-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay! charged the battery, changed the oil and filter, put new plugs in it. When I attempted to start it the dash lights can on, but the engine didn't turn over. It is like nothing happens The boat is a Bayliner, with a 4 cylinder Volvo Pentax out-drive.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Did you test the battery after charging? Some will hold a minor charge (enough to light the dash) but not enough amps to crank the starter. If you hear clicking when the key is turned, but nothing else, might be time for a new battery.

If the battery checks out OK there's a wiring issue from the ignition to the starter.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There is no clicking, nothing.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd still check the amperage output on the battery before doing anything else. Any of the chain auto shops (Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc.) will do it for no charge. The clicking sound comes from the starter solenoid. It doesn't always click with a semi-dead battery.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a small thingy with a spiral wire to check the battery charge. It came from WalMart for about $8. I think Minnkota. It will tell you the amount of charge in your battery.

Do your dash lights dim, when you try the motor? If not, it may be a switch/contact problem.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a new battery, still the same thing. Dash-lights work, doesn't start. The light don't dim.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
make sure ALL of your terminals that you are attaching to your battery are
a) not loose, broken, or corroded
b) if corroded, take ScotchBrite or sandpaper to each terminal- clean both sides until all corrosion removed.

I've seen a few boats where there are so many connections to one battery that a couple fall down in the bilge only to be forgotten next season- left disconnected, an owner is left scratching his head on why things don't work. Make sure this isn't the case with your boat.

if the boat was stored where ANY moisture was present, it's possible the starter is corroded or seized. If all is good with battery, terminals are all connected and clean, sometimes a light tap with the proper adjustment tool (tinkin hammmer) will free the starter up. I have an old Suburban that sat for a while that the starter did that, until I finally decided to change it out.
Jim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 58 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,678
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.