Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4094243 05/18/10
P
OP Offline
P
Buying some for Caribou Hunting south of Prudoe Bay. Any experience with their Fieldblazer boots. Cabelas has them on sale right now. I don't anticipate to extreme of cold but want something with good arch and insole support. Any other models than Fieldblazer you think are better?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Why Mucks and not Extratuffs?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a pair of Muck boots. IMO, they're the most comfortable boot I've ever owned, much like wearing a tennis shoe. However, my feet get cold when the temp gets below 30 degrees and they're prone to snagging and tearing on thorns.

Pro: Good scent control, comfortable

Cons: Not extremely tough or warm.

They're great for early season archery.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i like for wet conditions chasing birds or WT hunting in the wet south

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
P
OP Offline
P
cabelas has mucks. do they have extratuffs

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Papsmear, are you in Alaska or outside? Cabelas does not sell Xtra-Tuffs.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Muck boots?--you mean irrigating boots?......feeding boots?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
On a boat, Xtra-Tuffs can't be beat, but for off-road use I like a boot with more ankle support and a more aggressive tread.

I've had a set of the LaCrosse Alpha Burly's, but the rubber camo-coating broke down at the ankle. Now they leak.

I've got a set of WoodyMax Muck boots, as well. The toe snagged something during a hike (without me noticing) and tore a chunk out of the rubber. Even with the hole in them, they don't leak, which kind of surprised me.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a pair of Woody Sport Mucks last year. I find them fairly warm and stiff through the ankle. They've remained completely waterproof through deer season, a very wet spring turkey season plus 3 days in OKL chasing turks in the non-stop pouring rain. Only complaint,my feet do sweat in them a little bit.

Last edited by HuntKY; 05/18/10.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Papsmear, are you in Alaska or outside? Cabelas does not sell Xtra-Tuffs.

They do, right here-

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0021418830611a.shtml

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Owned 2 pair of over priced Edgewaters and they were junk. Cold and the uppers aren't durable and leaked like a sieve.

If you plan on walking thru brush and standing in water for any length of time, get another boot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I LOVE my Muck boots and mine are old enough they were made in the USA by Americans. Still going strong after six years of use in snow up to thirty eight inches deep and below zero temperatures. Today they are made in China. When my Mucks wear out I will miss them but it will be a cold wet day in Hell before I buy China made boots.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Scott,
What boot would you buy? I've got a caribou hunt in N.Quebec this fall and have been leaning towards the Muck boot. The ankle fit is important to me. And, most reviews rate them well.

Having said that, I'd prefer to buy American if I can -- so, is there a boot that is the equivalent of the Muck boots?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The short answer is "Not that I know of."

I like leather even in wet weather. Remember I live on the Olympic Peninsula and thus have at least a little experience with wet. grin

I recently bought THESE and really like them. I them dry and in good shape with regular treatments of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP All made in the USA.
[Linked Image]

Don't know why the link does not worn but they are model DH9760. Use the search to find them or order Here

My boots provide excellent support where needed, have traction and grip better than any other boot I have owned and my feet are warm, dry and do not hurt after a twelve to fourteen hour day and up to eleven mile hikes. I love my Mucks for farm work but in rough country they stay at home.

Last edited by Scott F; 05/18/10.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
I LOVE my Muck boots and mine are old enough they were made in the USA by Americans. Still going strong after six years of use in snow up to thirty eight inches deep and below zero temperatures. Today they are made in China. When my Mucks wear out I will miss them but it will be a cold wet day in Hell before I buy China made boots.

I called MBC and relayed the same message. The China concern fell on deaf ears.I told them that I would wear flip-flops in two feet of snow before purchasing their products again.

I'm gonna miss mine when they're worn out.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have worn Mucks for a number of years. Very good boot. Warm and dry. Easy to put on and off. The tread design could be better for climbing hills and mountains with wet leaves on the ground.. Air Bob soles would be better. Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

+1. Wife had me buy her a pair of black Mucks. Agressive treads. They have wworn like iron. Deer hunting every year. Barn work every day. I am on my second pair of camo woody max compared to hers. The camo composition does not seem to be as tough as the plain black. They are more than comfortable and warm to us. Next pair I buy will be solid black.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

P
OP Offline
P
Well, here's the rest of the story.
I ordered Muck 16" Woody Sports from Cabela's.
Thanks for all your thoughts. When it's all said and done, bantered about and rehashed, a decision has to be made. I believe I made the right decision, But, I couldn't have done it without your collective help.
Have A Perfect Day! I Plan To.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E

Yeah, but I'm sure they've passed a significant cost savings on to the customer and have significantly lowered the price while keeping the same quality laugh

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Academy has their version of the muck boots for 1/3 the price. They are good to about 30 degrees with a good wool sock. Very comfortable and easy to walk in. No leaks in 3 years. Paid 20 bucks for them.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.