-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I almost brought up the gas thing, highwayman. But it usually starts a fight on here smile

I refuse ethanol in everything, especially small engines. If ever a day comes that ethanol can be brought to market without adding to the national deficit I may consider burning it. But probably not as it destroys seals and gaskets and other important stuff.

Screw ethanol.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by highwayman
On the subject of chainsaws, do any of you guys feel that premium gas is a good idea in order to avoid the ethanol mixtures in regular?
I have a tendency to use premium in all my small engines since I found out they start easier with it.

A great idea, since ethanol will destroy/stretch the diaphram in the fuel pumps of two-stroke engines in short order.
Premium fuel (or avgas if you have access to it) are the best thing you can do for any two stroker you have these days. With MTBE being outlawed, regular or mid-grad gasoline can be expected to have a shelf-life of 30-45 days without a quality storage additive. I use PRI-G in all of the gas I buy, whether it be in the vehicles or in a can.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I run premium, non ethanol doped fuel in all my two stroke equipment.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I use seafoam to treat my gas.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by northern_dave
mmm, chainsaws.... grin

Jonsered 2165

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cut heap big wood, make heap big fire!

[Linked Image]

Cleanest 'working' saw I've ever seen. Must be the 'before' pics. grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep!

Too clean.

That handful of shavings is prolly from an old beat up 50cc Stihl.

False advertising?

grin

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ps

We should have known...
Pics from one of the members who caught....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is what works for me: I cut a few cords of firewood each year and find that a 28" bar saves my back because I don't have to bend over as far using it. With my back, that is a big deal.

I just traded in an 8 year old Stihl MS460 and got a new Stihl 362R. There were never any problems with the MS460, I just wanted a lighter saw that would still run a 28" bar. The 362 is a couple pounds lighter than the 460 was, and I can really tell the difference. It's also the lightest Stihl that can use a 28" bar. It costs $720 with the wrap handle.

I also invested in an Oregon lightweight bar a few years ago (I bought it for the 460 and it fits the 362, so I'm using the same bar as before)that has an aluminum center in it that balances better than the all steel bar and of course, is lighter. They're expensive, but well worth it to me. They run about $150 now, I think.

For chain I run 3/8", Full Comp, Round Chisel, in .063 gauge. I find the 3/8 will cut anything I put it into without going to the larger 404, and the .063 gauge bar doesn't fill up with wood like an .050 gauge can if I cut soft/wet wood. The Full Comp chain has more cutters than Skip (that's why they call them full and skip)and I think it stays sharp longer and cuts faster. Full Skip is best for soft wood and wood that swells (like cedar), where you need the extra space between cutters to haul chips.

I would run round teeth because it can stay sharp longer if you get into dirt, but Stihl doesn't make it in 3/8",.063 gauge.

I have a little Stihl 210 that I use if I stick my bigger saw, for some limbing, and to throw in the truck when I go somewhere. It's got a 16" bar and it's really cute, but if I had to use it to cut all my wood, I'd buy a heatpump. Like some guys have said though, a smaller than 28" bar works fine, if your back is in better shape than mine. smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don't know much about chainsaws, but my 25 year old Partner died, and a new ignition coil is $50-70, so I'm looking for a replacement. What I've read here has been very helpful indeed. So, thanks everyone.

What I found by reading owner reviews is that Homelite, "home grade" Poulan and Craftsman are strongly disliked by people who own them. based on that, my guess is that they are brands to avoid.

Be not weary in well doing.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by denton
Don't know much about chainsaws, but my 25 year old Partner died, and a new ignition coil is $50-70, so I'm looking for a replacement. What I've read here has been very helpful indeed. So, thanks everyone.

What I found by reading owner reviews is that Homelite, "home grade" Poulan and Craftsman are strongly disliked by people who own them. based on that, my guess is that they are brands to avoid.

Pioneer/Partners were good saws- I'm still running Pioneers that my grandfather bought back in the early 1970's. Can't kill them. You should be able to find a coil for your Partner for a lot less than $50, google it and you'll find a lot of places that still have surplus parts for them. If it has been that good of a saw (and most were), fix it when you get around to it and keep it for a backup.
You're right on the box store saws. The advice in this thread is sound- you can't go wrong with a pro-grade Stihl or Husky. They are worth what you pay.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
i have husky 372 wih 24 inch bar cut around 15 cords per year. works great the biggest thing youll want to learn is how to sharpen your chains correctly. you can have a great day in the woods with a sharp chain. or a misarable one with a dull chain. good luck. joe

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
[Linked Image]

Dad has been dead now since 1997, and I have no idea how log h had this saw prior to that, but I'm guessing close to 20 years. It is a Husqvarna 61. Great saw! Starts good, runs good, and cuts like a hot knife through butter.

And for you guys that feel the need to lean on a saw to get it to cut better, keep the rakers filed right, and let the saw do the work - otherwise, buy an axe. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heat with wood and burn 4-6 cord a year. I have no problem with my Stihl MS270 Wood Boss for cutting 6 or so cord every year.

I'd say Stihl or Husqvarna. Don't pick yer saw with I think this will do the job I need but by I know this will do the job. A bit more saw is better than a bit less saw.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another Husky 61.. Great saw, too bad we can't get them here.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pretty chips; it looks like plastic grin. I've never cut wood that color...I've never seen wood that color. What is it?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I'm not sure of the model #, but that 61 looks exactly like a model of Jansered that is sold in Canada. I have a friend that runs a small-engine and outboard shop up there in n.e. Ontario that sells Jansered (among many other things) and he said there are several model of Jansereds and Huskys available there that aren't in the US. Could this be one of them?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Pretty chips; it looks like plastic grin. I've never cut wood that color...I've never seen wood that color. What is it?

Some crazy jungle tree, maybe Peruba Rosa, maybe something else. Those chips oxidized to beige in just a few hours.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I'm not sure of the model #, but that 61 looks exactly like a model of Jansered that is sold in Canada. I have a friend that runs a small-engine and outboard shop up there in n.e. Ontario that sells Jansered (among many other things) and he said there are several model of Jansereds and Huskys available there that aren't in the US. Could this be one of them?

I don't know about the Jonsereds, but these 61's are made in Brazil Husqvarnas that are not available in the US, as it's a long discontinued model. Still a good saw. If they started remaking 288's, I'd smuggle one in for sure..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run Huskys and my dad runs Stihls. If I was going to choose between the two I would base the choice more on the quality and proximity of a local dealer, whether it's Stihl or Husky.

The saw in the picture is a Husqvarna 268. It's an older model that I doubt is in production any longer. It's a lot like the Husky 272/372 saw that has something of a cult following. The x72's hit a sweat spot on power, weight, and price that appeals to a lot of folks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I heard a rumour that Stihl no longer makes their saws but is having them made in China. I have no idea if this is true as the source is not always reliable. I would find out before making the choice to buy one.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,872 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,794
Posts18,477,352
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.