Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Ive recently become aware of an area to hunt these exotic, elk size deer. Anybody know anything about em? Ever hunted em? What tactics?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

podunkennels:

Here's what Wikipedia says about them. I didn't realize that they were as big as an elk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambar_Deer

Here's some info about hunting them on Saint Vincent National Wildlife Refuge on a barrier island in Apalachicola Bay?
http://www.huntingreport.com/hunting_article_details.cfm?id=1661

I would talk to the the local game manager with Florida Fish & Game Dept. and see what he/she says about hunting them.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

G
GXB Offline
G
Sambar here stay close to thick cover. With strong senses of smell and hearing with the nerve to stand and let you walk past.They will sometimes honk like an airhorn as they break.Stags seem to bed for the day high on the hill in the thermals. Good luck. They are a worthwhile challenge.

Cheers GXB

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks fellas, GXB where are you located?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sambar deer are incorrectly assumed to be a flat land smwamp country deer because of the documentaries made in India where they originate.

The huge herds in those doc's that are stalked around the edges by tigers are not representative of these deer when they are relocated to deep forest country or mountainous terrain.

In Oz, these are the most highly prized animal on the continent and the only animal in the world where a doe is still a trophy because of the extreme difficulty in bagging one.

I have hunted several species of deer and although tend to be selective in what I take, have a 100% failure rate on sambar even though I hunted them over about 12 years.

It is common for the most esperienced hunters with decades of stalking experience behind them take many years before taking their first sambar.

They are also an extremely tough animal, much like the Nilgai, also from India, where the minimum cartridge recommendation may be a .30/06 but you will seldom see anything samaller than .338 with the .375 probably the most popular, followed by the .458, 9.3x62 and the new wildcat, the .35 Sambar which is the .300 WSM necked up. If well shot, they will run and hide and often be lost even with complete penetration.

A free range sambar is probably the most difficut deer species in the world to succeed at. When I was on the scoring committee for SCI downunder, whenever we got an application from an overseas hunter who was claiming to have gotten off a plane, gone into the bush and clocked a trophy stag, we all knew it was likely a BS claim and they largely proved to be animals with a chain on their leg, (aussie expression)with the application rejected.

No-one is that good and you cannot hope to be successful on a first hunt by using skill. It can only be a fluke.

On my first hunt, I now know I had the chance to take a stag. I was hunting mountain country with thick timber canopy and understory made up of dog bush, ferns and scrub.

I was high on the hill face leaning on a tree and looking down into the valley towards the river flats below. It ws raining quite hard so there was no point in moving about and slipping and falling, so I hunted using my eyes.

About 200 yards below me was an old fern which open like an umbrella providing a measure of shelter. The hood was perhaps 10 feet above ground for I noticed a large brown animal underneath seeking shelter, but I could not see the head as it was lowered to permit the rain to fall over it.

The heavy body of a sambar looks similar to a domestic cow as they also have shorter legs than an elk. I raised my .416 Weatherby housed in a firbermark stock and strained through the Leupold to see antler. I could not.

I was told cows in the area as some farmers had grazing leasses in this area of national park, so I refrained from taking the shot until I could Identify the animal even though the chest and shoulder were presented as a side on shot. To brake concentration, I looked away on several occasions looking back to see if there was a change in stance but he never moved.

At a point maybe 10 minutes after first contact, I looked back and he was gone. When I relayed my story to the other hunters in my group, they informed me that the cows in the ares were all black and white colored. It was indeed a samber and I had blown it. I heard this stag was shot about a week later in the same valley by a local hunter using a .300 Winchester (a cartridge with a deplorable reputation on sambar)and lost. Teh antlers wer e claimed to be around 26-28 inches which is a big animal. A 30 inch head is the holy grail.

Over the next dozen years, I hunted them many times up to a week at a time. I walked past them and they smashed down trees and brush in their escape, but I never saw them. I saw hoof prints on top on my boot marks where we overlapped the same places within minutes of each other, Saw flashes of color and listned to the tree busting up as they escaped after I had stalked past their hidden forms. You get the picture.

