Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Boman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For those of you who hunt Wyoming (nonresident) do you pick up leftover tags or are they over the counter? Buck tags or mostly doe? I'd like to do a hunt out up there since I only drew one Big game tag in CO this year. What am I looking at for public land and tag availability. Thanks

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Boman:

I've hunted antelope in Wyoming several times and had a blast each time. There are a bunch of units which will have leftover buck antelope tags. They are issued only at the Cheyenne and Sheridan offices of the F&G. They're not OTC.

The problem is that they are usually available in units which have limited access. Translate that to mean lots of private land. The trick is to find a little pocket of public land snuggled in amidst all the private land in that unit.

I've found one little spot and very few people hunt the area even though it is surrounded by private land that is generally locked up by high dollar outfitters. So you gotta do some exploring between now and October to find such a spot.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought they changed the leftover procedures when they went to the computerized system, and you can get leftover tags from anyplace with the computerized systems. Here is the leftover tag page that has the list of sellers. Look for the ones that say automated.
http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/license/leftover/index.asp
You can call Game and Fish and ask them at 307-777-4600.

Leftover lists are made available as soon as the resident draws are completed around July 1. Check early, check often, because it's first come, first served.

I agree that most leftover buck tags are for areas with limited public access. Leftover doe/fawn tags are frequently available for lands with a lot of public access.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 06/10/10.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cheyenne:

Thanks for the update. Looks like Wyoming is moving into the 21st century.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cheyenne is correct, and if you know the area you'd like to draw and a seller, you can fax your apps to them when the draw starts to have a better chance. There are usually lots of doe/fawn tags left but buck tags in an easily accessed area go fast. Good luck.

Golden............
IC B2

Boman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, great info their. Sounds like I'll be looking at doe tags which is fine. I'd love a buck tag but I don't have the time to go scouting up there or pay to access private land. I'll call that number and talk to the dow and see. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty sure you can do all this online also, at least for doe tags you can. last year I went ahead and got a 2nd doe tag in the left-over draw and did that online, they just sent me the tag in the mail. I think you can do the same for a buck tag, don't see why not anyway but I'm no expert. I will say there are plenty of left-over tags for both buck and doe in the central part of the state, and like was mentioned there is a lot of private but if one looks there are also plenty of blocks of public or blm, some isn't easy to access or maybe you have to walk in but it can be found. 2 years ago on my first trip we ended up hunting an active oil field since it was the only public in this particular unit, it was kind of weird seeing antelope all over the place and oil wells in the background, we talked to a couple of the oil rig workers who were more than helpful, they only asked that we not shoot any oil rigs:)

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 06/10/10.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In case it helps, HERE'S a thread that speaks to picking up WY tags and DYI, etc.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am by no means the expert on this stuff, but it appears they got rid of the leftover draw. Also, it looks like the leftover date for full price tags is July 6 and the leftover date for reduced price tags is July 20. I got that off the Internet, so YMMV.
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/10AppBooklet/10NRALL.pdf

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
LEFTOVER APPLICATION PERIOD AND LICENSE FEES
These Licenses are available after results are available until quota is exhausted

Full Price left over licenses will be sold at LSAs, Regional Offices, and the Internet beginning July 6.

Reduced Price left over licenses will be sold at LSAs, Regional Offices, and the Internet beginning July 20.

http://gf.state.wy.us/fiscal/license/draw/2009/nonresident/index.asp

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.