Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, over the past several years at least one person has asked me about my secrets for reloading accurate ammo., so here they are. No doubt, these techniques, divulged for the first time ever right here, will cause many reloaders all over the country to re-evaluate their practices.

Here are my secrets: First, start with a quality rifle and a good barrel. If the barrel�s no good, get a custom barrel-maker to install a good one. Then, make sure your rifle has a quality stock�if the stock is no good, throw it out and get a McMillan or something else that�s good. Next, get a competent gunsmith to bed the stock and free-float the barrel, and while he�s at it, have him adjust the trigger to a nice clean break at 2 lbs. or so.

Once that�s done, get the best parallax-free scope you can afford, preferably with a good sharp reticle and a minimum of 9X magnification. Have your competent gunsmith install it on the rifle with good, solid rings and bases�avoid windage-adjustable bases at all costs�they may work but your friends will abandon you.

Then, get a quality front rest and rear bag and practice your bench technique.

Once you�ve done all that, then it�s time to reload. Buy quality equipment and components and get a good reloading manual. Your ammo�s sure to be accurate.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smoke pole got it all figured out and there's a lot of truth to it.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I did hold back on one of my secrets, and that is to try a few different bullet/powder combinations to see which one shoots best in your rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure that the omission of the all-important step of tumbling the cases is implied. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So now we know how you do it laugh

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Illuminating reloading procedure! grin

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I'm sure that the omission of the all-important step of tumbling the cases is implied. smile

Nah, corncobs are for pipes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Then, get a quality front rest and rear bag and practice your bench technique.

Yup. Lots more .5 rifles and loads than there are .5 shooters. frown

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geez I've been spewing my secrets for years... guess that why they are not too secretive... But they are legion�

Frankly I believe it only starts with quality equipment.

Still I like to separate the rifle from the load.

A good load will maximize the potential of any rifle... which in some cases will still not be good enough then you do all the barrel and stock stuff.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Once you�ve done all that, then it�s time to reload. Buy quality equipment and components and get a good reloading manual. Your ammo�s sure to be accurate.

While there is a certain facetious humor intended in your post, it is horribly surprising how few people subscribe to these tenets. The horror stories I have witnessed make me shudder.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
K.I.S.S. Or you can subscribe to the Germanic method: Why make it easy? With a little more effort, you can make it difficult. smile

Aim for the exit hole.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Blowtorch53
Smoke pole got it all figured out and there's a lot of truth to it.

+1+

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
There have been alot of good rifles sold or traded because of bad scopes, rings/bases and mounting jobs.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Heck, I know of a guy who was going to buy a .270 from a friend of mine. My friend let him try it out, the guy bought a box of ammo., took it out to shoot, and returned it, said he didn't want to buy it after all.

When asked why, he said: "the damn thing shoots two inches high and to the right, every time."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys got it right. It all has to be a good system. A bad scope on a pricey gun will make it shoot like a shotgun sometimes. Nerves are very important in shooting too. Like not having a bad hangover and the shakes and such. I guess the shooter is one of the most important parts of the system.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Guys I know who shoot competitively won't drink coffee before a match either.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.