Now, some facts:

The will hide in bush and watch you go past.
The will lay in a river with their notrils exposed to hide from you.
They obviously swimm with proficiency.
They tend to be solo or travel in very small groups contrary to the large numbers you see on the doc's
They can jump fences as well as any whitetail
They love thick timber country and will graze in the low lands at night and move up to the higher elevations to catch the rising scents.

The best way to hunt them I( according to those w3ho know)is to stop stalking them as you emulate a tiger when you do that and inadvertently alert these deer to your presence. You will se more animals when you walk along giving up on a hunt and walking abck to camp which indicated that they are curious about the abnormal noise you are making.

Many hunters report the feeling of being watched as they take a pee or are even skinning a carcass, to find a stag standing right there in the open looking intently at them. Faster than you can curse, they are gone.

I encourage any hunter to try for sambar and enjoy the thril of being outsmarted. Just don't brag too loudly if you stumble onto one on the first hunt. A great many highly experienced hunters fail. I did, but I hunted the mighty sambar and I have the memories.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Podunk--I've made the St. Vincent Island hunt for Sambar and it is a challenge. I think if you check records, there are in the neighborhood of 135 hunters allowed on the hunt and an average of maybe 4-6 Sambar killed. Part of the reason is the way they conduct the hunt. When I went(3yrs ago), you could only camp on one end of the Island--it's 8 miles long. You could only hunt until 3pm. You would have to leave camp, by foot-- early enough to get to your stand by first light--in my case that was a one hour walk, mostly in sand. There is no potable water available so you will have to carry everything you might need in with you. You'll have to hire someone to ferry you over to the island and bring you back. I shot a hind, with muzzle-loader. Game wardens and I tracked her for about 600 yds thru some very thick stuff before we lost sign. Counting the one I shot, there were 5 sambar shot, two were Stags. Having said all that, I did put in for the hunt again last year, but was not drawn--I'll probably put in again this year. I hunted them just like whitetails, with a climbing tree stand--there are plenty of climbable trees. An interesting hunt, but keep in mind, your chances of even seeing one are not very good. If you get drawn give me ring and I'll help you with your google scouting,--Bill

It's the hunt, not the kill.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm sure the hunt you are considering is on Saint Vincent WR. This is where the Red Wolves are bred that have been stocked in NC. I heard one howling the first night. All hunts are draw with long odds. A buddy put us in for the hunt & we drew the first year. Others in Florida told us they had been in the drawing for up to 10 years without success. You have to hire a boat to transport you there & back. You have to carry every thing with you & drag it up the beach to the camping area. I was over 65 at the time with a bad back so hauling coolers with food iced down, booze, beer, sleeping bags, tent, screen room, & hunting gear including climbing stands was a hassle. There are no facilities on the island. The Porto Potties smelled so bad that by the second day I used the swamp for nature's call. We had a great time, but locals who hunt deer there knew the areas to hunt. One morning well before before fist light I was carefully walking to my stand. A nice gator decided it was his territory so I left. The mosquitoes are thick & very hungry. Its hard to believe how many skeeters there are. You need a screen house to eat in without being devoured. When you do the potty thing the call goes out to the skeeters for prime white meat. One evening I was organizing gear for the next morning & discovered a beautiful pygmy rattler under my gear. I gave the snake to a wildlife officer who was very pleased. I wasn't. If you can prescout a number of times you have a chance for success. We scouted one day & it wasn't sufficient. The hunt ends around 2:00PM so there is no evening hunting. Only primitive weapons allowed. One very nice stag was shot & a couple of others. Interesting hunt, but without a lot of prescouting you are just on a primitive camping trip. We had lots of time to catch up on our drinking. It was interesting once, but I have no desire to return with the gators, snakes, & bugs.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds like a splendid Floridian style outing. Just like the family camping trips of my childhood. Thanks for the input fellas. Aussie Im sure there wont be any bragging, is cursing acceptable after ones first sambar hunt?

G
GXB Offline
G
Podunkkennels,
Located in Australia.(keep that a secret)Pretty much to agree with aussiegunwriter's theme. going out for a look tomorrow.
Cheers GXB

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Anybody know anything about em? Ever hunted em? What tactics?

Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Sambar deer are incorrectly assumed to be a flat land smwamp country deer because of the documentaries made in India where they originate.

The huge herds in those doc's that are stalked around the edges by tigers are not representative of these deer when they are relocated to deep forest country or mountainous terrain.

In Oz, these are the most highly prized animal on the continent and the only animal in the world where a doe is still a trophy because of the extreme difficulty in bagging one.

I have hunted several species of deer and although tend to be selective in what I take, have a 100% failure rate on sambar even though I hunted them over about 12 years.

It is common for the most esperienced hunters with decades of stalking experience behind them take many years before taking their first sambar.

They are also an extremely tough animal, much like the Nilgai, also from India, where the minimum cartridge recommendation may be a .30/06 but you will seldom see anything samaller than .338 with the .375 probably the most popular, followed by the .458, 9.3x62 and the new wildcat, the .35 Sambar which is the .300 WSM necked up. If well shot, they will run and hide and often be lost even with complete penetration.

A free range sambar is probably the most difficut deer species in the world to succeed at. When I was on the scoring committee for SCI downunder, whenever we got an application from an overseas hunter who was claiming to have gotten off a plane, gone into the bush and clocked a trophy stag, we all knew it was likely a BS claim and they largely proved to be animals with a chain on their leg, (aussie expression)with the application rejected.

No-one is that good and you cannot hope to be successful on a first hunt by using skill. It can only be a fluke.

On my first hunt, I now know I had the chance to take a stag. I was hunting mountain country with thick timber canopy and understory made up of dog bush, ferns and scrub.

I was high on the hill face leaning on a tree and looking down into the valley towards the river flats below. It ws raining quite hard so there was no point in moving about and slipping and falling, so I hunted using my eyes.

About 200 yards below me was an old fern which open like an umbrella providing a measure of shelter. The hood was perhaps 10 feet above ground for I noticed a large brown animal underneath seeking shelter, but I could not see the head as it was lowered to permit the rain to fall over it.

The heavy body of a sambar looks similar to a domestic cow as they also have shorter legs than an elk. I raised my .416 Weatherby housed in a firbermark stock and strained through the Leupold to see antler. I could not.

I was told cows in the area as some farmers had grazing leasses in this area of national park, so I refrained from taking the shot until I could Identify the animal even though the chest and shoulder were presented as a side on shot. To brake concentration, I looked away on several occasions looking back to see if there was a change in stance but he never moved.

At a point maybe 10 minutes after first contact, I looked back and he was gone. When I relayed my story to the other hunters in my group, they informed me that the cows in the ares were all black and white colored. It was indeed a samber and I had blown it. I heard this stag was shot about a week later in the same valley by a local hunter using a .300 Winchester (a cartridge with a deplorable reputation on sambar)and lost. Teh antlers wer e claimed to be around 26-28 inches which is a big animal. A 30 inch head is the holy grail.

Over the next dozen years, I hunted them many times up to a week at a time. I walked past them and they smashed down trees and brush in their escape, but I never saw them. I saw hoof prints on top on my boot marks where we overlapped the same places within minutes of each other, Saw flashes of color and listned to the tree busting up as they escaped after I had stalked past their hidden forms. You get the picture.

Now, some facts:

The will hide in bush and watch you go past.
The will lay in a river with their notrils exposed to hide from you.
They obviously swimm with proficiency.
They tend to be solo or travel in very small groups contrary to the large numbers you see on the doc's
They can jump fences as well as any whitetail
They love thick timber country and will graze in the low lands at night and move up to the higher elevations to catch the rising scents.

The best way to hunt them I( according to those w3ho know)is to stop stalking them as you emulate a tiger when you do that and inadvertently alert these deer to your presence. You will se more animals when you walk along giving up on a hunt and walking abck to camp which indicated that they are curious about the abnormal noise you are making.

Many hunters report the feeling of being watched as they take a pee or are even skinning a carcass, to find a stag standing right there in the open looking intently at them. Faster than you can curse, they are gone.

