white bass and the occasional shad or smallmouth. We used to compete to see who would get to one hundred first. I have been back occasionally over the decades. When I brought my boat I also fished the River just upstream of the Rt 104 bridge and caught a ton of smallies. At some point the white bass disappeared from the lake entirely.

Hope you get to go out again.

C
CraigP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It was a blast Azshooter. I am now planning 2 more trips this summer. 1 trip will be with the guys in the pics, and the 2nd will be with another group of guys from work. I am definitely starting to fall for the area. I'm 10 years from retirement and find myself starting to think where I'd like to retire to. The Oswego area has become a definite possibility.

Craig

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geez retire to Oswego? They have lots of bars and get some record snows. The two go well together. BUT the fishing can be good. Even the breakwalls have smallies and walleye. Not too sure I'd want to eat many fish though. Love canal upstream took care of that.

I grew up in Rochester and sure enjoyed the area for fishing. So many places to go and different species to fish. Finger Lakes, rivers and streams and Lake Ontario.

You should get a boat and do your own downrigger trolling. You could get out far more often.

A friend from Rochester used to be big into the trolling for trout in Ontario. I went with him when I visited my parents.

I was so impressed I bought a larger boat and added downriggers. I have used them successfully all over the west catching rainbows, browns, kokanee salmon, and lake trout. Stripers at Lake Powell. Have even caught largemouths in the fall when they chased schools of shad in the middle of the lake at Roosevelt Lake in Az.

These days my friend exclusively fishes for perch in Seneca and Canandagua lakes. Now that was some serious downsizing.

Best of luck on your next fishing trip.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 257Ackley, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,560 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,699
Posts18,534,626
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.