I encourage any hunter to try for sambar and enjoy the thril of being outsmarted. Just don't brag too loudly if you stumble onto one on the first hunt. A great many highly experienced hunters fail. I did, but I hunted the mighty sambar and I have the memories.

JW

I have a little knowledge of em, so I will say what I can.

I have been busted by a few on the stalk, only to be kept in the freeze/same position for up to 15 minutes, & usually on the side of a wet slippery dirty great big hill/mountain.
Then they will 'backdoor' you, so to speak or 360 you, for easier wording, only to resume back in the same area an hour or so later.
Or zigzag for a few hundred then do a 90 degree then zigzag only to do another 90 back.
And once they are onto you there is usually none of this running for 50-100 then looking back. I wish.
Stags in particular will run flat out, usually knocking down whatever is in their way, until the next system, where they WILL wait, wait & wait some more listening for the female Sambar to give a sign or for the Kookaburra(Birds) to give you away. If not the Burra's it's near certain the moist yet dry crunchy underfoot areas will. Swirly wind that moves in nearly every direction most of the time, & the list goes on!
Pretty much what AGW stated.

There is a saying here. The 'Sambar are where they are' & 'that's Sambar hunting for ya'.

If I could give a few tips on my passion. It would be: stalk according to the wind & conditions, glass allot, slow & steady, expect the unexpected, some good worn-in boots & watch out for those bloody wriggly-sticks(aka snakes, usually browns & tigers eek ).
There is one thing I can guarantee. Once one starts stalking the mighty Sambar you will be hooked for life!

If you have any other questions feel free to throw me a PM & I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers & happy hunting Sir

Last edited by 340Wby; 04/30/10.

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This paints a picture on Sambar & the area we stalk them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM8xiRDkyNw

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A point not made yet is that Aussies are not tree stand hunters. They are stalkers. If you ever saw a tree stand in the bush, you would automatically assume it was a poacher, or a sleezeback of some sort. There is an incredible ethics applied to deer hunting there. A hunter who is ever caught spotlighting a deer is literally despised and denigrated by the hunting community.

If I ever lived in Australia again, it would be in sambar country. The ultimate challenge.

JW

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
A point not made yet is that Aussies are not tree stand hunters. They are stalkers. If you ever saw a tree stand in the bush, you would automatically assume it was a poacher, or a sleezeback of some sort. There is an incredible ethics applied to deer hunting there. A hunter who is ever caught spotlighting a deer is literally despised and denigrated by the hunting community.

If I ever lived in Australia again, it would be in sambar country. The ultimate challenge.

JW

Well said JW!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should also say JW. If you are ever down this way(Vic) mate, send me a PM & we'll work out a stalk or so, chat over a few beers as it's always a fine moment to meet a man with the passion as yours & the Sambar!

Cheers good stalking Sir

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have seen them quite a few times while hunting on St.Vincents. I put in for the Sambar hunt for about 10 years and never got drawn. Good luck on getting drawn if you put in for the hunt. They only take like 50-100 people on the hunt and you have to camp at one of two camp grounds on the Island. You must walk to wherever you plan on hunting. It a big island also, around 12K acres IIRC. Pm me if you want some more info on the hunts. My best buddies wife was the Co-manager of the Island with the NWFS.

W
W
"Possessing intimate knowledge of Sambar Deer behaviour and the areas he hunts, Errol walked me into a carefully selected remote location where, alone, I waited in ambush for this magnificent Sambar Stag. Using a Browning Safari Grade 30/06 fitted with a bright Swarovski 2.5 to 10 x 56 scope hired to me by Errol, I was able to kill the stag cleanly despite the very low light, with a single shot to the neck from 24 paces."
=================================

Car Parts| Auto Parts

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My parents live on SGI; the island adjacent to St Vincnet. I've put in and never been drawn. we have been on teh island several times. I think the snakes may outnumber the bugs.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Somehow, snakes and Sambar go together. The sambar are there to distract you.

JW

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
The idea of an elk sized animal right here in my backyard without my ever knowing of them is quite surprising. Im going to apply as long as it takes to get a crack at one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,517
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.